Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iraq

outerlimits

i hate reading about car/truck bombs...it's getting old. the press has nothing else to write about. instead of doing stories about spec ops guyz or all the hits our guyz are making thru conventional means, all i see is terrorist acts. gotten to the point i could care less if some puke blows up a hunerd of his own trash.

i hate reading about car/truck bombs...it's getting old. the press has nothing else to write about.

I agree. The liberal press seems to have as a creed, "If it Bleeds, It Leads."

I believe there is more to report on. Sure would like to see it.

JMHO

dj

i hate reading about car/truck bombs...it's getting old. the press has nothing else to write about. instead of doing stories about spec ops guyz or all the hits our guyz are making thru conventional means, all i see is terrorist acts. gotten to the point i could care less if some puke blows up a hunerd of his own trash.

The military has got a lock on any and all stories that come out about the troops from a censorship standpoint. There are few if any really independent news folks out there unlike previous troop deployments. So I'm thinking the news folks are kind of stuck - report what they can find out about or rewrite whatever passes for the five o'clock follies over there.

News wise this whole thing has been stage managed. That doesn't make for good reporting by anyones standards.

The news folk are going to get a bad rap on this one no matter what they do. If they report on the troops the government would say they are endangering them. If they report on actual on the ground activity folks complain about them not reporting on the troops. A lose lose situation.

And yes, if it bleeds it leads, nobody tunes into the news for feel good stories. That's what it takes to sell commercials that sells the soap and toilet paper that keeps the news on the air.

I'm with you...it really is getting old. I worked in the Pentagon for a couple of years and left there in 2005. Once or twice a month they'd bring troops in from Walter Reed and Bethesda for VIP tours. The halls would be lined by hundreds/thousands of people to greet the young heros. It would break my heart to see these kids all banged up and most seemed to have been IED/VBIED victims.

If you check out the Shock and Awe page on Military.com there are a lot of home videos that the troops send back and some of them are pretty cool. In many, the insurgents get just what they deserve. One that sticks in my mind is a crew taking cover behind a Hummer while getting pinged with incoming sniper fire. They call in an air strike...one precision guided bomb and it's no more sniper (or building for that matter).

I disagree about the censorship remark. We had the Atlanta Constitution imbedded with my unit from May 2005 to May 2006 plus I took out other reporters (including Iraq's fledgling media) to see Civil Affairs projects.

However, the majority of media I saw never left the Green Zone - they filed their stories and shot their pictures from the balocnies of their hotel.