Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Aftec Extractor

GentlemanJim

I just got the AFTEC I ordered from shooters Conn.

I have two new sti trubor open guns in 9mm major.

Both guns (mine inparticular) have had severe ejection probs from the start!

After sorting out several underlying problems my gun has become much more dependable,

But still suffers from fail to eject/smokestack.

Even after much tuning on extractor and ejector, spent brass would just fall free of port.

(this is major load)

I just put the aftec in and now the brass lands three feet away!!!

I hope this is the cure!!!

You may think I did not have proper extractor tention but I tried MANY different adjustments ranging from very high to very low pressure on case.

I have tuned the ejector to pitch the case very flat (about 2 oclock)

Over the years I have built quite a few 1911 pistols, several in 9 major and have never had anywhere near the trouble i have had with this gun!

The fit and detail on the guns is very nice, lockup virtually perfect!

I can find NO logical reason for problems!!!

I very much hope this is the FIX.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Jim

Jim, the tru-bore's slide has no weight removed & if you are useing a 10 or 11# spring it is just to much mass to move. Try a lighter spring or lighten the slide.

+1

It's not just a 9 major problem. My first 2011 was a hybrid and I had to adjust the slide weight until it would run reliably with a #10 spring. When I tried out the Recoil Master, I had to go back and remove another oz from behind the breechface. IIRC the slide is just under 10oz now.

Kenny

i also have a 9 maj. trubor, got it new in aug. last year. i have had the same problems as gentleman jim plus lots more.

i`ve had not only stove pipes up,but out the side, the spent brass has turned around 180 degrees & stuck in the slide, brass always hits the dot bracket as well as the bottom of the dot itself.

constantly jamming, i`ve even had the complete cartridge turn around 180 degrees after the brass was ejected, { when it did eject } . you could not shoot a full mag without some kind of jam. i could go on & on with the problems, & yes i tried different wght. recoil springs

from 7# on up made no difference, tried different bullets & seating dephts no difference.

sti sent me tuned ejector & xtractor made no difference.

so, sti wanted it back, sent it back on 1/8/07 it`s still there & not fixed yet.

you know you pay that much money for a gun, wouldn`t think it sould run..

still no word on when i`ll get it back

This is one of the reasons I would only purchase a stock pistol from one of the smiths that offer performance and/or reliability upgrades/options. I think both Brazos and Dawson's packages start at $150.

Range time is too precious to waste on a gun that's not 100%.

Good luck to both of you guys.

Please dont get me wrong here..I am NOT bad mouthing STI.

StI builds a nice product and from what I see Is very willing to support thier products!

In my experiance with 9major shows it to be a pretty finicky set up, things that may go un noticed in other calibers can cause real trouble in 9 major guns.

With dot sights, ejection angles become critical and somewhat unpredictable.

Some of this seems to be due to different brass.

I use mixed brass and I believe my gun should be able to shoot what ever I feed it within reason.

I have experianced all the problems described in the last post, most of whitch can be attributable to slow or short slide cycles.

The one thing that made the greatest improvement in my gun was the fact that the disconnector was draging on the slide, if you would pull and hold the trigger, the slide would actually lock open until you released the trigger!

I stoned about .008 of of it and this relieved the problem.

I also pollished the bottom of the slide (where the disconnector rides) and stoned the bottom of the breach face to a nice radius (it was at a sharp angle)

As to the ejection problems I still have, I am in high hopes the aftec will help, I have not been able to fully test it only time will tell.

Removeing weight from the slide may also be part of the cure.

I am going to reduce the mainspring and try a 10# recoil spring next, as well as i can measure the spring that came with it its about 11#closed action, 16# open

ANY info from people on the forum will be greatly appreciated.

I wont send my gun back to STI (absolutly NO bad feelings for them) I just feel I should be able to solve ANY problem I encounter myself!

After much thaught and hopefully guidance from the PROS on the forum, I may through my slide up on my mill and make some cuts(I hate to ruin the blueing)

Jim

Please dont get me wrong here..I am NOT bad mouthing STI.

StI builds a nice product and from what I see Is very willing to support thier products!

In my experiance with 9major shows it to be a pretty finicky set up, things that may go un noticed in other calibers can cause real trouble in 9 major guns.

With dot sights, ejection angles become critical and somewhat unpredictable.

Some of this seems to be due to different brass.

I use mixed brass and I believe my gun should be able to shoot what ever I feed it within reason.

I have experianced all the problems described in the last post, most of whitch can be attributable to slow or short slide cycles.

The one thing that made the greatest improvement in my gun was the fact that the disconnector was draging on the slide, if you would pull and hold the trigger, the slide would actually lock open until you released the trigger!

I stoned about .008 of of it and this relieved the problem.

I also pollished the bottom of the slide (where the disconnector rides) and stoned the bottom of the breach face to a nice radius (it was at a sharp angle)

As to the ejection problems I still have, I am in high hopes the aftec will help, I have not been able to fully test it only time will tell.

Removeing weight from the slide may also be part of the cure.

I am going to reduce the mainspring and try a 10# recoil spring next, as well as i can measure the spring that came with it its about 11#closed action, 16# open

ANY info from people on the forum will be greatly appreciated.

I wont send my gun back to STI (absolutly NO bad feelings for them) I just feel I should be able to solve ANY problem I encounter myself!

After much thaught and hopefully guidance from the PROS on the forum, I may through my slide up on my mill and make some cuts(I hate to ruin the blueing)

Jim

i have several sti limited & steel guns in 9 & 40, no major problems with them

yes, they have good guns & i will continue to buy them.

gentleman jim, , when i get mine back i`ll let you know what was done to it, maybe it wiil help

Help me understand why this is such a problem ... is it because the comp adds so much additional mass that it's outside the envelope of what a major caliber can propel? ... just not enough velocity hitting the ejector?

Jim, the tru-bore's slide has no weight removed & if you are useing a 10 or 11# spring it is just to much mass to move. Try a lighter spring or lighten the slide.

Help me understand why this is such a problem ... is it because the comp adds so much additional mass that it's outside the envelope of what a major caliber can propel? ... just not enough velocity hitting the ejector?

I believe Benny is referring to the mass of the slide only, not the bbl/comp.

A bull barrel with a steel comp is a LOT heavier than just a plain barrel. Moving that mass to unlock takes a lot energy from the slide. Lightening the slide helps a lot to keep the slide velocity high enough to function the gun, light springs also help.

I just finished a 9 major build and didn't find it finicky at all other than OAL and magazine issues.