Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Front Sight Question

paulie686

I have recently purchased a new Glock 34 for Steel shooting and the local indoor GSSF League. Being RETIRED and on a fixed income, I plan to IMPROVE my Glock slowly, and kind-of "Do It Yourself", as funds are available. I can tolerate the factory rear sight, but find the factory front sight to be too WIDE for my taste/old eyes. Does anyone know of a replacement front sight that is the correct height to work with the FACTORY rear sight and is NARROWER than the factory front? Thanks in advance, Paulie686

I have recently purchased a new Glock 34 for Steel shooting and the local indoor GSSF League. Being RETIRED and on a fixed income, I plan to IMPROVE my Glock slowly, and kind-of "Do It Yourself", as funds are available. I can tolerate the factory rear sight, but find the factory front sight to be too WIDE for my taste/old eyes. Does anyone know of a replacement front sight that is the correct height to work with the FACTORY rear sight and is NARROWER than the factory front? Thanks in advance, Paulie686

Paulie, if you are willing to shell out the funds for a front sight, you might as well kick in a few more bucks and get a good rear too. Good Glock sights can be had relatively inexpensively.

Here you go. The Ameriglo sights are IMO the best value in sights. Don't get hung up on the high dollar sight sets. These are just as good for much less money. You might like a fiber optic front also. Ameriglo has one of the best FO fronts. BTW the front height is .165".

http://www.ameriglo.net/weapon_site/catalog/2007.pdf

Edited by Joe D

Here's what I did for sights on my G23, G17 & G26:

Put on a plain black MMC rear made for the Glock and a Dawson Precision Fiber Optical front made for the Glock/Novak rear. The front sight is .160 high and .123 wide. I opened up the MMC rear a little with a Dremel.

Looks like a small combat rear sight and it's adjustable. The front sight is very low and will fit any holster.

The cheapest way is to take out the front sight and file them down so they are thinner. I would also turn them around so you don't have the white dot.

Other than that, I recommend the Dawson FO front sight (0.010 width) with the Dawson non-FO rear sight. See if other people have each of the mentioned sights and try them out. What others prefer may not be what you like.

Thanks, everybody, for the thoughtful replies! I've got several ideas to work with now. Joe D, do you order the Ameriglo sights directly from the Manufacturer, or is there a dealer you prefer to buy from? Reason I ask is that it appears many of the "Internet" dealers carry the Ameriglo NIGHT SIGHTS, but NOT their "Plain" or "Target" sights. Thanks, Paulie686

You can order directly from Ameriglo. I have replaced all of my sights on my competition Glocks with the Ameriglo rear. I am a little different than some shooters in that I don't like the thin front sights. I use the large dot HiViz molded front with the Ameriglo rear.

I like the looks of the thin Ameriglo front FO. It's just not for me.

The cheapest way is to take out the front sight and file them down so they are thinner.

The problem with that approach is that, in my experience, once you remove the front sight it'll never fit back in as securely again. And it's none too secure to start with.

Be very careful taking the pin out then slowly take the sight out squeezing the post. You can also use locktite to keep it tight. You can also use a toothpick with a thicker diameter than the original pin.

I put a Hi Viz fiber optic front sight from Brownells on my 34. The Glock stock rear is is .142 wide and works well with this front. . I put the Glock rear back on after my after market rear started rusting in less than a month. It is a very cheap and workable combo.

Best, Rik