Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Got A Washer Shaving On My Bullet/after Shot

shooterbenedetto

I shoot 9mm open load is n350 7.3 aol is 1.164 zero jhp cripm is .373

gun would shoot about 4 to 5 rounds and then slide would stay open and when i eject my round, I noticed that there is a shaving of bullet and it looks like a washer? of course the slide woulndt close completely. any help would be appreciatled.

Crimp is way tight, measure the wall thickness of the case, multiply that times two, add the bullet diameter and you have the dimension that your crimp SHOULD be.

Are you seating and crimping in one step? If so, with a crimp that tight the crimp will be digging into the bullet before the seating is done, that can scrape the bullet enough to make a ring looking piece of copper.

Would it be possible to post a picture of the piece that is locking up your gun?

you need to measure just one wall of your brass. It should be something close to 0.010 inches. Make sure that you aren't measuring any flare from your powder die. you will have two wall thicknesses, along with your bullet, that make up your diameter. So, double the wall measurement and add in the bullet measurement.

***If*** you have a 0.356 bullet and a wall of 0.010, the you are looking at going off of 0.376 (.356 + .010 + .010 = .376)

The 0.385 you measured with powder...that sounds like you measured a flared case. (more on that in a minute)

Measure everything again and let us know what you come up with.

Now...those brass shavings...are they half-mooned shaped or full circles ? And, are you seating and crimping in the same station ?

Pictures man, show us what it looks like. If you don't have pictures try to give some rough dimensions of the washer thing you have, thickness, width, and ID/OD.

Yes, if you are using brass that is 12 thou thick and a .356" bullet you need to be somewhere around .380" for the case mouth after crimp. Your math is good, double check the components and then make it so.

Are you seating and crimping in one die or two?

Excessive pressure will do that.

The base of the bullet will mushroom a bit on ignition. If the pressure is excessive, the base will flatten out too much and a ring of brass will be shaved off. The following round will then fit through the ring and will not fully chamber because of the additional length of the ring.