Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

got my Marocchi Conquista USA

ErikW

It doesn't feel anywhere near over 8 pounds. It seems all the weight is in the stock, and it balances nicely with the 30" bbls. Huge difference from my 1100. But it feels "right" and swings nicely.

I don't know if I trust the adustable comb to stay put. The stock's wood is average and the forearm's wood is well above average, which is to say, they don't match. There's a bit of a play in the very front of the forearm where it meets the barrel and it squeaks when you squeeze the Schnabel recurve front of the forearm to the barrel.

The blued barrels are average looking. The top of the vent rib has a nicely finished non-reflective pattern. The silver receiver looks good, tastefully unadorned, but if you look closely you can see some imperfections in the finish.

The adjustable trigger is cool: push a button and slide it to adjust LOP. It was surprisingly light. (Fewer ambulance chasers in Italy?)

It's tight as hell. Maybe too tight for Slide Glide #3 in the receiver. I'm talking break-it-over-your-leg tight. The lever stays well off center when the gun is closed.

I think the red fiber optic bead/sight (bigger than a real bead, smaller than an aftermarket fiber optic) might have to go. I doubt it will survive me banging it around my garage and safe anyway; it looks to flimsy. Of course, it makes the gun's muzzle just tall enough so it won't fit through the plastic hole rings of my safe's interior.

It came with three flush-mount Invector Plus compatible chokes (IC, Mod, Full), choke wrench, and allen wrench for the comb.

Overall, it reminds me a lot of the Springfield-era Tanfoglio pistols. It's a lot of shotgun for under a grand.

OK, so who wants to go break some clays with me?

Marocchi importer for the U.S.:

http://www.precision-sales.com/marocchi/index.htm

Marocchi:

http://www.classicdoubles.com

< $1k?  Freakin' sweet deal, Erik!  No wonder you couldn't pass that up.  I looked at a Marocchi 99 at the range, but it had the crap beat out of it.  I think it was a different model than yours, but it just didn't seem "right".  I think it was due to abuse more than anything.  

What is the lockup mechanism on yours like?  Is it the long, flat bar that goes into a corresponding socket or is it different?

To "fix" the play, you could try a piece of self-adhesive felt to take up the slack.  At least it might not squeak...  If you aren't happy with the adjustable comb, the foam rubber stick on ones actually work pretty well.  Mine's a year old and still looks new.

Congrats!

I think you did well.  

In his book, Best Guns, Michael McIntosh, talks about the Marocchi guns.  They have built guns since 1922, and they offer a large variety of shotguns from the basic boxlock to some of the best side lock guns made anywhere.  McIntosh shoots a Mirocchi Contrast which from the pictures in his book appear to be a cross between a Perazzi and a Beretta, not too shabby for any shotgun.  

Anyway, you got a good looking shotgun which should serve you well for a long time, enjoy.

I thought the M99 was a new design, but now I think it's just the M92 (what I have) made with new machinery and manufacturing techniques. The action looks the same as the 92. They start at $2350. The higher grade ones in their catalog are freaking beautiful.

I don't know if I can describe the action's locking mechanism. This guy can:

http://www.clay-shooting.com/guntests/marocchim99.htm

If the foreend doesn't "break in" I'll try shimming it with something.

Not likely. I don't have a digital camera and I lost my web space. Are there any of those free photo sites worth their while?

I've got a target with a group I fired at the first pistol class I took from Mike Voigt... I've been meaning to scan it and post it ever since I joined the forums. It was a watershed moment for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got to shoot it, on a sporting clays course, then skeet. Suh-weet! I can't believe how well it soaks up recoil. In a way, it even seemed like less recoil than my 1100, without the bolt moving. I was shooting Winchester Western 2 3/4 DE 1 1/8 oz. (1150 fps). At the last station I followed this load with a Fiocchi White Rhino "Handicap" DE, (probably 3 1/4 DE, 1250 fps) 1 1/8 oz. Imperceptibly more recoil. I thought I would get at least a little beat up, but it was a harmless pussycat. The other O/Us I shot didn't hurt either, though.

I picked up about 15 targets from my previous SC scores. Part of that may have been the course, which had several close targets. (I only used Cyl. and Imp. Cyl. all day.) I smoked anything that didn't cross much. I missed everthing that did cross. :( OK, I'm exaggerating, but the more the targets crossed, the more I missed them. 1 for 10 on my first and worst station, 8 for 10 on my best. This instinctive point-shooting thing ain't happening for me, and I'm way behind the crossers. This game is a bjtch... I've got to learn to read the targets and use different leads for them.

The gun started failing to eject after a while, especially the top barrel. I hope it was only because I neglected to lube the ejector rods. And I had ty ammo that was slightly corroded.

I think I was seeing too much rib so I bottomed out the comb when I got home.

The worst thing about my gun is it's too goddamned tight. I discovered it's not the monoblock and receiver; it's the concave sides of the fore-end where they contact and rotate against the convex sides of the receiver. Should I polish the fore-end's bearing surfaces to let it open easier?

The barrels were horribly dirty after only 130 rounds. I'm not sure if it was the ammo or what. It seems a lot of crud came off the ports onto my brush.

As far as cleanliness, my gun is always squeaky clean.  The only thing I get usually is crud in the choke tube and wad residue.  Cleaning these days consists of a couple swaths with a bore snake and forgetting about it.  I use reloads or the Fiocchi cheapies in the gray box.  And the odd box of factory AA's...

I'm not sure you want to mess with the fit of anything on your gun.  From what I understand, they shoot loose on their own.  

Update...

The fore-end seems to have taken a set and doesn't have the play or squeak it started with.

The top barrel is often reluctant to fully eject Winchester Western hulls. These are extremely dirty loads, so it could be a dirty chamber. I'll know for sure when I use up the last of my W-W loads and get into something else.

I felt more face slap the second time around, after bottoming out the comb. I was trying to stay farther back on the stock, though.

• 4 months later...

Very nice. Hose the ejectors with a light penetrating oil and shoot it some more. If the ejector on top doesn't start to work right, you might have to take it out and hit it with some crocus cloth.

I have a friend who reps those shotguns, and have shot them quite a bit. I have never had any problems at all, and I feel that yours are just break in related. Can't comment on the dirt...try some other brand of ammo next time and see what it does.

Super looking shotgun, looks lots like my older 682 Beretta with the silver receiver.

You should have a lifetime of fun with it. Glad to hear that you shot more to your capabilities with this one. When you start "seeing" the bird more quickly, and get your mount down, the crossers shouldn't give you such bad problems. Keep us posted on how you do with it.

Erik,

Are you shooting Winchester AA's, or another flavor of W-W? When I shoot factory AA's, the hulls are absolutely squeaky clean inside and out. Same story for the Rem STS loads. Dirty running shotshells are pretty much a thing of the past, so there's really no reason to put up with it.

The ejection problem is gone. It was primarily with the Winchester Westerns. I'm at the end of a case of Win AA, which it loves.

Thats Slide Glide you see on the gun. At one point I think I put a drop of Kellube on the ejectors.

Nice gun, I have read very good things about them.

The gun should loosen up within 500-1000 rounds, at least you shouldn't need to strain to open it. Some O/U's take a while and gradually loosen, while others loosen quickly and stay that way.

I have had one O/U that would not loosen up after 5000 rounds. It was a real pain. I finally took it to a very experienced gunsmith who "smiled" and with 5 seconds of filing, fixed the problem. He filed the forend lugs on the bbl.

So, it may not be self evident where it need to be adjusted- if at all.

Good luck

• 8 months later...

The importers website is gone, it had not been updated since 2002.

Are the Marocchi's still being imported? If so, how can I find more info on them?

I think I have spotted a nice used one, what might it be worth?

Hmm www.precision-sales.com server couldn't be found. Maybe just technical problems? Here's the contact info I dug up; don't know how current it is.

Precision Sales International, Inc.

PO Box 1776

Westfield, MA 01086

Tel: 413-562-5055 800-221-2613

Fax: 413-562-5056

psalesintl@cs.com

www.precision-sales.com

Est: 1978

Staff: 5

Worst case, contact Marocchi directly by e-mail. Their inglese is molto buono.

BTW, I think you can beat 900-1000 for a used Conquista. They aren't popular in the U.S. and they weren't all that expensive when new. If that's for a high grade model it would be a steal.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought it.

Marocchi Conquista Sporting, I think. Some chipped finish on the stock, and thin chrome on the receiver, but does not look like it was shot a lot.

Looks just like Erik's pictures 'cept not adjustable comb. Ejectors a little different too.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5802

Included hard plastic case, 5 chokes, and stock screwdriver. Chokes seem to be Cyl, Imp Cyl, Mod, Imp Mod, Full. Threads are metric, so they can't be Invectors. I need at least another Imp Cyl. :(

Shot a round of Sporting Clays Sunday. Took a few stations to get aquainted, and finished with 36. Previous best was 32, using my 1100. Cleaned the last station, for the first time. :D

Different ejectors, huh? What names or markings are on your receiver?

My chokes are definately Browning Invector Plus compatible. I think I only got three flush-fitting included with the gun, but I bought a handful of the extended chokes pictured.

• 6 years later...

Guys, I am new to the site, but found it by surfing looking for information on my newly aquired Marocchi Shotgun. I can find absolutely no information on it.

It is a beautiful under under shotgun with unbelievable engraving on the reciever, but I find no identifying marks except that it is made in Italy and is a 12 gauge

Is this normal? I see no serial numbers or anything else. I was told it was bought in 1959 and that it was a model SW57. I can not find any thing on the gun that tells me this. Any information would be appreciated

Thanks, Steve