Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Time 3 Gunner

DaG

I will be shooting my first ever 3 gun match in March and need a little help. I am left handed and shoot a right handed 1100 CM. I have did a search but can't really find what I'm looking for. Are there any vids showing a lefty reloading a shotgun? What do you guys think would be the best/safest way for a noob to begin with? Thanks for any help you can provide...

DaG

Go to Colorado multigun, website see if there is a way to get ahold of "ERIC MILLER". He is the best otherside shooter, that i know of who isn't Ambidextrous, and still shoot from the otherside. Personally I am wrong handed, but right eye dominant, sooooo...............

He also shoots a Remington shotgun, last time i saw him.

Trapr

I'm a hack at 3-gun, but a lefty with an 11-87. I tend to do the flip-n-burn (mostly because I haven't practiced anything else), though lately I just shoot Open and use speedloader tubes. It is nice to be able to slap a shell into the ejection port and hit the ez-loader if you happen to screw up and run dry.

I'm not the best at shot-gunning either, but this is what works for me. I keep the gun in my left hand, flip it over with my left hand above the ejection port, keeps it off the hot barrel that way, and load the shells with my right hand. I keep my shell holders on my right side. This way I can keep the gun in tight on my left side and not worry about hitting the hot barrel when bringing it back to my shoulder.

• 2 weeks later...

Lefty shotgun shooter here. I use a Winchester SX2 Practical. I think there is an advantage, as mentioned above, to having the loading port right in front of your face. I load weak hand, 4 at a time, with the shotgun mounted and it works great. Other than switching the safety to left handed operation, I think you are good to go.

First sell the 1100,

Belly feeder, or any shotgun or any rifle, never let your gun go dry, always reload before bolt lock if your not shooting you need to be topping off your tube. Practice loading on the move. Plan your stage make a mental note of where you plan to reload a lot of time your brain goes to mush when the buzzer goes off. I know mine still does. But make a plan anyway. Study the course of fire watch mistakes made by persons in front of you. Try not to make them. Be out there resetting the stage and plan your actions accordingly.

Here are a few good tips when counting your rounds count backwards, that way you know how much you have left.

If you do go to a bolt lock when empty and have to reload drop a shell in the ejection port, then let the bolt go home and stuff the tube.

If your using an 1100 bring your tool box, make sure you test fire the shells your going to be using. They can be picky eaters.