Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Primers In A Dillon 550b? Safe?

53gravely

My local gunshop is out of my usual Winchester primers...I bought 1,000 Federal Match small pictol for loading up some 9mm plinking loads and some .38 Spl. Bullseye match loads.

I started out with a Lee anniversary kit a couple years back and recall a warning about Federal primers blowing up in automatic priming equipment. I now own a Dillon 550B (Thanks Brian for steerin' me right!!!).

Are these primers safe in the Dillon 550B???

I have put CASES and CASES through my 550's. I know one guy that blew up a tube of them in a 650, but I don't personally know anyone that has had a problem other than him.

I seem to recall someone saying that they have blown up a few tubes in a 650, you around here Bill? :P

Federal primers rock, I load them all the time in my 550 without a hitch.

I'm afraid I am one of the unfortunates that has launched the black rod into the overhead with a 650 using Federal primers. I still use them, I just don't put...that...final...push on it if it doesn't go easily.

As far as the 550 goes, it has a completely different primer mechanism and I cannot recall ever hearing of one detonating a tube of primers. I still use it to load .38 and other loads. If it is going in my revolver, it has a Federal primer.

OBTW, I leave that bent primer follower rod hanging in the overhead to remind me of the consequenses of trying to seat a Federal primer that doesn't want to go. <_<

FWIW

dj

Please repeat after me.....There is nothing wrong with Federal primers..... :mellow::blink::D

I have several friends that are known to be really stubborn and usually dont listen to any advice.....Years ago they had the Lee loaders that had the plastic primer holder that "shakes" the primers back and forth when the ram goes up and down. Their instructions specifically state not to use Federal primers in the press.....They have scars on their face due to "knowing" more that the manufacturer...The primer container on the press exploded, sending shrapnel all over the place, luckily there were only a couple of primers left in the container. Thank God they had glasses on. Nothing wrong with the primers, just people not listening or paying attention to the instructions and doing what they know they shouldnt do.......

I myself set off a tube of Federal primers in my 650, I was going too fast and being rammy.....It was not the press's fault, just mine.....

If you shoot Revolvers/Striker fired autos and have a light action, Federal primers are the only way to fly. There is nothing wrong with the primers.....just the people using them. In the Dillon priming system they are just fine.

I hope just one person reads this and doesnt believe the urban "truth" that they have been told somewhere.......

Enjoy your primers!

DougC

Federal is all I use in my 650 and you need to be careful since one going off sets off the whole batch.

Not an issue with the 550 since even if you did set one off that is all that is going off

I wish I could get some Fed SR primers right now

My local gunshop is out of my usual Winchester primers...I bought 1,000 Federal Match small pictol for loading up some 9mm plinking loads and some .38 Spl. Bullseye match loads.

I started out with a Lee anniversary kit a couple years back and recall a warning about Federal primers blowing up in automatic priming equipment. I now own a Dillon 550B (Thanks Brian for steerin' me right!!!).

They haven't blown mine up yet.

Federal is all I use in my 650 and you need to be careful since one going off sets off the whole batch.

Not an issue with the 550 since even if you did set one off that is all that is going off

I wish I could get some Fed SR primers right now

If you need them bad, Olde English normaly stocks them for around $20.00 per 1000. Not the cheapest but it might keep you blasting.

I use mostly Federal primers in my Dillon 550 since I shoot a lot of revolver loads.