Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bob The Nailer Is Coming

ErikW

Shooter is the movie version of Stephen Hunter's Point of Impact.

IMDB entry link

Official web site

But Marky Mark as Bob Lee Swagger? Oy. I guess he'll be an Iraq War I veteran instead of a Vietnam vet. (Give me Ed Harris or Tommy Lee Jones as Bob.) At least the director did Tears of the Sun and Training Day.

They gave away the major plot twist in the trailer and the IMDB summary.

SUHWEEETUAH!!!!!

Bout' Friggin time.

KILLER BOOK!!!!

I've ready everything Hunter's written. Too bad I started with that one, compared to it, everything else is a step down.

I can't wait to see how Holly-weird twists it to make the gun guy a bad guy, or even more likely right wing forces deep within the gov conspiring against a righteous liberal president following his heart....

Damn I'm jaded. :unsure:

Git em' Bob Lee!!!! :D

Edited by dirtypool40

yeah, Hunter even said in an interview that Jones had the "swagger" about him pun intended, and but for his politics might make a right nice "Nailer".

+1 on Elliot.

oooooohh, :blink: or how about THE man...

Mr. TOM SELLECK!!!!!

ok, yes, I have a man-crush. :wub:

Still Marksman, er uh, Marky Mark is better than Matt Damon.... What a Barbara Streisand he's turned out to be. :rolleyes:

Let's just hope for once they got a decent tech advisor so Bob Lee isn't a cross eye dominant, foot dragging weaver nerd. :P

Wonder if they will ever try to make Hot Springs, Pale horse Coming, or maybe even Dirty White Boys into a movie?

I first read Hunter in 89 when I grabbed a hardcover edition of The Day Before Midnight at an airport bookstore. Wound up being glued to it until I got off my shuttle into Manhattan after reading it all the way east. been a fan since :-)

In a way, TDBM is my fave of his and POI comes in second, but real close behind. I mean c'mon, a green national guard unit making a desparate night time, uphill (on foot) frontal assault on a hardened position against heavy automatic fire with nuttin' but M-14's, that's the modern day equivalent of the "Charge of the Light Brigade" and some pretty awesome writing tells us the tale.

Yeah, I like Stephen, he writes good action stuff :-)

Mark Wahlberg never come to mind when I was thinking "who could play Bob Lee Swagger?" Oh, well, they could have done worse (Tom Cruise) I guess.

POI was the first Hunter book I read as well. TDBM is a GREAT read, as is Dirty White Boys. Any one of his books would make a great movie, if done right, which probably won't happen. Lets see how Hollywood handles this one.

Did anyone else notice that the Colonel in The Day Before Midnight (Dick Puller, that's a great name btw) is the Lieutenant at the special forces firebase the Bob and Danny save by engaging the NVA battalion (in Time to Hunt)?

So while obscure, all of Hunter's novels are linked.

:huh: hey, uh wait!!! I got that off a commercial I saw on Spike featuring Steve McQueen. Really....I'm married...I swear!!! :o

Sort of a cross between that Spike commercial and his episodes on Friends. Hell, I even married a "Monica" personality type. :wacko:

I guess I was kinda asking for that. :) But Tom Selleck IS the coolest guy on earth. NRA, sense of humor, Quigley, Magnum, quietly, consistently conservative....and like me a little squeaky voice.

LOL. :unsure: Come on guys, don't change my username to BROKEBACK40... a "man crush" is perfectly ok, it's like a metro hero. :unsure:

:mellow: I'm not making it any better am I?

Well, humor requires casualties too.... I'm happy to sacrifice.

Speaking of older guys who could do it, what about the SQUINT, Clint Eastwood? Sure he's older now and does more "significant" movies instead of the stuff we love him for, but he could be an older Bob, or Earl for that matter. But I digress...

As to Hunter's books linking, almost all are, "Frenchy Short" for example crossed the Earl, Bob and Salidin books. I didn't get all the way through Master Sniper, so I don't know if it is a true stand alone, but I think Hunter got lost on that one. Mildy interesting concept, but a snoozer I couldn't finish. And since you described it I don't think I've read DBM. Hmmm, gotta find that.

Havana I think is the latest, and for those aren't sure, it was good, hit amazon and read it.

I would love to see Hot Springs or Pale Horse as a movie. Hot Springs would just be a fun ganster, shoot out, romp, but Pale Horse could feature some really awesome shootouts with the hired guns played by some great cameo pro-gunners (Yes, Tom Selleck :wub: should be in there). with Hot Springs we might see an emergence of a "modern technique" that seems to have skipped Holly-weird for the last 25 years. I liked how Hunter worked that in, and even had Frenchy take it with him to his new job. Cool follow through.

Pale Horse gathering all the gunwriters and fighters into one "dirty dozen" was a fun concept. When I read Pale Horse I started wondering WHEN Hunter would write a book about Rob, Todd, Jerry, Brian, Doug et al "types" being recruited for something along the lones of Pale Horse II set in the late 90's. B)

Let's just hope it's not all the "wannabe" gun scribes instead of real shooters....

Edited by dirtypool40

Awesome!! Thanks for the link. I've read all of Hunter's stuff (and most twice). I'm currently re-reading Havana. He's hard to beat for a good book with accurate material related to firearms. I'm not so sure about Marky Mark though... that's not a good sign. Still, I can't wait.

I would love to see Hot Springs or Pale Horse as a movie. Hot Springs would just be a fun ganster, shoot out, romp,

a big +1 to that. Hot Springs would be a great movie, if done properly. Don't think it'll happen though, but it would be nice.

Mr. TOM SELLECK!!!!!
Roger that one DP. ( Without the man-crush language of course) They are going to make you suffer for that one. ;)

Basically anyone that ever played a Sackett.

When I was reading Hunter's novels, I always pictured Bob Lee as looking a lot like Don Knotts. Squinty-eyed tough like Eastwood, but wiry! :lol:

Edited by Sam

:o What-the..... :huh:

<insert Cartman voice> "seriously guys....respect my authoritay!!! I'll kick you squaw in nutz!!!" :angry:

Ok, OK, I can take it.....so long as you don't blastpheme Mr. Selleck!! :wub:

:blink: DOH!!! I did it again....maybe I do have a problem. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

ok couple months later, I STILL have a man-crush and we're only two weeks away from serious NAILER action.

(I said Nailer, after I said man-crush..........huh-huh, huh-huh) :lol:

Hey!!! What about Clint as Earl Swagger?

And btw, it looks like Mark is doing the tough guy cross yee dominant thing in the posters. :rolleyes:

cute little online game though. :unsure: