Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Info On The M&p

Az-Al

Hi Guys

I'm Al, I've just moved here from the UK.... I'm planning on buying an S&W M&P, the main reason for this is because I'm a leftie and I like the look and feel of the gun. My question is .... is there anyone out there who is shooting one of these right now ? Comments on the gun ? and also what holster to buy ? Thanks in advance !!

Alan (aka Cecil )

I have to be careful with my post here... I've never actually fired an M&P but the internals and trigger are almost identical to that of a S&W Sigma which I have used extensively and love. The trigger pull on the Sigma is a little long and heavy at first but after about 2k rounds it smooths out a lot. A little dry fire practice and the M&P will feel just like your favorite pair of boots. I have read much about them, handled several and I love the way they feel and what I have heard about them. Also, it's a S&W which speaks volumes (IMO). I don't think you will regret buying one.

One thing to keep in mind, as always, is what you'll use the firearm for. If you'll be using it for competition you may find the long, technically DAO, trigger pull to be a bit annoying. This can be overcome by dryfire practice (I'm living proof) but it is, nonetheless, something to be aware of. I love the ambi safety on the M&P as well as the ambi slide release. If it's a CCW, then the M&P, again IMO, is a wonderful choice. And now available in .45 ACP.

joe

PS-- no, I'm not an S&W rep. :)

After waiting for 9 months after they came out I picked up an MP40 for a good price at a gunshow. The ergos beat my Glock hands down. The trigger was weird at first but with instuctions from Mp-Pistol.com (Dan Berwell) I was able to get it down to 4 1/4 lbs which helped a lot.

I got 3rd place in SSP at my first IDPA match with it. The gun is that good. After cleaning up the QC on my reloads it has run 100%. It was 100% out of box with factory ammo.

It points good, it shoots good, it feels good. I have yet to get my hands on a MP40 Compact but when I do I might pick it up for concealed carry. The full size is a bit large for concealed carry but I have done it.

The design is good, the trigger can be improved with little effort, the parts are availible from Brownells, what is not to like. The factory sights are not the best. I blacked out the rear dots with a Sharpy. There are after market sights availible.

As for holsters see the other posts. I am using it in a Milt Sparks that was built for a HK compact, it kinda fits. I have a Sparks EX Companion on order but it's a long wait.

Suffice to say, I really like my MP40.

edited to add "I am a lefty, too"

Gringop

Edited by gringop

• 2 weeks later...

I have an M&P 9mm versus Glock 17 comparison article upcoming in Gun World in a few months. For a lefty it's hard to make a case against the M&P. This is one of the few truly ambidextrous out-of-the-box handguns on Earth. Even the mag button may be easily switched over to the other side.

is there anyone out there who is shooting one of these right now ? Comments on the gun ?

HMMMMM.

Let me think......

2zi080k.jpg

34dix36.jpg

Ask away buddy, PM me, I shoot the M&P in PD and I use Blade-Tech Holsters and Pouches!!

Blade-Tech makes Leftie stuff too!!.

PM me

Edited by ysued

I have to be careful with my post here... I've never actually fired an M&P but the internals and trigger are almost identical to that of a S&W Sigma which I have used extensively and love.

Just my .02 but the trigger internals and triggers are very, very different on these. The M&P is a much better effort and I think the triggers can be "slicked" up pretty nice.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a leftie, and I have shot the M&P.....and it is a GREAT gun.

I currently shoot a G35, but I have every intent to buy an M&P, not just keep borrowing one, as soon as funds allow. I like Comp-tac holsters and mag pouches.

-Mike