Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the hardest shot in Clays?

tightloop

Really, there are few basic shots you have to master in Clays; crossers, left and right, incoming and outgoing, teal, and rabbits.  All the rest are variations on the theme.  My hardest shot is the quartering away dropping shot, low to the ground and between 20 and 40 degrees awayfrom you.  My brain can figure the forward allowance on all the rest, but if I have to calculate the lead and the drop simultaneously, it just kicks my butt.  If the angle is more or less than that I stated, I can get those but the shallow angle is a killer.  Any suggestions?

Tough shots. For me, quartering shots are hit when I shoot quickly, more so than other presentations, with little to no lead. I float the target above my barrel always on these. If the gun is on my shoulder more than a half a second, I would guess, I will miss it.

I try to account for the drop in the initial move after I have determined where I am going to break it. As opposed to tracking the initial flight and tracking downward for a period of time.

Of course, this is what I would do/try on a fast, dropping, quartering target. Ask 10 other people and get 10 different styles. Can't hurt to try them all.

Take care

tightloop,

Double your lead! Sorry, I couldn't help it.

That's good advice from Irishlad - "tracking the initial flight and tracking downward for a period of time." - is a big loser.

You may not regularly encounter this shot on your average Sporting layout... Imagine a target slightly quartering in, launched from a trap at about 100 yards, and gently settling to the ground at about 40 or 50 yards from you. Now that's one loser target. Besides doubling your lead, look at the bird, more choke and 7 1/2s, any advice on that one?

be

That is quite a shot!!!

Scratch my advice and go with Benos if you are shooting at that distance.

For me, more choke is always better. I am lucky if I can guess the correct distance of a target within 10 yards of actual, particulary shots over 30 yards.

The "Settling Mallards" shot you describe is very tough, especially at distance.  The main thing I try to do with it is be under it two times the amount I think I need to be, while shooting at the nose of the target, because it has lost almost all the forward momentum. Big shot, 7.5's and Imod or Full at 50+ depending on how your gun shoots.

Maybe I haven't seen all the presentations that can be thrown with bateau's,  all the presentations throw them in pairs and you have to be at some angle other than in front or in back in order to shoot them.  They are edge on until  they loose speed and then they roll over and show you their face.  If you are in front or back all you see are only the edges and that is not the way the target was designed to be presented.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, please explain.

benos, that sounds like a station I just shot Saturday with TMC and Chris. The first one settled way out there, the second came in closer. It seemed like there was a point where they just ran out of steam and dropped precipitously. You had to get them before that.

We also had a "Whacky Wobblers" station. Both seemed utterly simple despite the random angle; they were basic outgoing trap shots. Just imagine standing right behind the bunker on the first one. We mostly torched the close one and mostly missed the far one, even though it seemed like a textbook 16 yd. trap shot. One tricky thing I barely realized was that half of the close thrower's clays were orange and half were black. It f_cked with your head just enough... maybe that's why we couldn't hit the second in the pair.

Quote: from tightloop on 7:28 am on Dec. 1, 2002

If you are in front or back all you see are only the edges and that is not the way the target was designed to be presented.

Correct.......but the question was what is the hardest presentation. No body said anything about conventional or fair

Well TR

You have me there, but the question assumes the respondees would  consider only presentations you see on a real Clays course.  Not have some idiot cut some 4.25 inch circles of old tire and throw them downrange, which noone could break!!!  Batteau's as you descrbe them would NEVER be seen in a legit Clays tournament.

• 7 months later...

OK, I actually shot in a tournament last Saturday. (I shot like complete sh*t, if you care to know. My worst score ever.) Anyway, the one killer target was a long, curling crosser from left to right - about 35-40 yards out. Nobody and I mean, nobody could get dialed in on it. If I have my head out of my arse the next time I go to the range, I'll try to get a picture of it and post it.

Long incomers. Far (35-50 yd) quartering crossers. A gravity rabbit. Then a bunch of stock stuff that I should have done much much better on. I literally gave up 20 targets just b/c my head wasn't in the game.

Battues and shondell type targets, if I spelled those right, are troublesome at far distances for me. Sight picture is odd and I don't always know when to fire.

I need constant practice with these, I can't fake it and hit them.

Long incomers. Far (35-50 yd) quartering crossers. A gravity rabbit.

On long incomers - double your lead! ;)

Gravity rabbits - shoot right at 'em.

Battues - triple your lead, or, poke and hope! Now those are tough targets.

be

BE,

The battues at this place used to be my nemesis. They FINALLY eased up and brought them in close and turn that station into a smash-o-matic.

I finally saw my lead on the station with the low, quartering crossers. I actually shot *in front* on my first pair and had to come back a touch. Weird, huh?

Thanks,

I'll check out the website, triple my lead and poke at it- can't hurt.

When I'm with a beginner, I always ask them if they saw the piece come off the battue... they always say yes!

Some day they will fiqure out it was the "wad". B)

• 4 months later...

Hardest shot in clays....ummm..whatever they are throwing on your last station, Sunday afternoon in San Antonio for the Nationals ;)

Technically though, I think that at least for me, in FITASC, it is a low flat trap shot. Since FITASC is manditory low gun, the gunspeed generated during the mount carries your gun over the bird if you are not paying very close attention. I have found a change in my base techique needed for me to even remotely reliably have success on this type shot.

BTW, neat forum. Looks like a place I can learn sumptin'. BE, thanks for hosting this place.

Best Regards,

Will Fennell

• 2 years later...