Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Annual Nroi Test

p7fl

Every year the NROI exam arrives and I sullenly take the time to answer the questions and return the form.

The questions are mostly easily found by searching the on line rule book. But, everyone once in a while they throw in a question that you have to take time to search out. Then search again to see if there are two close answers.

The whole thing is ….boring.

I don’t believe I have gotten especially dumber in the past year. I have been an RO and CRO for a number of years and mostly I just run shooters at the club level.

USPSA accepts my membership for 3 years.

Florida accepts my CCW for even more years.

USPSA doesn’t take away my B every year.

But, year after year I have to sit down and take a test of the rules which really have not changed ALL that much in the past 11 years I have been in USPSA.

Come on guys, it is time to rethink the waste of everyone’s time with annual NROI testing.

It does seem a bit much, but what if things "got out of control" in a few clubs in far away places like South Dakota and Kalifornia. Keeping ROs refreshed on the often changing rules can only be a good thing.

If you go to the Nationals wouldn't you really like to know that the RO's are knowledgeable about current rules instead of what was in the 12th or 14th edition.

Actually USPSA will accept your life membership so they don't have have to keep notifing you.

Montana issues 8 year drivers licenses but there are a bunch of over 70 & 80 year old drivers who shouldn't be on the road.

Edited by LPatterson

Nik,

Do you really think the jury is going to give much weight to a 10 question open book recert? Every year is a PITA and overkill. As for all the comments on current rules and updating Ro's.....There are good RO's with lots of time and little time....there are some really bad RO's with lots of time and just new ones too. I can see a recert for 2008 with all the new silliness but if the book doesn't change what is the point?

But, year after year I have to sit down and take a test of the rules which really have not changed ALL that much in the past 11 years I have been in USPSA.

Come on guys, it is time to rethink the waste of everyone’s time with annual NROI testing.

You'd be surprised. After the last rule book change, there were many occurances locally of how many rounds you can put into a no-shoot (that count), how many targets you can take sight pictures on, steel no-shoots in the shape of IPSC targets, what "in the box" and "not in the box" really means, what does "unloaded" gun mean for a starting position, etc. Often, I wish the RO's knew the rules better. Maybe we should make it a 50 question exam every year? <_<

I see no problem taking a short recert exam every year. Mine happens to coincide with my annual vacation...so it gives me something to do while on the plane.

Edited by SteveZ

I see it not so much as a test to see what you know, it is open book.

The purpose is to get you to crack open the rulebook, and actually look through it at least once a year.

--edited for the hate forum.

Hate that are so many that don't know where their copy is.

Edited by wide45

Nik,

Do you really think the jury is going to give much weight to a 10 question open book recert? Every year is a PITA and overkill. As for all the comments on current rules and updating Ro's.....There are good RO's with lots of time and little time....there are some really bad RO's with lots of time and just new ones too. I can see a recert for 2008 with all the new silliness but if the book doesn't change what is the point?

Nope --- but it would potentially remove one argument from the opposing side.....

.....but I'm probably overthinking it......