Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is It Worth It? (time And Money To Be Spent)

turbocomp38s

I have two open guns chambered that are 38 supers and wanting to convert them to 9 mm.

Is it really worth it? ( time and money to be spent)

Really need your help and advice what would be the best thing to do.

They are fairly new guns that was built around august 2006 and has only about 1100 rounds thru it. They are run 100% but thought about it lately that I have to pick those brass everytime I shoot.

Thanks in advance.

If the guns are that new, and work fine, the cost of changing them over would keep me from doing it. I'd think that even if you only recover most of your brass the cost difference in changing would pay for a lot of new brass to replace what you don't get back.

Consider shooting the guns as is with plans to change them out when you finally wear out the barrels. You may decide you really like .38 and want to stay with it. In this forum you will have a lot of company.

To do the job right, you are looking at a new barrel, a new comp (instead of the old comp so that it can be reamed in alignment with the new barrel) and possibly new mags (unless your mags are SVI) and the costs of the gunsmith doing all the work.

New 38 super brass is around $115 / m and once fired 9 mm is around $25 / m with shipping.

If the cost to convert the gun is $700 (my estimate for barrel, comp and fitting), you will need to lose around 7800 pieces of brass to breakeven. If you need to add in mags or spacers and new reloading dies, it gets worse.

Just a few things to think about.

Bill

I built my 9mm gun with the assumption that it was cheaper to shoot nine than 38super. However what it really boils down to is doing the math for how much you shoot and deciding how much you like bending over to pick up brass (I very much prefer not hunting for dimes in the snow, mud, dirt, gravel etc).

I generally pay around $20/1000 for once fired 9 brass. If you get your super brass for $100/1000 you need to reload your brass 5 times to break even. Get fewer reloads, 38 Super gets more expensive, get more reloads it gets cheaper. Yes you can reload the 9 brass but what's the point of cheap brass?

IMHO the only real difference between the two calibers (assuming a well built gun) is that I don't bend over near as much to pick up brass. Therefore, if I was making your decision I would shoot the hell out of the supers you have and when it is time to rebarrel you might decide which caliber you want then.

Good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

I had a gun in 38 super. Had it changed to 9mm. All I did was have a new barrel fit to existing comp & slide. I'd do it again.

Here is the thing. If you shoot a lot like some do for Steel Challenge, then you can load up 5K at a time for only $ 100 worth of brass instead of $ 500+ or shoot, pick-up, reload the same 1K over and over.

My steel gun is 9mm so my USPSA open gun is 9mm. Makes press set up easy. Heck, my limited / IDPA ESP gun is 9mm.

Did that help ?

I had a gun in 38 super. Had it changed to 9mm. All I did was have a new barrel fit to existing comp & slide. I'd do it again.

Here is the thing. If you shoot a lot like some do for Steel Challenge, then you can load up 5K at a time for only $ 100 worth of brass instead of $ 500+ or shoot, pick-up, reload the same 1K over and over.

My steel gun is 9mm so my USPSA open gun is 9mm. Makes press set up easy. Heck, my limited / IDPA ESP gun is 9mm.

Did that help ?

I agree. I switch from 38 super to a 9mm when my gun was less than a year old. I found out each match I would lose half of my brass. Given the amount I decided to go and shoot, it became very expensive. Now the best part of shooting 9mm is I dont pick up brass anymore even when practicing.

I switched over my steel guns from 9sc to 9x19, just replaced the barrels, used the same comp, etc...Cost me $200 a piece including barrels......Worth it to me since I have a lot of 9x19 brass, and just hated feeling like I had to police up every damn piece of SC brass all the time........

What I had to do.... ;)

DougC

and just hated feeling like I had to police up every damn piece of SC brass all the time

+1

I used to devote *way* too much attention to chasing my brass. Now, on those wonderful days when I actually get to shoot a match, I get to *enjoy* the match, and focus on the shooting and the camaraderie, rather than all those dimes I'm leaving on the ground.

Bruce

Make the change and don't look back. KKM barrel and Bedell Ti comp and I couldn't be happier. My gun was already tuned for 38 SC so the extractor was not an issue. I have already got my money back in the cost of brass which gave me more practice time. HS 6 & 7, 3n37,True Blue are all good powders to work with. Call Bob @ Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville and he can fix you up.

DaG

Ive built quite a few 9mm major type guns, I dont care much for them <_<

biggest reason is Ive had a couple of case seperations with new Winchester

brass and have the scars in my forhead to show it.

As for you guys that use the reason of not picking up brass. I think thats

wrong,nothing should be left on the ground unless your at a lost brass

match..

I recommend the 38 super /sc over a 9mm ,You have more choices with

loads and I feel for pressure reasons its a lot safer for all.

And I can make both run!

I admit having some problems with Aftec extractors and the 9mm at first

I ask questions of other smiths and kept after it till I had the customers

happy.

Im 63 years old and have been building/working on guns since I was a kid

after my military life I took up what Im doing now.

9mm is just not my choice for an open gun.I never recommend them its

the customers choice.

Jim

Sailors :(:wacko: