Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Overflows When Turret Indexes

I dont have a powder check die, just a decapping die in station 1, powder dropper in 2, nothing in 3, seater in 4 and crimper in 5.

The problem i'm having is that when the shell plate holder turns to station 3 and 4, it click so hard when the shellplate locks into place that powder actually flies up and out of the brass. I dont know if i'm losing enough to make a difference, but it leaves a decent amount of powder on my shell plate after i load 100 rounds. I dont know if this is normal or if i'm going to fast (not really going that fast) or if there is another solution to this. Thanks

Dan

You can cycle the handle fast, but as the shellplate indexes to the next position, slow down and ease it into position. This will also give the shellplate time to settle into place so the primers line up good. I used to use another progressive loader that clicked into new shellplate position so hard it would dump powder over the edge as well. I would actually use my off hand to catch it and slow it down as it went into place. With the Dillon you just gotta finesse it into place and you won't lose any speed.

JM

Oh yeah - I keep a can of that compressed air for cleaning computer keyboards on my bench. Every couple hundred rounds I gently blow off any debris using the little plastic nozzle attached to the cap. Gets rid of loose powder easily.

JM

I'm guessing it's a Dillon because we're in the Dillon subforum, and I'm assuming it's a 650 because you have 5 stations on the tool head.

One solution I have used it to drag my finger on the brass as it comes into the station. That keeps it from snapping into place.

The other "remedy" I have heard about is reducing the spring that holds the indexing ball by one round. This should still allow the ball to engage without the 'snap' that throws powder out. (I'm not advocating this change, just noting it for reference" :) )

Another option would be to change powders to one that doesn't fill the case quite as full. I use titegroup which doesn't fill the case very far at all. You have to look a little closer to ensure there is powder in the case but It doesn't jump out.

YMMV

dj

I had the same problem when I first got my 650. Just take the spring under the indexing ball and cut 1 coil off it. If still a problem, cut a little more until it indexes gentler and your powder stays in the brass.

Edited by nhglyn

Dan,

First of all, go read this 650 tips and tricks thread from start to finish. You will find a lot of good stuff there. I had the same problem and the spring thing helped but my open loads were still a bit messy. Since, like you, I don't have the powder check, I just moved the powder measure to station 3. I tried putting the bullet on at station 2 first but that just did not work that well for me.

Later,

Chuck

Yeah, i'm using a xl 650. I am going to order another spring before i go cutting the one i have just in case it get screwed up for whatever reason.

Thanks guys, as long as i know it's not something i'm doing wrong.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Dan