Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting "big" matches for the 1st time

This is my 2nd season shooting USPSA and I'm planning on shooting Area 1 (3 days) and Limited Nationals (4 days).

My question is does you have to shoot all 3-4 days or can you only go 2-3 days shoot and leave?  My job is listed as "critical" @ work and my employer is restricting vacations (basically none) and I only have 2-3 days to play with.

Also, if you have to leave early will your award/trophy be mailed to you?

Thanks!

Trey,

I've been on several of the Nationals staff, and I fully concur with Shooter Girl.... about your only option is to tag the MD, and see what he says. While in no way do I want to discourage you from asking, my guess is that it is a long shot.

At the Race Gun Nats last year they did approve a bunch of people to shoot through because of limited time. However, it was because there was a little bit of an overlap with one of the Area matches (A3 maybe?). Because of that, and travel time to Bend, OR, they gave a bunch of shooters shoot-thru passes so they could just walk up to a squad, jump in and shoot a stage, and then move on to the next stage right away.

The bottom line is it can be done, but since there is a lot of stuff for everyone to deal with at the Nationals, we do try to stick to the schedules, and squading, period.

If you need MD info, feel free to email me as I don't know if it is posted anywhere. Welcome to USPSA and hopefully, your first Nats!!! Totally awesome!

Grrl and BDH,

Thanks for the help.  I really don't want to be a burr in any MD's saddle.  Maybe I can beg a extra day from my boss for the whole enchilada.

Grrl --- Are you going to Area 1?  It would be nice to meet some BE'ers there.

A lot of us did at the Race Guns last year. Just keep your eye on the Match Announcements and Discussions forum and pipe up when you've got an application/squadding request in hand.

No secret handshake, but the Maku Mozo shirt is appropriate attire.

SG; Cool! Bring your sunscreen and raingear!

Trey; One thing to keep in mind and that is to be ready for anything. (to happen, go wrong, etc.)  Several things happened at 2002 Area 1 that would have been nice to know about, but it didn't happen. One was that I took thurday and friday off work to drive down for the thur. afternoon shooters meeting, got my hotel room, ate a shi*ty lunch and then found out I wasn't scheduled to shoot until Saturday. I won't mention what that cost me in a vacation day, hotel room, irritation of my wife sitting at home alone bored off her ass, etc....no BIG deal, but it's one of those things that would have been nice to know.  Some matches in the past have mailed your shooters packet, and there was NOTHING at the shooters meeting that I needed to hear.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Like the saying goes, "prepare for everything, but be ready for anything."

See ya in Bend. (maybe......:))

Thanks everyone.  I look forward to meeting some Be'ers.

Area 1 looks to be locked in.  I was able to get some vacation.  When I send in my app, I will let you know.

Nationals will depend on whether or not I can get a slot.

BTW, how much does nationals cost?

When you go to Bend bring a mag brush and cleaning supplies for your guns. It has some really fine sand that,  when the wind blows, gets into EVERYTHING. I think I will stay and shoot the three gun after the Area match. Shot it last year and it was a nice match. I wore shorts the first day and after standing under a cover for an hour in the pouring rain had to try and reload shotgun. I could see em in my hand but couldn't feel em. The Cimmeron motel is inexpensive ( if not the Hilton). Hope to see you there. Nate

Bend - You don't need to worry about the sand/dust. or cleaning. The sand just helps smooth your gun out. I NEVER clean my gun here, the mixture of slide glide and sand works great!!! For people who insist on "super lubing" thier guns, you might want to try cutting it back the gallons of lube you use when shooting here.

Seriously, I am from Bend and none of us ever clean our guns during a match and the guns work great. There are tons of safety tables here, and bagging the gun while not shooting is the norm. DO NOT put any crap on/in your mags if you want them to run. Dry mags work the best here. Oil/silicone or any other stick stuff will act as a dirt magnet. The sand falls of bare metal/plastic fine.

It looks like we will be graveling (or something like that) a lot of the high traffic areas this year and working on some other things to keep the dust down. The spray we used on the berms for Nats seems to really be helping with the dust control.

Do bring stuff for any type of weather and lots of water and sunscreen and a big smile, Bend is a great place to have a good time.

Erik,

BTW, Holman and the Metal Mulisha were in town tonight, FREAKING INCREDIBLE!!! Yea you can ride from the range and there is a big jump park just up the road.

The schedule this year WILL allow you to see the sights this year and the range will be even better this year.