Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Reloading Question

oldtrooper

I have been reloading for many years .38 Spl.,44 Mag&Spl.,45ACP, 9mm, 38 Super (Bianchi Cup Loads) "B" Class USPSA shooting a Glock 21, Distinguished in both Open & Metallic in Bianchi Cup Competetion. I just started loading for a Glock 35 and this .40 Cal. is a weird little SOB. The Glock 35 has a fitted Barsto Barrel.

Got a great minor load for IDPA using Precision 170 over 3.0 Clays oal 1.120 F=139.8.

Shoots soft and is very accurate.

Working on some major loads for this pistol.

Today's conditions 48deg. and sunny.

First load: Vit N320 3.9 gr 1.125 Oal.

200 gr Precision Black Bullet

Avg. Vel. 886.6 F=177.3

Ex Spread 50.6

SD 14.7

Cases- Bought as fired cases that had been roll sized.

Ten rounds over chrono went fine then case head separated while firing for

from prone at 50 yds. Group was 4.0" but case head separated on last round

fired. Thought I had a good major load with mabye reducing the charge slightly.

Second load: W231 4.6 gr. 1.125 Oal

200 gr. Precision Black Bullet

Avg. Vel. 943.3 F=188.6

Ex Spread 73.4

SD 21.1

Same cases and 10th round over chrono failed to eject as it was severely

bulged.

What could be the problem and should I try 180gr bullets. I like the way the G35 feel in the hand more so than the G21. I intend to shoot it in both production USPSA,and SSP in IDPA and also for Limited,and Limited 10 using one minor load and one major load.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I've only been loading for this cartridge for a short time. I have learned that there are many internal dimensions to the various cases, some with thicker webs some with thinner.

I'd venture to guess that the separation was a PMC, right? I had a head separation with this brass. The story I heard is that the web is too thin on some of the first couple years cartridges, and they pop off sometimes.

I'm thinking that the other situation is one of a thicker web. I mean, if you are loading the 200 grain bullets, that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for powder. Could be that a case with a thicker web combined with that loading was just more than it could handle.

Like I said, this is just conjecture. You might start with the 180 grain bullets and some of the proven loads posted on here elsewhere. That combo might be a bit more forgiving.

FWIW.

40 looks too be the most sensitive of the calibers you've loaded (excepting any hot 44's).

You have a heavy bullet, with a fast powder, loaded somewhat short...and your loads are too hot.

- No PMC brass

- No "F C" brass

- No "questionable history" brass at Major

- Increase the OAL a bit to 1.135 -1.145 (whatever feeds best...chamber check it to ensure the chamber/rifling has been cut properly before firing any)

- go with a lighter bullet (180's are what the vast majority shoots for major)

- No 231 in 40 (not for me)

- vv320 should be good, but maybe not with any of the above

- I use, and suggest, a Lee FDC (Factory Crimp Die) in the last station. (regardless, check to see if your bullets pass the setback test)

Try 180's with something in the 3.5g neighborhood of TiteGroup or vv320 at 1.135 for your minor loads. Use the same powder for Major. build it up toward 170-172pf...checking for pressure signs as you go.

Not anything wrong with your bullets, you just might want to use a slightly slower powder. I've been tinkering with new loads in my Glock 22 with a KKM barrel. I'm testing 200gr Precision moly bullet loads right now and I'm liking the feel - not quite so harsh and snappy as 185 bullets. I'm a .45 buff and the 200s seems to feel closer to that slower rolling recoil which I think is easier for me to shoot.

Here's a couple loads that made major in my chrono outing yesterday:

200gr. Precision black bullet

1.135" OAL

Federal 100 primers

5.0gr. Power Pistol = 850fps

4.4gr. Universal Clays = 860fps

No pressure signs with either. I want to say Universal felt a little softer, but a little smokey. Need to load more and shoot some drills to better compare.

Loads that seemed to work with 185gr. Precision in my gun were 5.5gr. of Power Pistol and 4.4gr. of Titegroup.

Yeah...there is some give and take there. If you go (stay) with heavy bullets, then you likely need to use a slower powder.

For the minor loads (USPSA Production and IDPA SSP), I'd be suprised if you stayed with the 200's.

For my Production loads, I've switched from MG 180's to MG 155's. Cheaper means more of them ;) Oh, and I switched from 330 to Titegroup.

Hello: For your IDPA load I use 155 grain Precision bullets. I load it long normally for my STI and Kimber. For your Glock I would use 155 grain Precision,3.5 grains Tite Group, Winchester primer and 1.135 overall length. You might as well thank me now for this soft load that is a real pleasure to shoot. I don't have a major load in the shorter length and I just got some 170 grain Precision bullets to try. I do use the 185 Precision for major right now. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Yeah...there is some give and take there. If you go (stay) with heavy bullets, then you likely need to use a slower powder.

For the minor loads (USPSA Production and IDPA SSP), I'd be suprised if you stayed with the 200's.

For .40S&W IDPA SSP and ESP Classes, the "sweet load" is a 200 grain moly coated over 2.8 grains of Titiegroup, loaded to normal .40S&W length. 130PF, very, very, soft. Works great with both Glocks and 1911's. No signs of pressure whatsoever.

231 is reported to be sensative. Bullet setback is enough of a worry in 40. There are plenty of good powders out there that work well in the 40 (TiteGroup)...no need for me to play with 231.

Are you shooting minor with it ?

Both minor and major.

Back in the day.....We shot our .45s with 200 grain SWCs over 5.6-5.8 grains of 231. This was THE load but it turned out to temperature sensitive and dirty.....

VV powders are much better although I only use Clays with the .45 now...

try n330 with the 200s, 4.5 grains is where i was at with them at 1.135 oal.

fail that, Winchester Super Field...its at good heavy bullet powder in the 40.

Also Ditch the roll sized brass. it concentrates stress on the case heads causing them to fail.

also a good major load for the glock 35 with precision 200s in an aftermarket barrel is 3.4 Titegroup, 1.135 oal. and i use once fired winchester brass for that endeavor.

Hope this helps

Harmon