Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-more Mounting Hardware

HSMITH

I have an open gun that I will be finishing in the next few weeks and was wondering what type and size screws most are running. It will be getting a C-More Serendipity on it, and I am thinking Torx screws might be the best bet. Any feedback?

I have an open gun that I will be finishing in the next few weeks and was wondering what type and size screws most are running. It will be getting a C-More Serendipity on it, and I am thinking Torx screws might be the best bet. Any feedback?

I use the Torx head screws from Bob at Brazos Custom. With Loctite you really don't have to apply that much torque - especially important with the Serendipity. Bob's screws are 5-40 like those that C-More supplies. Don't over do the Serendipity screws - touch down and then maybe 1/16 turn more.

+1 to "just snug 'em up" on the Serendipity mount (I use that mount, as well). I used C-More provided screws w/ mine, but I was extremely careful about not stripping the Allen heads - I'm apparently a gorilla and have stripped my share of Allens... ;) Next time I swap scopes, I might order some torx head screws from Bob - sounds like a good idea....

Darren - I think its just a personal preference thing, in my case. Its a little bit lighter than having an aluminum mount on the gun. I notice a difference in dot movement on guns w/ Al mounts, too - I haven't spent a lot of time to determine if that's just me, or if there's really a difference...

Darren, I picked up a new Serendipity for $150 shipped, that is the only reason I am using it. I have zero open gun experience, and figured it would be just fine to start. If I don't like it there are several mounts that use the Serendipity hole pattern.

Holes are drilled, sight is mounted, gun will hopefully hit the range tomorrow. Thanks all for the insight!

Darren, I picked up a new Serendipity for $150 shipped, that is the only reason I am using it. I have zero open gun experience, and figured it would be just fine to start. If I don't like it there are several mounts that use the Serendipity hole pattern.

Holes are drilled, sight is mounted, gun will hopefully hit the range tomorrow. Thanks all for the insight!

Which mounts fit the Serendipity hole pattern?

Thanks,

Keith

ES, I bought it off the classified ads right here on BE.

Kieth, as far as I know Grams, EGW, and Dawson make them. There might be more that I am not aware of. The only real downside I can see is having 3 holes in the side of the dustcover exposed if I went with a single sided mount, but I intend to work through that before the gun is chromed so filling the 3 holes won't be a big deal if I need to.

I would think the only advantages to a C-more Serendipity would be the slight weight reduction and a low mount. But all you guys/gals know, just shoot and all will be availed. ;)

Nope.

If I had used a Serendipity my C_MORE would sit a full .250" closer to the barrel. :angry:

And I wouldn't have three more fasteners to come lose. :angry:

(There is more to my story but to keep it short I need a new frame to correct everything. :angry: )

Stay with the Serendipity. :)

FM

Which scope mount are you using that you are unhappy with?

Nope.

If I had used a Serendipity my C_MORE would sit a full .250" closer to the barrel. :angry:

(There is more to my story but to keep it short I need a new frame to correct everything. :angry: )

FM

Edited by ExtremeShot

The only real downside I can see is having 3 holes in the side of the dustcover exposed if I went with a single sided mount, but I intend to work through that before the gun is chromed so filling the 3 holes won't be a big deal if I need to.

If you're worried about the three empty holes, buy some hole plugs from Brownells. They don't cost much and look pretty good.

Vince

Which scope mount are you using that you are unhappy with?

Nope.

FM

I'm not naming names because the mount itself is fine.

(Except I had to tap the holes over sized to get some decent torque.)

(The redrilling and taping of the frame compromised the frame.)

But why in the world would anyone want three more fastners to come loose?

(Guess they look cool and the builder has another part (>$) to add to the bill.)

It's like a Japanese MX bike in the 80's; they had brackets for the brackets! :lol:

(Like expansion chamber brackets.)

I'm just PO'd because I need a new frame to correct everything. :(

FM

Edited by Front Man

Unless I am mistaken, the Serendipty has 3 holes on each side. That's 6 holes total. From my count, the Serendipity doesn't have any less holes than any of the other mounts of seen. ....they're just spread to two sides.

Regarding loose screws, that's what Loctite is for.

DM

But why in the world would anyone want three more fastners to come loose?

(Guess they look cool and the builder has another part (>$) to add to the bill.)

It's like a Japanese MX bike in the 80's; they had brackets for the brackets! :lol:

(Like expansion chamber brackets.)

I'm just PO'd because I need a new frame to correct everything. :(

FM

Which mounts fit the Serendipity hole pattern?

Thanks,

Keith

Almost everyone's one sided mounts fit the C-More pattern. Brazos and Dawson mounts are "C-More +2" pattern meaning that the C-More is three holes 0.75" on center. The one-sided mounts place a hole between the C-More pattern holes making it five holes 0.375" on center.

You should be able to remove the Serendipity and put a one-sided mount directly on the frame by just drilling/tapping the two extra holes.

Almost everyone's one sided mounts fit the C-More pattern. Brazos and Dawson mounts are "C-More +2" pattern meaning that the C-More is three holes 0.75" on center. The one-sided mounts place a hole between the C-More pattern holes making it five holes 0.375" on center.

You should be able to remove the Serendipity and put a one-sided mount directly on the frame by just drilling/tapping the two extra holes.

Thanks for the answer, but I was hoping to use just the existing holes and mount a tube type red dot instead. I guess I could get a blank Weigand mount and drill it myself...or I could just hang in and try to get used to the C-More.

Unless I am mistaken, the Serendipty has 3 holes on each side. That's 6 holes total. From my count, the Serendipity doesn't have any less holes than any of the other mounts of seen. ....they're just spread to two sides.

Regarding loose screws, that's what Loctite is for.

DM

It's not three more fasteners to the frame of the weapon; it is that there are three more fasteners to mount the C-MORE (Slide Ride?) to the mount.

(Those are the ones that become loose if you over lube your Blaster.)

Brackets for brackets.

And brackets become loose sooner than you want. :(

FM

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to talk with my tool and die maker buddy and see if there's a better solution.

DM

It's not three more fasteners to the frame of the weapon; it is that there are three more fasteners to mount the C-MORE (Slide Ride?) to the mount.

(Those are the ones that become loose if you over lube your Blaster.)

Brackets for brackets.

And brackets become loose sooner than you want. :(

FM

It's too late.

The original configuration was with A Wiegand mount and PDP3.

Instead of having the original builder make the conversion and doing it

right I gave to our local guy.

So, the frame is already swiss cheese and there is even a crack in the dust cover now.

KEEP IT SIMPLE (with a) SERENDIPITY

JMHO

FM