Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Loaded Up 1000 Rnds Of .223 Today

DrawandDuck

Is it just me?? I got to loading up some .223 today and couldn't stop. I actually found it quiet "calming"! I guess it was that little wait while 25 grains of powder falls into the case. When loading up .38super I feel like I am in a race to ALWAYS keep the case feeder running but with the .223 there is a little wait at the bottom. Call me crazy but the only reason I stopped was I ran out of prepped brass. I am NOT a patient person by nature, so this was quite surprising to me. :)

Randal

I drop about that much per throw on my XL650. It's not a long wait, but good reloading says to be patient vs. runnin' and gunnin' say on my 1050 in 38S or 40. I too love loading .223. Don't really know why. Something maybe about emptying a full powder measure that fast is just hilarious (to me).

Glad you had fun.

Rich

I would be interested in what machine you loaded on also.

I am planning on picking up an AR and getting set up for loading .223. I have a 650 set up for .40 for my limited gun. I would like to buy a super 1050 and am not sure if I should load both calibers on the 1050 and sell the 650, or keep the 650 and have a dedicated machine for each caliber. If I do that what machine should be used for the .40 and which for the .223?

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

What press and how long did it take???? :huh:

I load on a 650. I filled my 10 primer tubes, loaded up the case feeder, filled my bullet bin all before I got started. I really wasn't keeping an eye on the time but I would say it took about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. I was NOT in a big hurry either, had to break for a little snack too. :P Then I loaded up 800 rnds of .38 super too. Loaded them under an hour. Good use of a non-shooting Saturday. The IPSC match is tomorrow with a 3 stage rifle side match. Hopefully it will warm up a bit.

Randal

I have been toying with the idea of loading .223 for some time now... It's time to do something as I have now collected around 50 gallons of brass. I am now at the place to where ...do I buy dies for one of the RL 1050s or get a Super 1050 to do all of this with...? :(:huh::)

I drop about that much per throw on my XL650. It's not a long wait, but good reloading says to be patient vs. runnin' and gunnin' say on my 1050 in 38S or 40. I too love loading .223. Don't really know why. Something maybe about emptying a full powder measure that fast is just hilarious (to me).

Glad you had fun.

Rich

Rich, you are RIGHT about empting that powder measure!!! I use Reloader 15 and I Know I filled the measure up 3 or 4 times...4 I believe. I have been loading on my 650 for 1 1/2 years and LOVE it. Have the quick change tool heads so changing out from .223, .38 Super or .40 only takes about 3 minutes, if NOT quicker!! If you wanted to push it, you could load 900-1000 rnds per hour of .223 on the 650. .38 super I get about 22 rounds a minute. Just a QUIET afternoon in the basement thinking about NOTHING!!! VERY NICE!!!

Edited by DrawandDuck

I would be interested in what machine you loaded on also.

I am planning on picking up an AR and getting set up for loading .223. I have a 650 set up for .40 for my limited gun. I would like to buy a super 1050 and am not sure if I should load both calibers on the 1050 and sell the 650, or keep the 650 and have a dedicated machine for each caliber. If I do that what machine should be used for the .40 and which for the .223?

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

Before I got the second 1050 for just loading 40 on I reloaded 40 and 223 on my 650. It's a super easy switch since you don't have to change the primer system (not like that's a big deal either).

Bottom line, the best setup is to have a caliber conversion and seperate toolhead AND powder measure. Pop two pins and upstairs is done. Swap the shellplate, station pins, index cam, and the case feed parts and you're good to hook!

Merlin, in your case, I'd go for just a seperate 1050. You in the same boat that I am (I've got about 10k of once fired LC brass that's all been trimmed, deprimed, resized and primer pocket crimp removed. I have the 650 and there's nothing wrong with it as it's versatile enough for me to also load 9mm and 45 on it. I have the dedicated 1050 for 40 but might be doin' some switch-a-roo. Use the second 1050 for .223 and go back to loading 40 on the 650. Just makes a little more sense given the volume. The primary 1050 is still dedicated to 38 Super.

I had thought about switching to 38SC and then just doing the toolhead swap on the 1050, but frankly the beast runs perfect and don't want to take it apart any more than it needs to.

Drawandduck,

I remember a huge reloading session before the '04 SMM3G. I had verified all my load data and was loading like 2k of practice rounds. I ran out of powder, ran to the store, got some more and emptied that 8#. Just crazy how much faster rifle loads eat powder after having loaded so many pistol rounds.

Rich

It really is the best way for a press like the 650. I have 4 complete toolheads/stands/quick changes for the 650 (9mm, 40-Glock, 45 and 223). It just is nice to have, makes changes easier, faster and more efficient and looks cool too.

Rich

Is it just me?? I got to loading up some .223 today and couldn't stop. I actually found it quiet "calming"! I guess it was that little wait while 25 grains of powder falls into the case. When loading up .38super I feel like I am in a race to ALWAYS keep the case feeder running but with the .223 there is a little wait at the bottom. Call me crazy but the only reason I stopped was I ran out of prepped brass. I am NOT a patient person by nature, so this was quite surprising to me. :)

Randal

:D

That's cool. I'd often loose myself in the reloading. It's like the more sensitive you get to all the little stuff that's happening, the cooler it gets.

be

Think you go through powder quick in .223???

Try dumping 52 grains into the case every time !!!! You can really watch the powder level go down quick. ;)

Oh yeah, .308 rules for 3gun if you ask me. :wub:

Hopalong

Man that's INSANE!! Pull handle down, go get a snack, drink, walk the dog, come back pull handle up :wacko: I could see the powder manuf. lobbying to make the min cal. 308 to increase profits :lol: I'm thinking .308 could lead to toooooo MUCH peace in my life, think I'll stick to the .223!!

Randal

Did the same the other day , only difference was that I used a Rockchucker and a Lee perfect powder measure :wacko:

I once loaded 4,000 .223 rds on a Lee Challenger press with the powder dippers.Not long after that one of the arms on the press broke.I bought a Rockchucker and have not looked back.I don't shoot rifle enough to justify buying a progressive press.