Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble Getting To Major With 38sc Schuemann Barrel

slidelock1

I've got an STI in 38 super with the Schuemann Barrel and STI comp. and three poppel holes on top. I've tried various powders and primers (including small rifle primers), with my 125gr. jhp bullets. It seems that I have to use more powder than the recipes I've seen posted to get to major. At about 1300fps +/- I start to see signs of overpressure in the primer, i.e. flattening, and near-piercing. Do any of you have any suggestions for powder/primer/bullet combination for me to try?

Thanks,

Mick

Use a slower powder. If you read on the schumman barrel spec's, carl say's to use acc.#7 or w-w571 to keep pressures down. Anything faster & you are on your own. I used #7 for 12 years and although it was a little dirtier it ran perfect & gave the flatest dot movement of all the powders. The faster the powder , the sooner it spikes in the chamber for higher pressures. Faster powders also work the comp less as they burn faster in the barrel instead of in the comp. They are pro's & con's on all powders so try them untill you find what you like.

I shoot an SV IMM Open gun in 38 super comp. The setup is very close to what you have. My load info:

10.4 gr VV 3N38

125gr Zero JHP

Starline Brass

Win Sm Rifle Primer

1.250 OAL

My load is right at 171 power factor and works the comp. Hope this helps.

Edited by Jaxshooter

slidelock1, what's the recipe you're currently running??

In theory, should should have less trouble than I have making major (I don't have any, actually, but it should be easier for you) - my gun is built on a Hybricomp barrel, and has a total of 6 holes in the barrel. My current load is:

125gr .356 Zero JHP

8.1gr 7625

WSR primer

Starline .38 Supercomp brass

1.240" OAL

That load makes 175PF. I see a very slight flattening of the shoulder of the primer, which is generally considered normal. To compare to Jaxshooter, it took me 9.8gr of 3N38 to make 170PF w/ a 125gr HAP.

Thanks for the reply. THAT is the load that I used with a WSMP. I was very concerned about the primer flattening and cratering.

I'm going to try some W571, from the reply above.

Thanks,

Mick

Thank you for the very quick reply. Can you give me a starting recipe for these powders?

Mick

Thank you for the very quick reply. Can you give me some starting recipes?

Mick

Edited by slidelock1

Mick, try a search on the forum - there's literally tons of information on loads for all powders listed here, and many more...

Which load was it that you used w/ a WSMP??

Powders that I have used that should work well and make major:

VV N105

IMR 4756

IMR 7625

I'm sure others will mention more. I have experience with these so thought I would mention them.

• 3 weeks later...

Try measuring your 38 super bullets and 9mm bullets. They are same thing. Some 9mm bullets measure same as 38 sup(.356). I'm thinking that they are all made from same mold. Not positive but it sure seems that way.

I've got an STI in 38 super with the Schuemann Barrel and STI comp. and three poppel holes on top. I've tried various powders and primers (including small rifle primers), with my 125gr. jhp bullets. It seems that I have to use more powder than the recipes I've seen posted to get to major. At about 1300fps +/- I start to see signs of overpressure in the primer, i.e. flattening, and near-piercing. Do any of you have any suggestions for powder/primer/bullet combination for me to try?

Thanks,

Mick

I have a sheuman barrel also in 38 sup. I use IMR 7625 7.3gr W/zero 125gr jhp. makes major no problems.