Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 Shot 38 Super

Bubber

A while back there was some discussion on the 6 shot 38 super in the L frame Smith. I believe hndgn said he had planned to cut his 586 to accept the 38 super. I am wonder how it turned out and am in the process of trying to find a 38 super six shot for IPSC. I have the 8 shot super for ICORE and want to load only one caliber. So the question is " did the 38 super conversion work for hndgn and ahow are the other 6 shot 38 supers doing? thnx

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bubber,

I have one of the Performance Center 686x6 .38 Supers. I like it a lot. I shot major out of it last year. Probably put 3000 rounds through it. The gun did fine. The shooter didn't always. :lol:

I originally got it to shoot minor in IDPA. After the rule changes I found a major load and shot it in both IDPA and USPSA. My gun is holding up fine but I don't consider it a high round count gun yet. Probably less than 10,000 rounds total. It'll be in the safe this year as I shoot model 10s with cut down Comp IIIs. B)

Hdgun is working a bunch of hours these days so I'll add a little info for ya till

he chime's in.

Saw him last night and he was shooting his 6 inch 686 38 Super, he says it works

"the cats a$$". I believe he's shooting a 158 Berry's loaded to major.

I'll let John get back to you with the details but suffice to say he's very happy with it and

plans on shooting it all this year, even the Nationals.

He must like it pretty well since he's commented on maybe selling off one of his 610's since

he doesn't "need" them anymore :huh:

I was a little concerned about the way his moonclips felt with the new brass he was using

but he did mention the clips were new and he hadn't gone over them yet.

This conversion begs for a .040-.045 thick clip IMO (is Dave H sill out there ;) )

So the conversion worked for him, if he doesn't post by the weekend with info I'll get some

more for you over this weekend maybe.

Thanx Bill and Dave for the info. I will look for a cylinder to change over if possible as it almost impossible to find a ready made revo anymore in 38 super. I would be shooting minor about 130 in both ICORE and USPSA. I have a 625 for USPSA now but am not impressed by the way I shoot it. So it has to be the gun :wacko: . I am just getting lazy and want to load only one caliber if possible and I love my 38 super 8 shot, but still not impressed by the way I shoot it. :angry: Again thanx for the info. The search begins.. :ph34r:

Bubber,

I have one of the Performance Center 686x6 .38 Supers. I like it a lot. I shot major out of it last year. Probably put 3000 rounds through it. The gun did fine. The shooter didn't always. :lol:

I originally got it to shoot minor in IDPA. After the rule changes I found a major load and shot it in both IDPA and USPSA. My gun is holding up fine but I don't consider it a high round count gun yet. Probably less than 10,000 rounds total. It'll be in the safe this year as I shoot model 10s with cut down Comp IIIs. B)

What was your load for major PF? I've got the Square Deal already to go and I need to find a load that will work in my Performance Center 686 38 super for IDPA at major power factor.

A while back there was some discussion on the 6 shot 38 super in the L frame Smith. I believe hndgn said he had planned to cut his 586 to accept the 38 super. I am wonder how it turned out and am in the process of trying to find a 38 super six shot for IPSC. I have the 8 shot super for ICORE and want to load only one caliber. So the question is " did the 38 super conversion work for hndgn and ahow are the other 6 shot 38 supers doing? thnx

I have been doing a lot of work on this project. The 686 I started with is a 5" custom built by TK a while back. It is chambered in 9x23, it will shoot every thing from 9x19 all the way through to 357 mag ( not that I would ). Now with that said, being chambered in 9x23 makes it a tapered chamber. So I stared with 9x19 and 9x21 and worked from there,they work real well for low PF loads, As soon as I started getting closer to major is when I ran into sticking cases. ( Extremely hard to extract ) No matter what bullet, powder combo I used.

Out of a little desperation I played with the 38 super. I since have found this to be far the best way to go. The only draw back is, is bulged cases. Because of the 9x23 chamber. I have been loading the same brass over again just to see how far I can push it. So far 5 loadings will kill the case.

This project is working out pretty well, so well I re-chambered a 6" 686. I have been using it in our local matches and in practice matches.

The reason I am playing with the L frame is, It does feel better in my small hand than a N frame.

I am using 158 Berry RN with 7.1 of Blue Dot COAL 1.1275" This gives me 170 PF from the 6" and 167 from the 5"

I tried Unique but found it to be a little more snappy. My next powder to try is Power Pistol, but my work schedule is getting in the way of play time.

I hope this has answered any questions, if not too bad!!!! Only Kidding. :P:P

Bubber,

I think I can help on your .38 Super 6-shot revolver question. :) I had the same idea a couple years ago. I had Rick McDowell of Competition Specialties in Osceola, IA do the work on a stock 686 4" I bought at a gunshow for $250. He reamed the chambers to .38 Super and milled the cylinder to take moonclips. I don't use it for competion but I can promise you it shoots 125 gr. .357 JHPs at least as hot as .357 magnums.

Call Rick......he has the reamers and the measurements all ready to go :D

Bob.

PS I'm one of those "little old ladies" from the S&W Forum carmoney frequently refers to. :rolleyes:

I hope Jerry and Nils decide to shoot .38 Super revolvers with major loads at Nationals this year too!! ;)

This from the guy that claims to use 180+ PF 45 loads ! :D:P:rolleyes:

You don't doubt that claim, do you Dave?? ;)

(It's not really by choice....in order to make 173 p.f. out of Sam's 25-2, my loads need 4.2 grains of Clays, which will chrono around 180 p.f. from my 625. To me, it's not worth dinking around with two different loads.)

I hope Jerry and Nils decide to shoot .38 Super revolvers with major loads at Nationals this year too!! ;)

This from the guy that claims to use 180+ PF 45 loads ! :D:P:rolleyes:

You don't doubt that claim, do you Dave?? ;)

(It's not really by choice....in order to make 173 p.f. out of Sam's 25-2, my loads need 4.2 grains of Clays, which will chrono around 180 p.f. from my 625. To me, it's not worth dinking around with two different loads.)

Oh no, I don't doubt it Mike, is odd though that the 25-2 gives less out of a 6-6.5 inch barrel than

5 inch 625 :huh:

Oh no, I don't doubt it Mike, is odd though that the 25-2 gives less out of a 6-6.5 inch barrel than

Yeah, I guess I figure it's because the old gun is sorta loose and has had lots of rounds down the tube. That or the load peaks out early and the last 1.5" is slowing the bullet down. ;)

Yeah, I guess I figure it's because the old gun is sorta loose and has had lots of rounds down the tube. That or the load peaks out early and the last 1.5" is slowing the bullet down. ;)

About a 1/2 hour after I posted that reply I thought "hey?? wonder what my data shows ?

same load, same case, same everything my 25-2 beats my 625 (1988 model :lol: ) by

about 6-8 PF.

So it sounds like your 25-2 needs to be retired, come on Dad ---- the kid needs a new revo !

He really likes that old gun, Dave. He says its "cooler" than everybody else's 625. Sam would also like to shoot the autoloaders more this year. After winning L-10 at the Eastern Nebraska Sectional last year, the temptations of the dark side are strong within him. :)

He really likes that old gun, Dave. He says its "cooler" than everybody else's 625. Sam would also like to shoot the autoloaders more this year. After winning L-10 at the Eastern Nebraska Sectional last year, the temptations of the dark side are strong within him. :)

Eh! .... he's young, but I think if he's gonna be pissing rounds away with a bottom feeder

mights be time for him to pony up some $$$ for ammo and bullets and BRASS !

(I love getting all my brass back in revo division :P )

Bubber,

I think I can help on your .38 Super 6-shot revolver question. :) I had the same idea a couple years ago. I had Rick McDowell of Competition Specialties in Osceola, IA do the work on a stock 686 4" I bought at a gunshow for $250. He reamed the chambers to .38 Super and milled the cylinder to take moonclips. I don't use it for competion but I can promise you it shoots 125 gr. .357 JHPs at least as hot as .357 magnums.

Bob.

PS I'm one of those "little old ladies" from the S&W Forum carmoney frequently refers to. :rolleyes:

Bob, Thanx. Got my cylinder this morning and Called Rich. As soon as my moonclips get in I'll be sending it off in a 686-5 to him to work some magic.. I shot my 625 this weekend and it is aggrevating my elbow and forearm a lot. Going back to minor. Such a wimp I am :ph34r:

Bubber,

Bob.

Bob, Thanx. Got my cylinder this morning and Called Rich. As soon as my moonclips get in I'll be sending it off in a 686-5 to him to work some magic.. I shot my 625 this weekend and it is aggrevating my elbow and forearm a lot. Going back to minor. Such a wimp I am :ph34r:

You might shoot minor, Bubber, but, you will never be minor. Hope the arm gets better

Tell him to be strong. Chicks dig revolver shooters (that's what I tell my son anyways)

• 1 month later...

Well I am in the process of working up a load for my 38 super 6 shot Revovler. My Loads for my open ported 5 inch barrel shoot slower out of my 6 inch stock revo. I want to load the same for each but I think that Idea is going out the window. Unless the addition of 0.2 of a grain would put me in the minor range for the 6 shot. I like my ICORE loads at the 130 PF as they shoot flat and are good at 50+ yards, (Dern Standards). Bill? Bob? any advice? And all this cause I wanted to load only one round for IPSC and ICORE. :wacko:

Edited to add

I just ran outside and fired some 9mm White Box from the revo, just because I could. :ph34r:

Edited by Bubber

Well I am in the process of working up a load for my 38 super 6 shot Revovler. My Loads for my open ported 5 inch barrel shoot slower out of my 6 inch stock revo. I want to load the same for each but I think that Idea is going out the window. Unless the addition of 0.2 of a grain would put me in the minor range for the 6 shot. I like my ICORE loads at the 130 PF as they shoot flat and are good at 50+ yards, (Dern Standards). Bill? Bob? any advice? And all this cause I wanted to load only one round for IPSC and ICORE. :wacko:

Edited to add

I just ran outside and fired some 9mm White Box from the revo, just because I could. :ph34r:

Good luck Bubber, hope you can find that "magic" load recipe

Surprised that your open loads are slower in the new gun, would have thought faster :blink:

I fear you will be stuck with 2 different loads, but hey, you'll be using the same brass and primers :D

Since you'll be down to 1 caliber, switch over an old toolhead for your other calibers to the other

38 super bullet load.

Then when you need more bullets of one or the other you just swap out the tool head,

powder measure setting, OAL, crimp.....all stay set :)

OH !! I did get some great results with Zero's 150 .356 FMJ, I think you shoot a 160 lead bullet though.

Well again, good luck and post a pic or 2 !

My 4" 625 also shoots faster than my 25-2. Now that the 25-2 has a new cylinder, I'm looking forward to see if the difference remains.

As for an L-frame Major, Agnes Baumgartner shot one in Ecuador. Didn't seem to bother her too much. I thought for a number of stages that her loads were Minor, until she hammered some steel.