Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

http://www.mgmtargets.com/iron_man/index.php

June 7th-9th 2007 Parma, ID

1,100 rounds minimum required. More than 3 times the typical "big match"

Stages take up to 10 minutes to shoot. 5-10 times the actual shooting time at the tpical "big match"

The match is a true test of shooter skill, shooter endurance, and the durability of your equipment.

Trooper Class (http://www.cavalryarms.com/competition/trooper.html)

Thousands of dollars in prizes including $10,000 in Cav Arms Merchandise.

The match is already 2/3 full.

If I could only shoot one match a year, this would be it.

video from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tgnW17RPuw

Edited by SinistralRifleman

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.mgmtargets.com/iron_man/index.php

June 7th-9th 2007 Parma, ID

1,100 rounds minimum required. More than 3 times the typical "big match"

Stages take up to 10 minutes to shoot. 5-10 times the actual shooting time at the tpical "big match"

The match is a true test of shooter skill, shooter endurance, and the durability of your equipment.

+1,000,000

I went last year.. and am hooked. I am looking forward to this year.

5 minutes of straight shooting in a stage, well... that just rocks. :wub:

That guy reloads even slower than me!

ETA: Butch are you going up this year?

There's at least 5 going from here.. we could probably hook you up into a carpool...

one of the matches i gotta do b4 i die, but i don't have a long range rifle and i don't wanna think about shooting my AR out to 600+. come to think of it, i didn't like doing that 36 yrs ago with an m14...

the targets at 500-600 are bonuses...I think people worry about them too much. Just pound 5 rounds out at each with your AR and move on.

I've hit them a couple times in past years with a 20" AR with ACOG and once or twice last year with a 16" with CQT.

This will be ironman number 6 for me. You have to figure out what's not worth wasting time on before you shoot the stage...give it an effort and move on. Waste too much time and you'll end up with a bunch of targets not engaged when you time out.

the targets at 500-600 are bonuses...I think people worry about them too much. Just pound 5 rounds out at each with your AR and move on.

I've hit them a couple times in past years with a 20" AR with ACOG and once or twice last year with a 16" with CQT.

This will be ironman number 6 for me. You have to figure out what's not worth wasting time on before you shoot the stage...give it an effort and move on. Waste too much time and you'll end up with a bunch of targets not engaged when you time out.

now u got me curious. only seen videos, but they ever post the stages anywhere?

I don't think so...the stage descriptions are LONG, I was looking at the ROs clip boards last time and the stage description typically took a full page or more. There is no way you're going to memorize a stage other than the general idea. The ROs are there to help you by yelling at you.

For example skinny sammy poppers at 100 yards from a free swinging platform...the more you shoot the more it moves. The amount of time it takes to successfully engage them is more than it's worth, vs firing 1 round at each and moving on. Climbing the tower to engage the long targets is usually at best a wash time wise. Some of the double spinners are very difficult to spin, or if you do it it takes almost as long as the penalty for not doing so, or the bonus you'd get if it was a bonus. That sort of stuff...

I typically don't like to game things like this, but at the ironman there are a lot of things that are so difficult focussing on them will make you time out.

There was a lot of discussions in last years thread about how much ammo people were giong to bring.

So, what did you all really use?

Coming from Maine, my ammo mailing budget was kinda hefty.

I sent 1,000 rounds of .223 and sent 300 of it home.

I sent 600 rounds of .45 and sold off about 150 at the range.

I sent 450 rounds of #7 shot and left 25 rounds at the range.

I purchased on site 30 rounds of 00 buck and spent time picking up other discared rounds from the ankle deep hulls on stage 1&2. (BRING BUCK!)

:rolleyes:

I didn't focus to much on the "game" aspect of the stages, rather I was caught up in the event of shooting.. Most of the stages I didn't care what my time was AS long as I didn't time out or get DQ'ed for something stupid. This year, I will play the game more.

Forget uspsa round counts, this match is a survival test of your gear (and you).

I seem to recall several stages with 40 rounds of shot, 50 rounds of pistol and maybe 65 rounds of rifle. That is.... if you don't miss. :blink:

My squad was following the Elpers and Burkett squad through the match, and as I recall, there were quite a few shotguns and blasters that just stopped working due to the high round counts, weather and dusty.. dusty sandy conditions.

+1

A lot of guys were ripping off rounds at those distance targets.

However, it was rewarding to clang two at 605 yards with the ACOG + 16" with wolf 55 grain ammo.

B)

Sinistral,

You forgot to mention to these guys that the 605 and 500 yard tagets were uphill shots to boot!

:wub:

"match grade" gear universally dies at this match....in years past people have cried and left because they were "burning up their barrel"

50% of my shot shells will be buck this year, as the only targets you have to use bird on are the clays.

Can I shoot a scoped rifle, but an Open shotgun, and still be 'Tactical Scope'?

my understanding is more than one open gun and yer considered "open". if one could shoot iron sighted rifle, the SG could be open which would really be an advantage.

I was confused one time too before I had it explained to me. They're just using different terminology.

Your one open gun can be a complete open gun, in tactical scope. Most people there are running the same Tactical Scope equipment they would at any IMGA match. Some people will add a bipod to their rifle, but that's about it.

If you're a skilled iron sight shooter, an open shotgun would be more of an advantage in Tactical Scope because the stages are all so high round count.

"match grade" gear universally dies at this match....in years past people have cried and left because they were "burning up their barrel"

ok, I'm a little freaked out about this.. :)

I have a JP 18" upper and a DPMS 16" upper... basically setup the same (1x5 scopes).

Any idea of the rules regarding switching them out? Basically if one has a problem, can I switch to the other without checknig with the MD, or use one for hoser stages, the other, where it takes little more accurate rifle?

If it's like USPSA, no problem, I can just use the JP, and only worry about it if it has a problem, and then do the normal MD check.

Edited by BerKim

Matt Burkett seemed to do ok last year with his match grade gear