Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 1911 Double Stack

thejoe

I've seen almost every variant of the 1911 and 2011 with all the bells and whistles being used in competition and I figure that they're using the double stack magazines. The question is how popular is the double stack variant as compared to the single stack? I ask because there's one for sale for $420 whereas the single stack is considerably more expensive. I'm thinking if I want a gun I can tune this may be the one.

joe

Yeah. It's new. Now, the question is, do all the standard 1911 parts fit on the double stack version? By that I mean competition safety, slide release, sights, etc. I think the price is incredible, honestly, and am only a little hesitant. We'll see.

joe

Seriously...

That Springfield is likely a double stack in 45 ?

Springfield made a run of them a while back. I saw them on Gunbroker, new, for around $600 or so. IIRC

That double stack gun would fit well in Limited division, but Limited division gives the (capacity) advantage to 40 caliber.

It's worth a second look. Let us know more about it.

Now, I'm a little naive here, but the fact that it's made totally by Springfield is a good thing, correct? Makes it more of a sure thing, I'd guess. Since you've done some searching, perhaps you've found out about availability of parts. I've searched, too, and parts (such as mag well and grips) seem to be harder to find.

joe

I had one built a few years ago, from the milspc double stack model, I paid 500 for mine new. Parts for slide any single stack would fit, frame down, trigger, mag funnel, mag release ect, has to be for double stack, yea all the para stuff will fit and with some fitting the sti parts work great, I use Para and Meggar mags with dawson pads (18) round max for 45, BUT you could get a 40 cal slide with barrel (Para, STI, Caspin ect) and send to quality gunsmith and change to 40 cal (that's what I'm doing) para 40 magazines will fit.

Last I heard Springfield will not make a production 40 cal. in 1911 frame :( , and they could make some money. OR if you hade the extra cash and time Springfield would custom build you a 45 double stack or 40 for that matter. To answer your question YES buy it, it's good basic stock to tinker with and build into a great blaster, just my 2 cents

Good luck

IIRC aren't they forged and PAra's cast?

No,both are cast.

Also, the Springfield 1911's are OEM made in Brazil and the XD's are made in Crotia. I'm not sure about their long guns but I think Springfield may actually own and operate a factory that makes the major components.

-Sam

A good buy on a decent gun But...... what is your intent. your starting out wrong if you are looking at USPSA. Double stacks rule because of capacity. But you'll notice all those double stacks are .40 Limited or 38 Super open. Eventually shooting the bigger round with more recoil and less magazine capacity will hurt you. But for 420 I'd still buy it and shoot the heck out of it ask questions handle other shooters guns find out what you like and dislike work on your basic skills before designing and buying exactly what you want.