Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Round Count Holes?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I have some 126mm STI mags I use for IDPA and want to drill a sight hole so I can tell when there is 10 rounds in the magazine. Does anyone know the distance up and over to drill the hole and what side to drill it on? I think a 1/8 hole should be big enough. If I can't find the distance does anyone have a old non usable mag I can cut apart to find out where to drill the hole? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Eric

Hello: I have seen the Arredondo spacers but they are made for 140mm magazines. The 140mm mags are not legal for IDPA. I know the Mr. Grams drills his magazines for the different round counts. I just thought someone could measure there mags and give me the dimension so I can drill them myself. Thanks Eric

Remove the basepad, spring and follower, invert mag and feed it 10 rounds.

While inverted insert some type of object to determine the internal depth of the 10 rounds (paper, pencil whatever) and scribe a line.

Remove the rounds before drilling, and use the "marker" you made as a gage for drilling.

Presto, witness hole

While inverted insert some type of object to determine the internal depth of the 10 rounds (paper, pencil whatever) and scribe a line.

Remove the rounds before drilling, and use the "marker" you made as a gage for drilling.

Presto, witness hole

As the Guiness Guys would say..."GENIUS!" :D

Hello: That is the way I did it but wanted to make sure before I drill the hole that the dimiensions are close. I got 2.225" up from the bottom of a 126mm mag and 0.250 over from the side. I think I will just go ahead and drill it and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Thanks Eric

Hello: I know the dimensions now. If any one wants to know send $5 to ;-). Well it only took 3 holes to get it right. I will weld up the 2 bad ones and use the 3rd. The dimensions are 2 inches from the bottom and 0.310 from the side. This is for the 126mm STI mags for 40 S&W. I drilled the holes 3/16 diameter so I could see the primer. Hope this helps everyone and send the money to ;-). Thanks Eric

Presto, witness hole

"BRILLIANT!"

Presto, witness hole

"BRILLIANT!"

Yeah, that's what I meant to say!!!

Aircoolded6racer...now you need to practice on a 140mm mag please, I dont have the ability to weld like you or I'd do it...please? :D

Benny; How is the foot? These mags are for the other game so I don't have to count. I just have to look in the hole and see that there are 10 in there ;-). I need to come out and talk to you sometime this week and bother Merlin. Talk to you soon. Thanks Eric