Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

W 231

If you were going to use W 231 with a precision bullet which would you use, the 230 or 200gr.? I want to make a 165,000 PF. I may not have time or access to a chrono before match time so any help would be appritiated. I have some MB 200's loaded up with 5.1 gr that I have not been able to chrono yet. I use a 5" 1911.

Thank you

If you were going to use W 231 with a precision bullet which would you use, the 230 or 200gr.? I want to make a 165,000 PF. I may not have time or access to a chrono before match time so any help would be appritiated. I have some MB 200's loaded up with 5.1 gr that I have not been able to chrono yet. I use a 5" 1911.

Thank you

IMO, it is better suited for the 200 gr bullets, but that is just my opinion. I used to load 5.6 or 5.7 under a 200 gr H&G #68 to make 175k...

Hope this helps..

My standard load with 231 was 5.5 grains, and a 200 lead SWC. This would net pf of 171-175 out of my Kimber 5". OAL 1.255 Worked fine, but smokey. Shooting classifiers in still air would result in seeing through a cloud of smoke. Also I would have to clean the breechface after about 150 rounds, or risk malfs due to residue.

My improved load for .45 is a Precision coated 200 SWC, 1.255 oal, and 4.4 grains of Clays. Same pf, noticeably less smoke, and cleaner.

Conventional wisdom is to use the fastest power that is safe to minimize "jetting" after the bullet leaves the barrel. Many prefer 230 grain bullets for a slower recoil pulse.

When I started shooting .40 in limited using 170 & 180 grain bullets, I liked the snappier recoil pulse (as compared to .45). I'm thinking that sticking to the lighter 200 bullet in .45 should be closer to emulating that. We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...