Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? Re Sti In 9 V Super For Steel

NickAument

I am about 99.999% sure I'm getting an STI for Steel, here's my questions any and all input is appreciated:

I plan to use it primarily for steel so that's the priority, if I shot USPS I could always shoot minor as I'm no longer competitive in that forum of shooting, so with that in mind :

between the Trubor and Stinger which model and what cal 9mm or Super? I load Super but like the idea of shooting factory white box. If I have to load I'll stick w Super, will factory 9mm run reliably in either model? I like the compactness of the Stinger but prefer the C More which is not available on the Stinger!

Which model and what cal would you choose and your experiences as to why.

Thanks in advance

Nick

who was going to get a CZ Champion in 9mm but was told today CZ was no longer importing them, and can't take EAA's poor customer Service so Gold Team is OUT also.

Preety much leaves STI for factory production gun.

I shoot 9x19 in both USPSA ( 9 major ) and for steel matches.

I like the feel of a longer gun for balance but to each his own. I'd pick the Trubor over the Stinger. In fact, before I bought a factory gun, I'd look real hard a custom built one. Just slightly more money in the long run and 150% better out of the box.

Don't quote me, but I thought the Stinger was discontinued.

Bill

p.s. I'm a niner fan.

Edited to add:

Did a quick check on STI's website. Per STI -- SkinnErgram #88

"Guns that will be discontinued at the end of the 3 rd . quarter ( Sept. 30, 2006 ) unless their order quantities pick up dramatically before then.

6" Trojan ….. all varieties.

6" Eagle ……. all varieties.

Stinger ……… all varieties."

Maybe sales did pick up.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Stingers are back on

Due to a strong influx of sales during the third quarter, the "Stinger" has survived in strong shape! Due to the same surge in orders, some of the 6" Trojans and Eagles have survived to remain "on the bubble" for another year.

I'd probably go 9 for a dedicated steel gun, but for IPSC use, I still like the Supers.

The Stinger is a sweet steel gun, but I'd not like to shoot Major loads in it much.

Any secrets to getting a Supercomp Open gun to run with minor loads besides re-springing?

No big secrets, less extractor tension mostly.

Load development is easy down to 130 pf, Lower than that calls for some lightening.

Any secrets to getting a Supercomp Open gun to run with minor loads besides re-springing?

My gun was built as a steel gun = light & 1/2" Shorter slide ,& three chamber comp.

The load will have to 'drive' the comp out of lock-up, so if the comp is very heavy the load still has to make the barrel unlock.

I have a STinger for steel and I'm getting a guide rod/reverse plug built to replace the Recoil master.....and the slide will lightened soon

9mm and it never did run well with major load......I have had the slide crack open, scope mount crack, oko dot die and grip crack(22K)....all fix at no cost, so yes they have a very good customer service. I love the feel of the super small gun, but I did have lots of problems with it....now shooting a Bedell custom in 38 SC, soon to receive a Dawson mini stroker in 38SC.....I just want to try various style... :)

Edited by dansy

I would go 9mm in a heartbeat. I have 6 powders at Major without pressure problems, and have 2 more to test that will make it and some more to try. Brass costs are a lot less, and function in a well built gun won't be a problem.