Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New (to Me) S&w Model 64 - Education Needed

txaggie

Hey guys, this is my first wheel gun and I was hoping you could give me a jump start on some questions that I have. First of all, according to the S&W website, this is a medium frame revolver, does that mean that holsters, speedloaders, and other accessories that fit the K-frame series should work with mine?

This one is an old Texas DPS trooper's gun, so it didn't have the box or manual. Do you have a source for downloading the manual for it?

Thanks.

Hey guys, this is my first wheel gun and I was hoping you could give me a jump start on some questions that I have. First of all, according to the S&W website, this is a medium frame revolver, does that mean that holsters, speedloaders, and other accessories that fit the K-frame series should work with mine?

Thanks.

I would think the speedloader for sure, holster probably.

I have a 65 I could let you have. It's a 5" barrel, but 2" of it is filled with bullets, so that's like a 3". :lol:

TX - You will do fine with all things 'K' frame. (holsters, speedloaders, etc.)

You have a very durable, reliable piece of equipment there.

May the rotating force be with you. :wacko:

Isn't the 64 a stainless version of a Mod 14. Sort of like the 686 is the stainless version of a 586??

64 is the stainless version of the 10 Like the 65 is a stainless version of the 13. Anybody got a 3" 13 they want to sell me???

I thought it was something like that, I had 10, 14 & 19 running around in my head.

I had a friend that was using a 64 for a service match over here with a full rib aristocrat sight and man was it accurate, at the time it didn't really do much for me, but now that I am playing NRA it is much more appreciated as to what he had. I might still have a photo at home somewhere, I will see if I can dig it up and post it on here.

Isn't the 64 a stainless version of a Mod 14. Sort of like the 686 is the stainless version of a 586??

64 is the stainless version of the 10 Like the 65 is a stainless version of the 13. Anybody got a 3" 13 they want to sell me???

RGS,

Can't help you with the 3" 13. I do have a 3" 65 (on my hip-carry gun), and a pair of 3" 66's :P

Dave

This one is an old Texas DPS trooper's gun, so it didn't have the box or manual. Do you have a source for downloading the manual for it?

Thanks.

Howdy,

In answers to your specific questions.

You didn't say, but my guess is that the Tx Dept of Public Safety gun is a 4" heavy barrel, square butt. The S&W 4" HB model 10, then later the 64 HB were very common amongst LE in the 70-80's. I carried both, one at a time of course.

The model 64 is a "K" frame S&W. Any K frame .38/357 speedloaders should work, subject to the grips not being in the way, if aftermarket.

Holster could be subject to barrel length. The 64 is the SS version of the carbon steel blue or nickel model 10, the original M&P. The 10 however was offered in a variety of barrel lengths over the years, from 2-6" including standard barrels and heavy barrel versions. I don't recall seeing 64 in any configuration except 4" heavy, but I could be wrong. Both 10 & 64 are .38spl and fixed sights. Excellent guns, very durable, except not strong enough for "continued use of +p jacketed" bullets. The barrel is subject to cracking at 6'oclock at the throat, where the bottom of the barrel has a flat cut to clear the yoke.

Both the 10 & 64's were the preferred platforms to build PPC guns for years, perhaps may still be. Bianchi shooters used a lot of the 10 & 64 too when they were using lead bullets. After the sport transitioned to 125 gr jacketed bullets at 1,000 fps the K frames would not hold up. Therefore many then switched to either the autos or the " L " frames which are much stronger at that critical barrel throat.

If I could only have one handgun, it would be either a 4" HB Model 10 or 64, or the magnum variation which is 13 or 65. On second thought it would be the 4"HB model 65.

Enjoy it, it is a very good gun.

Martin

Edited by Allgoodhits

8Shooter,

The 64 is the SS version of the blue or nickel 10.

The 14 was the blue (never saw a nickel one) newer version of the K-38 in either 6" or I think a few 8 3/8 barrels.

The 2" & 4" variation of the blue (never saw nickel) "14" was called a 15. The SS version of the 15 was called a 67.

My recall:

M&P became Model 10 in .38 spl Model 13 in .357

M&P Airweight became Model 12 in .38 spl

K-38 became Model 14 in .38spl and Model 17 in .22LR

Combat Masterpiece (blue, maybe nickel) became Model 15 in .38 and Model 18 in .22LR

Combat Magnum .357 blue & nickel became Model 19 .357 mag

The.357 Magnum became the Model 27 (Large "N" frame)

Model 64, SS version of a 10

Model 14, I never saw a SS ??

Model 67, SS version of a 15

Model 65, SS version of a 13

Model 66, SS version of a 19

So there you have K frame series of the era, Models 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18 & 19. I don't recall a Model 11 or a 16. Maybe they were 22 Magnum or something, or maybe not at all. I think currently there may be some 3-digit named guns, but don't recall any that are K frames.

Martin

p.s. See you at BC '07

Edited by Allgoodhits

RGS,

Can't help you with the 3" 13. I do have a 3" 65 (on my hip-carry gun), and a pair of 3" 66's :P

Dave

I hope the dogs hump your leg :o

I have a 2.5" 66 that is my all time favorite but really would like to find a 3" 13 or 65.

Gary

8Shooter,

The 64 is the SS version of the blue or nickel 10.

The 14 was the blue (never saw a nickel one) newer version of the K-38 in either 6" or I think a few 8 3/8 barrels.

The 2" & 4" variation of the blue (never saw nickel) "14" was called a 15. The SS version of the 15 was called a 67.

My recall:

M&P became Model 10 in .38 spl Model 13 in .357

M&P Airweight became Model 12 in .38 spl

K-38 became Model 14 in .38spl and Model 17 in .22LR

Combat Masterpiece (blue, maybe nickel) became Model 15 in .38 and Model 18 in .22LR

Combat Magnum .357 blue & nickel became Model 19 .357 mag

The.357 Magnum became the Model 27 (Large "N" frame)

Model 64, SS version of a 10

Model 14, I never saw a SS ??

Model 67, SS version of a 15

Model 65, SS version of a 13

Model 66, SS version of a 19

So there you have K frame series of the era, Models 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18 & 19. I don't recall a Model 11 or a 16. Maybe they were 22 Magnum or something, or maybe not at all. I think currently there may be some 3-digit named guns, but don't recall any that are K frames.

Martin

p.s. See you at BC '07

Model 16 was chambered in .32 Magnum. Used to be called the K-32 Masterpiece (along with it's brothers the K-22 & K-38). Nice gun, looks like a Model 14 with smaller holes in the barrel and cylinder. Pretty hard to find these days, especially at an affordable price.

Model 16 was chambered in .32 Magnum.
Rob - Actually, it was chambered in .32 S&W Long first, then discontinued, then brought out again with the L frame-style barrel in .32 H&R Mag. The original ones go for four figures in decent shape.

Martin - The Model 11 was just a Model 10 in .38 S&W.

I think currently there may be some 3-digit named guns, but don't recall any that are K frames.
Just one I can think of - M547. 9x19, three (RB) or four (SB) inch barrel, strange extractor that worked without moonclips. HKS even made speedloaders for them.

RGS,

Dave

I have a 2.5" 66 that is my all time favorite but really would like to find a 3" 13 or 65.

Gary

I received a CDNN catalogue yesterday that had 3" 65s for about $330

Howdy,

In answers to your specific questions.

You didn't say, but my guess is that the Tx Dept of Public Safety gun is a 4" heavy barrel, square butt. The S&W 4" HB model 10, then later the 64 HB were very common amongst LE in the 70-80's. I carried both, one at a time of course.

The model 64 is a "K" frame S&W. Any K frame .38/357 speedloaders should work, subject to the grips not being in the way, if aftermarket.

Holster could be subject to barrel length. The 64 is the SS version of the carbon steel blue or nickel model 10, the original M&P. The 10 however was offered in a variety of barrel lengths over the years, from 2-6" including standard barrels and heavy barrel versions. I don't recall seeing 64 in any configuration except 4" heavy, but I could be wrong. Both 10 & 64 are .38spl and fixed sights. Excellent guns, very durable, except not strong enough for "continued use of +p jacketed" bullets. The barrel is subject to cracking at 6'oclock at the throat, where the bottom of the barrel has a flat cut to clear the yoke.

Both the 10 & 64's were the preferred platforms to build PPC guns for years, perhaps may still be. Bianchi shooters used a lot of the 10 & 64 too when they were using lead bullets. After the sport transitioned to 125 gr jacketed bullets at 1,000 fps the K frames would not hold up. Therefore many then switched to either the autos or the " L " frames which are much stronger at that critical barrel throat.

If I could only have one handgun, it would be either a 4" HB Model 10 or 64, or the magnum variation which is 13 or 65. On second thought it would be the 4"HB model 65.

Enjoy it, it is a very good gun.

Martin

Martin,

Wow, a lot of great information there, I was late in responding because I wanted to get home and double check my gun. Yes, it is the 4" heavy barrell. I am going to take it out this weekend and run some rounds through it. I really like the trigger, unbelievably smooth, and not too heavy :)

Thanks.

Deron

I thought it was something like that, I had 10, 14 & 19 running around in my head.

I had a friend that was using a 64 for a service match over here with a full rib aristocrat sight and man was it accurate, at the time it didn't really do much for me, but now that I am playing NRA it is much more appreciated as to what he had. I might still have a photo at home somewhere, I will see if I can dig it up and post it on here.

Found it.... Model 64 eye candy, just because we can.

RGS,

Dave

Gary

I received a CDNN catalogue yesterday that had 3" 65s for about $330

Sold out the first day.

The 3" 65 is the bottom one in the pic. The other two are 3" 66's. The one with the blued cylinder (66-5) is from a run in October 2000.

Dave

K3-1.jpg

Very nice. Just rubbing salt into the wound aren't you. I just might have to get a barrel without the port for my F comp to use in IDPA rather than the 2.5".

Regards,

Gary

Found it.... Model 64 eye candy, just because we can.

Very nice indeed!

The 3" 65 is the bottom one in the pic. The other two are 3" 66's. The one with the blued cylinder (66-5) is from a run in October 2000.

Dave

K3-1.jpg

Very nice. Just rubbing salt into the wound aren't you. I just might have to get a barrel without the port for my F comp to use in IDPA rather than the 2.5".

Regards,

Gary

You are right..I was being a bit "ornery". However, I am paying the price for my behavior. The springs on the garage door broke today. I think it's some sort of karma thing.

Dave