Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal Steel Shapes

rhgunguy

I am in the process of designing a stage and thought it would be fun to have plates that spell out IPSC made in 10" high, 3" wide steel for one of my side matches. Is this legal? Or does is fall under a cruel and unusual statute in the rules?

Thanks!

Are there actually any "rules" for a side match? or Shooting challenge?

I've seen a few and heard of many strange side match shooting challenges.

Everything from a simple plate rack to a 3-man team sawing a landscaping timer in half.

The latter was of course done team-on-team and side-by-side.

I'd love to hear other "different" shooting challenges that have been used at side matches.

I am in the process of designing a stage and thought it would be fun to have plates that spell out IPSC made in 10" high, 3" wide steel for one of my side matches. Is this legal? Or does is fall under a cruel and unusual statute in the rules?

Thanks!

Shouldn't that be USPSA? <_<

Are there actually any "rules" for a side match? or Shooting challenge?

A side match should be a side match. It needs to be clearly defined. For instance, if somebody drops their gun during the draw on the "fun" match...are they DQ'ed from the main venue?

If it is truly a side thing, then you could shoot a pumpkins or whatever. There just ought to be some clear separation.

• 1 month later...

They had a side match at the one Nationals I went to, separate bay, all USPSA safety rules applied, however I don't believe they would have DQ'ed you from the rest of the match if something went wrong, although since nobody did bozo that challenge I couldn't really say. Flex has a good point though, would have to be spelled out specifically. Other than that, I'd say go for it.

It might be a bit weird to spell out "IPSC" and have a non-IPSC match? (then again, it's probably USPSA rules...if we wanted to get picky).

To make it work, you could put the plate rack in front of some shoot targets and paint/define them as hard cover.