Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TGO Wins 4th World Title!

After the shootoffs, Jerry faced Eric G. on 4 steels.

Eric won but it was pretty close jerry did !

I think jerry missed only one steel in the shootoff, am I right patrick ?

This guy is simply coming from another planet !

Maybe he drank lots of "Kryptonite". You know, those strange energetic beverages sold at WS

DVC

Julien

I just chatted with The Great One on the phone... He said the WM was a great challenge - he loved it. Lots of long/hard shots, even on the field courses. He said Voigt shot very well, and that he didn't really realize what a great shooter he (Voigt) was until this match. (Meaning, if he didn't keep his act together, Voigt coulda trashed him.)

I don't know if anyone posted this, but the top four in Standard were the U.S. team:

1 100.00 2446.1454  830 Rob Leatham                   

2  96.43 2358.8901  832 Michael Voigt             

3  92.78 2269.6250  831 Phil Strader           

4  92.27 2257.0979  829 Ron Avery  

Congratulations!

be

"I think jerry missed only one steel in the shootoff, am I right patrick ? This guy is simply coming from another planet !

Out at the Factory Nats, Jerry M. told me that one of the things about shooting a revolver was "you've got to be perfect. With six shots in the gun you don't have the luxury of flinging a D and picking it up with an A. You've got to hit every shot or do a standing reload. So the level of execution has to be higher with a revolver." I get the feeling that not missing is no new thing for this guy.

Quote: from Vince Pinto on 3:23 am on Sep. 25, 2002

So, you guys wanna see an overall list of competitors to see who placed where against the Open Division guys, huh?

Consider this: Jerry Miculek had the highest overall match points

He wouldn't have if scored against open, I'm guessing he would have been in the 50's

Revolver shooters are generally slower and therefore more accurate than Open shooters, which explains the higher match points achieved by Jerry Miculek.

With a 6 gun, you don't have the ability for back-up shots unless you want to factor in additional reloads, so every shot counts, and it's usually an Alpha.

Hence if you combined, say, Revolver results with Open results, then Jerry would drop down considerably because time comes into play.

Quote: from Vince Pinto on 6:29 pm on Sep. 27, 2002

Revolver shooters are generally slower and therefore more accurate than Open shooters, which explains the higher match points achieved by Jerry Miculek.

Huh? Match points are calculated by adding up stage points, which are calculated by percentage of the winning hit factor which is based on points/time.

Match points have nothing to do with accuracy, rather they are points earned against other shooters by shoting both accurately and quickly, in many cases you can shoot p*** poor points but do it fast enough to win a stage and you get max stage points. Which then add to your match points.

As far as revolver shoters being more accurate than Open shooters, I dare you to say that to Todd, Jerry B., Eric G. or TGO and I seem to recall that both our most excellent host, as well as Doug K, and Bruce P. all shoot revolvers and pistols equally accurately, they have all shot both at Bianchi and done very well with either.

I'm not knocking Jerry M here, hes an amazing shooter (you should see him shoot open!!!) and one hell of a nice guy. I just want to clarify how the scoring is arrived at. Match points are arrived at through accuracy AND speed and do not reflect only one or the other

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 11:55 pm on Sep. 27, 2002)

Pat,

Yes, I understand how stage and match points are calculated.

The point I was trying to make is that the stage winners shooting Revolver and Open get the same stage points, however the Revolver guy gets it with a much slower time and a much lower hit factor.

This, in turn, serves to "distort" the match points when comparing divisions as hard numbers.

Just a quick correction on the World Shoot finish.  I was indeed third going into the last day, but my 3 misses (for a grand total of 10) on the last day put me out of the podium finish and down to fourth.  I think I was behind Ron by 13 or so points.  OUCH!  One less miss and my score would've counted for the team.  Oh well, I still might a have a few good years left in me.  Thanks for all of the support for the team, and congrats to the winners.

Phil Strader

Quote: from Vince Pinto on 4:18 am on Sep. 28, 2002

Pat,

Yes, I understand how stage and match points are calculated.

The point I was trying to make is that the stage winners shooting Revolver and Open get the same stage points, however the Revolver guy gets it with a much slower time and a much lower hit factor.

This, in turn, serves to "distort" the match points when comparing divisions as hard numbers.

And the same applies to Limited (standard) and production as well

The one advantage to separating the score is that it prevents the arguement that a match is Open friendly or  revolver unfriendly, since you must only compete against others with the same equipment it doesn't matter if there is  a popper at 50m or a partial target at 25m