Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doping

38supPat

Well, here goes from a newbie. I'll list a couple then other folks can add to it:

1. Obviously, the best palce to reload.

2. I identify arrays that require me to perform my weakest skills (such as transitions from near to far) then I figure out how to shoot them by using my strongest skills (like far to near, left to right, high, low to high, or on the move).

3. I look for the target that will allow me to shoot while moving out of a box. For me, shooting the easy target while leaving is better than trying to set up and shoot too quickly while entering.

OK folks start adding to the list.

I try to figure out where my feet need to go...I want to get angles that will allow me to see the next target sooner, even if I can't shoot it right then.  I want to get the angles figured out so that I don't get sucked into the black-holes (ports, windows, barrels).

I look at the lighting on the targets.  I have noticed that steel targets that are in the shadows give shooters fits sometimes.

Shooting order, body position, footing, reloading and precise aiming points.

The big no-no's are negative thoughts. i.e. Hostages, Tight shots, strong /weak points DON'T EXIST.

Focus on where your body needs to be and what you expect to see when you get there.

One of the first things I do, particularily on a more complex stage, is find all the targets. I know that sounds a bit simple, but many times I've seen shooters listen to the walkthrough, eg. 'There are 13 paper targets and 4 steel.' Then never bother to look for them all. At the end of the stage, after counting up the penalties, they are heard to exclaim "But I didn't know that was there!"

After the walkthrough, go forward if you have to, find ALL the targets, count them and the number of shots required...then go back and figure out where to shoot them from.

Pat

Pat makes a good point about accounting for all the targets.  Look for targets that you will see from more than one place.  

Always remember to look behind the soft cover.  Something is holding it up.  I have seen rounds eaten, or deflected by the not-so-soft parts of the soft cover.

In addition to all the excellent posts so far, I look the stage over for areas where I know from experience that I will need to "raise-up" a specific feeling, like relaxing back to a not-rushing mindset, for example.

be

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to all the other good stuff mentioned, I like to walk through and figure out what type of sight focus I'm going to use on each target.   This helps me to stay out of hose mode when the targets are too difficult.  (Mental default mode is hose)  Like this: T1 and T2 are a type 1 focus, then after I go throught the door, I'm shifting to a type 3 for that one by the wall and the popper, ect.    It seems to help.

-Sam

After finding all the targets I like to look for all the locations they can be shot from, usually there are some targets that can be shot from more than 1 location so you can choose the best ( usually closest) place to shoot them from.

If possible you can eliminate a shooting postion or 2 and save time as each setup takes time.

After that has been looked at I usually try to see which way has the best flow ( that is which way has me feeling like it will be smoother for me)

Smooth flow from target to target is probably even more important on a small stage where there is less chance to make up time by moving fast.

There are lots more things to look for but my fingers are sore from typing.

classify the targets into *easy* and *difficult* ones so that I can visualize sight picture type and simulate the feeling of the trigger press necessary on each target (particularly the difficult ones...). Again, this sounds trivial, but how often have you found out afterwards that you misclassified a target as *easy* that was really *difficult*. That's where one incurrs misses or Ds. Conversely, one looses time unnecessarily when  misclassifying in the other direction (seeing a razor-sharp front sight on a close-up target).

Also, this classification changes from day to day and with skills progression, and even from morning to evening on match day (I peak -no jokes please- mid-day, the first stages in the morning being tremblers and being tired on the last ones in the evening).

--Detlef

If I was satisfied with my current capabilities, I'd never get better!

There once was this All-Pro defensive back by the name of Bill Bates who played with the Cowboys.  In order to get faster he would tie a rope around his waist and get pulled by the team golf cart a little faster than he could sprint by his own.

He trained his body and mind to go beyond his physical and psycological boundries.

I say, don't under-estimate yourself.

The hard part is finding a willing GM to tie a rope to.....;)

everyone is different. I found that the place to speed up, push my limits and play GM is in training. In a match I am very aware of my limitations and capabilities (well, most of the time...), and when I screw up it is *always* because of overestimating the latter and underestimating the former. If you want to tie a rope around your waist in a match where I shoot, go ahead       more power to you...

--Detlef