Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 purchasing

phenex

correct me If I'm wrong,  but I think Phenex was the guy shooting a a glock ( no pun intended) getting waxed by his friend shooting a 1911.

Phenex,

What is the budget for this little gem?

If I was you, living in the beautiful State of AZ, w/o any limitations, I'd look at an STI or SVI gun.  Single Stack or Widebody, which ever you prefer.

I'm not so sure of the IDPA rules, but I think if you get a bushing barrel gun, it can go both ways.

Matt Burkett was shooting an SV at the Steel Challenge last year that was a wide body in one of the IDPA classes and it looked sweet!!

IPSC CHIK1,

Is the DP gun really all that different from the stock Para?  I checked DP's Website and it looks like they fit a new bushing and pop on a couple of "drop in" parts but not much else.  It seems like an okay deal but at $200 over base I just don't know if it is a great deal.

-ld

Well I sell Kimbers and Springfields at the shop where I work part time and they are both reputable manufacturers.  Any of  their full sized 1911s in .45 would serve you well in limited-10 and they have 2 advantages as I see it: 1) you can shoot them competitivly out of the box and add any number of custom parts later to suit your tastes and 2) .45 is one of the best semi-auto calibers to start reloading for USPSA/IPSC.  Money savings are greater in .45 than say 9mm or .40 and .45 is more forgiving of the inevitable screw ups than .40 or .38 Sup (however, you should never EVER make any reloading mistakes!).

I shoot an STI Edge .45 and an SV open gun in 9x23 in competition - they are certainly nice guns, no doubt about it.  But there is no need to break the bank w/ those guns; for under $800 you should be able to buy an L-10 .45 that will not hold you back against the competition. Besides, you will need the extra $$$ for practice ammo.

Why not a Para (widebody) used, 14-45 or 16-40 and swap the rear sight for a Wilson or Bo-Mar adjustable?  Then, as you progress through the sports, you can add on later ( fitted match barrel and bushing, Tri-Glide Trigger or other trigger, etc) and save your extra $$$ for a holster, mag holders, extra mags, and most importantly, ammo to practice with!!!

Then, if and once you decide you really wan't to go full speed ahead here, you can certainly sell that gun to fund the purchase of a SV (my 1st choice) or STI based limited or open rod.

my $.02