Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things To See And Do In Seattle

Geez, where to start? Are you going to have wheels? What kinds of things do you like (museums, scenic drives, trendy restaurants, ...?)

Downtown Seattle has some cool stuff... I'm not really an urban kinda guy, but you kinda have to go down to see Pike Place Market, there's a bunch of shopping around there within easy walking, there are good restaurants along the waterfront... and if it is a nice day, you kinda have to take the monorail over to Seattle Center, and go up to the top of the Space Needle.

The best stuff, IMO, is outa-town, though. Drive up to Snoqualmie Falls and have lunch at the Salish lodge. Take a ferry across the sound to Bremerton and cruise up the Olympic Peninsula to the Olympic National Forest, or across to Ocean Shores. Or... I don't know, tons of other things. Give me some hints about what you like, I'll give you some ideas.

One thing is for sure... this place is a feast for the eyes. Water, trees, snow-capped mountains, eagles... if you like scenery, we have it.

BRuce

In the area...

Mt. Rainier

The REI flaghsip store

The Hoh Rain Forest, on the peninsula, but close enough for practical purposes.

Ivars seafood/chowder house. You have to eat there at least once.

You can rent canoes at UW and paddle all over Lake Washington and marvel at the real estate.

You need to take a ferry trip around the islands at least once.

The Pacific Science Center has some spectacular exhibits occasionally.

The Boeing Museum. Worth going just to be within arm's distance of an SR-71.

Boeing tour.

Killer pizza in the UW district.

Orcas island up north toward Vancouver. Went on a kayak trip there to watch whales which turned out to be pretty spectacular. We paddled out to an oyster farm and bought oysters right out of the water. They were absolutely fantastic.

I don't know the Seattle brewpub scene, but if you're downtown, you'll probably trip over more than a few good ones.

Ivars seafood/chowder house. You have to eat there at least once

+1 on Ivars. Maybe twice, not just once ;-)

At Pikes, try elbowing up to the bar at the Athenian and have a pint of brew with a dozen oysters on the half shell. Great way to start a downtown stroll up to the Space Needle and back for another pint after you are done ;-)

If you are going to have wheels you really have to try and make it out to the Olympic Penisula!! It is by far the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Try and make it to Sol Duc Falls, and Hurricane Ridge both of which are in the Olympic National Park. If you go out to see these it will be a full day of travel but it is so worth it. The other option is to make it up to Mount Rainier take Hwy 410 it is an amazing drive that will really take your breath away.

If you are just going to be in the City I can't agree more with what people have said so far. If it were me I would at least ride the ferry over to Bremerton and then back. They let you ride one way for free so it really doesn't cost all the much. If you can get to it there is a nice park called Gas Works which is on the North side of Lake Union this is a nice park for a picnic or to take some nice pictures it is also just a couple of blocks from Ivars. You can also check out Kerry Park which is by far the nicest place to take pictures of the Seattle skyline.

Kalaloch Lodge on Pacific Ocean

kalaloch%20lodge%205.jpg

Mt Rainier

mt%20ran%206.jpg

If you would like to see some pictures you can check out my Gallery we have tons of pictures of one of our trips to Seattle.

http://ranch.bz/gallery/main.php?g2_view=c...;g2_itemId=4397

Edited by sturmruger

Kalaloch Lodge on Pacific Ocean

kalaloch%20lodge%205.jpg

Dude, there's something not right about going to the beach and having to wear a coat!! :blink:

Maybe it's me ad those 21 years I spent in Puerto Rico :lol:

You know, when a Cold Front is 65 degrees :o

BTW, it's a balmy 19 degrees here in Mid MO right now, I would welcome Global Warming anytime soon!!

Y

Ysued I could not agree more about the coat thing. If I remember correctly it was a beautiful 70 degrees in Seattle, but out on the coast it was closer to 50 degrees. Temperature wasn't too bad, but the damp blowing wind forced us to wear our coats. It didn't help that it was the Middle of November.

Ysued I could not agree more about the coat thing. If I remember correctly it was a beautiful 70 degrees in Seattle, but out on the coast it was closer to 50 degrees. Temperature wasn't too bad, but the damp blowing wind forced us to wear our coats. It didn't help that it was the Middle of November.

Back in PR, the middle of November is darn Hot!! Wait it's hot all year long :lol::lol: