Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Have Read And Read, But..........

OK, here's the deal. I bought a S&W M&P 9mm the first week of January 07. I have shot approx. 1000 through it so far. I also have a Glock 22. I took both guns out today. I shot just over 200 rounds through the Glock and about 100 through the M&P.

I really don't have a need for the Glock anymore. So I'll probably sell it. This leaves me loading just one caliber, 9mm. (for now)

What would be the best press for my needs, 550B or a SDB? I have other pistols (380,32H&R,38,357,41,44,45lc) and a M4 .223. If I decided to load other pistol calibers, which press is easier to do a caliber change? I already have a Hornady single stage press for rifle reloading.

Mostly I will be shooting lots of 9mm. I have the M&P, Kahr P9, Beretta Storm(9mm) and a 13 year old son. :)

Hello: If you are going to reload Only 9mm then the SDB. If your are going to load 9mm and one other I would say still the SDB. Now if you are going to load 3 or more pistol calibers then the 550. The 550 will be good for rifle calibers as well. Know the hard part is buying one. P.S. Don't try a 1050. Thanks Eric

I wouldn't load at all if all you're going to do is 9mm; the cost savings over factory white box or blazer is minimal. Better to just buy in bulk and save picking up the brass and hunting for deals on components.

When you're going to shoot a caliber that costs more than 6 bucks a box, then buy a 550. The versatility of being able to load most any cartridge, rifle or pistol, plus use any kind of standard die is easily worth the difference in cost between the two machines.

The cost of equipment breaks down exactly as Aircooled6racer says. One or two calibers, neither magnums, neither rifle calibers, buy two SDBs, and be happy. Three or more, the cost swings to the 550. Despite the assurances of caliber changes on the SDB, do not think of it as a "quick change" press. Rather, think of it as a press that can be rebuilt to another caliber.

Now, the whole idea of not reloading 9mm due to cost is a crap shoot. What if the cheap ammo shoot like s**t in your gun? And the only ammo that makes Minor, or shoots accurately, is the expensive stuff? So much for "cheap ammo not worth reloading." I view the low cost of 9mm ammo as a backup:

If I find myself someplace without my match ammo, I can buy it at the local big box store.

If I haven't been able to load for a while, ditto.

If I need more brass (yea, like that ever happens around here) the cheap practice ammo makes more empties.

OK, here's the deal. I bought a S&W M&P 9mm the first week of January 07. I have shot approx. 1000 through it so far. I also have a Glock 22. I took both guns out today. I shot just over 200 rounds through the Glock and about 100 through the M&P.

I really don't have a need for the Glock anymore. So I'll probably sell it. This leaves me loading just one caliber, 9mm. (for now)

What would be the best press for my needs, 550B or a SDB? I have other pistols (380,32H&R,38,357,41,44,45lc) and a M4 .223. If I decided to load other pistol calibers, which press is easier to do a caliber change? I already have a Hornady single stage press for rifle reloading. Mostly I will be shooting lots of 9mm. I have the M&P, Kahr P9, Beretta Storm(9mm) and a 13 year old son. :)

I'd go for, wait, I did go for, the 550B. If you only want to reload 9mm, I'd take a good look at available deals on factory ammunition and consider how well it suits my needs and whether I would ever load enough to offset the price of any reloading equipment. Depending on your use, you may find you need to reload 9mm, no matter what the cost, to get what you want/need. If you'll really never want to reload anything but 9mm, then the SDB is probably the press for you.

Once you start reloading, though, it's not likely you'll limit yourself to a single caliber. I've never loaded .380 or .32 and probably never will. I do, however, reload for all my other center fire pistols, .38, .357, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, 9mm, 10mm, .40, and .45. The more calibers you reload, the more you reload for, the more sense the 550B makes. My guess is, you'll be reloading for everything you own in the near future. You might as well start out with what you'll want to use for that purpose.

Lee

IMHO the 550 is the way to go!

Reloading can become an addiction,before you know it you may need many different calibers.

The cost savings on the small press is marginal

The 550 will load most anything you will need, and change over very quickly!!

I use the 1050 for 9mm major (we shoot lots of it) and a 550 for rifle and all other pistol cals we need.

You cant go wrong with the 550! ours is almost 20 years old and still going strong.

Jim

I ordered a 550B in 9mm. I am going to add to the 550 as I need. I also shoot a .380, 40S&W, 32 H&R mag, .38 spec, .357mag, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45lc, 480 rug. 25-06, 7mm-08, .300 win mag, 19 Calhoon and a M4 .223. I'm sure I won't load all of these calibers on the Dillon (I still have a Hornady Single stage press), but I'm sure I will eventually load for the 223, 38, 357, 44........oh crap.....who am I kidding. They'll all probably get loaded on the Dillon. I used to load all of them on a Hornady progressive. I just couldn't afford to spend that much at one time.

As for saving money........I bought 5000 primers for $82.50, 4 pounds of W231 for $54.00, and 4000 124gr FMJ 9mm bullets for $199.90. Brass is $8.95 per 1000. I have a friend with a FFL. The company he buys from delivers to him for a flat fee($10 or $15). He just added my stuff to his order, so there wasn't any shipping.

That makes my reloads cost $4.25/50 or $85.04/1000 for the 9mm.

Edited by morebullets