Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Makes A Good Rifle Match?

:angry:

February in Ohio ..... we don't get to do allot shooting. Especially rifle. Oh sure we have indoor shooting ranges / clubs but some of them can be just as cold as the outdoor temps. Lately it's been between ZERO & 10 degrees outside. Brrrrrrrrrr.

So when I heard about a local club holding an indoor multi-gun RIFLE / PISTOL match :wub: needless to say I was more than excited. This club has good heat / ventilation / lighting. And since I just got my AR finished out I drove up there with about 150 rounds, 5 30 rd. mags, the whole works. It was about a 30 minute drive. Match fee was $16. Late start (Noon). Sounds great so far, right ?

Walkthrough explained that it was going to be rifle & pistol, then explained how we would transition from pistol to rifle, and which targets to engage, order of engagement, etc.

Round count ? 12 rounds pistol & 14 rounds rifle. TOTAL. :huh: 1 stage.

I went back up to the registration desk, and asked "How much for re-shoots?" Answer: Full Price :o

So my question to all of you is how many rounds would you consider a normal amount for a local indoor rifle match. What about an outdoor rifle match at a local club?

Chris

We don't shoot 2 or 3 gun indoors in Florida, but I would at least expect to shoot a minimum of 50 rounds with each gun. Or maybe charge you $5.00 to run the stage 5 more times.

That is one of the reasons I quit shooting IDPA down here. Get up and get to the range at 7:30 to set up for a total round count between 60-and 70. Just is not worth the effort.

Dont really know about indoor matches, we just dont do three gun here that way. I like at least 150rds total. Benny Hill, a few others and my self drove 150 miles one sunday for a three gun match, 24 rds pistol, 8 shotgun, 12 rifle. Bummer.--------Larry

I don't know about indoor matches either, but you can't always judge a match's merit by round count alone. Good stages and a higher level of shot difficulty can increase the round count or make up for a shorter than normal round count. (26 total for a match is sort of silly though)

I just came from the middle tn match and the round count was 48 rifle, 48, pistol, and 29 shotgun, with six being slugs. Not 150 minimum, but.... there were small rifle targets at distance, tight rifle and pistol shots in close and steel shotgun targets that required more than #8 and marginal sight (bead) alignment. There was plenty of trigger time to be had. Quite a good match in my opinion, but then it alway is. Damn it was cold though.

Sounds like a function test in the backyard.

Would have been quite upset, and voiced my opinion on why I wouldn't be back. Would expect a minimum of 50 per gun and at least three stages....even if it meant helping set-up stage#2 and stage#3! Shoot all stages with both firearms.

Scott B

Chris, that wasnt even worth your drive was it?

Hmmmmmmmm ................ shot more rounds today than you did ! ;)

Damn Chris, sorry to hear about the round-less match. That being said, I would have gladly thrown your carbine conversion over my shoulder and gone with ;)

Given the "unique" parameters of an indoor range, I'd say the disappointment was the number of stages rather than the round count.

If that's the limit of that club's creativity, how about seein' if folks wanna hang out and practice some other stages/drills, etc.

Rich

Never felt so wronged as when I did after shooting that match. If they had even let us run the same stage twice or switch up starting with rifle and ending with pistol it would have been better but it was a big waste of time and money. <_<

The NRA used to have 3-gun matches in months with 5 Tuedays (ranges action pistol night). Six quick stages (2 rifle, 2 pistol, 2 shotgun) typically 40 to 50 rifle, 20 to 40 pistol, 20 to 30 pistol. Six stages in an hour and a half. Yup, worth the drive. Shooters Paradise has been doing something similar.

Well, we went back tonight for their weekly pistol match, hoping for a match with more that 26 rounds. <_<

They are running a 9 week pistol league, and you need to shoot 6 out of the 9 to be eligible for prizes, but we're already on week #3. So we said we'd like to shoot the match tonight, but not real sure about signing up for the league (which costs another $16).

The manager said, "You MUST sign up for the league ($32 total) or you can just leave and not shoot." :angry: You mean we can't just shoot 1 night? We HAVE to make 6 of the next 7 weeks matches just to get our moneys worth ?? "Yup. That's just the way it is."

I've shot at lots of clubs, indoor ranges included, and I've never heard anything so idiotic.

We ended up just leaving. You have to understand this is a new club, with no creativity, poor stage design, very little props, TIME PLUS scoring, and not just un-friendly workers ....... RUDE workers. I will never be back. Just not worth the price of admission IMO.

Sorry for the rant ........ just had to get it off my chest. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

We usually get to shoot year round outside with maybe a couple of matches called cause of weather, not this year it has been two months of cabin fever. Varmint calling was about the only release.

For a good rifle/multi gun match I like to see at least 5 stages with 15 to 40 rounds per stage. A couple of CQB stages and the rest longer stuff with some unusual shooting positions and some tight shots with swingers and drop turners, self resetting steel for all the long shots. Long paper is fine as long as there is a quick way to score it that doesn't envolve me running down range to tape. For the longer shots I feel they need to give the competitor a challenge but be in the 2 to 3 moa size for the range they are engaged from. I'd be pissed to drive 2 hr. for one stage and pay the fee's discussed here.