Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A lot of the photos posted on the Forum appear way to large to fit in a single page view. They also look like they are drawn with a crayon.. indistinct outline and details. What's up with this? Is it my computer or settings or the way the photos are posted????? :huh::(

Hey Merlin,

How about a link to an example? The size thing may just be that digital cameras now have default image sizes of 2-3 thousand by 1-2 thousand pixels or more. If the software that you view the images with does not do a reduction, a 1-1 pixel mapping will probably only show you 1/4 (or so) of the image on your 1024x768 (or so) monitor. indistinct details may be an artifact of an image that started out small or was reduced and then enlarged or some funky format conversion. Indistinct details may also be caused by advancing age <_<

Happy New Year,

Chuck

Yup,

First of all size: That image is 2048 x 1536. As I said, without reduction, you will only see a portion of the image. The image quality is an artifact of the dark side of user friendly cameras. The autofocus computations some times get confused on close up images. The camera operator has to make sure that the camera has the correct focus when taking the picture. It also may be that the camera can not focus on an object as close as that. You have to back off in distance and use the zoom feature to get the focus correct. I would love to have a FULL MANUAL mode on my camera!

edit: snipped some confused ramblings...

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

Hey Merlin,

How about a link to an example? The size thing may just be that digital cameras now have default image sizes of 2-3 thousand by 1-2 thousand pixels or more. If the software that you view the images with does not do a reduction, a 1-1 pixel mapping will probably only show you 1/4 (or so) of the image on your 1024x768 (or so) monitor. indistinct details may be an artifact of an image that started out small or was reduced and then enlarged or some funky format conversion. Indistinct details may also be caused by advancing age <_<

Happy New Year,

Chuck

Worked for me, I could read the print inside the plastic bags.

As Gallery Mod I've been ragging on people to reduce (that's REDUCE, folks!) the size of their photos for both viewer courtesy AND the use of precious space on BE.com in general. Making viewers download hefty photos is almost rude, electronically speaking; but it's also an imposition on the hospitality of the forum air space.

A rule of thumb might suggest that your pix should be no more than about 150KB in size (that's KILObytes, not MEGAbytes!!). Less than that would be even better and is certainly doable. Many little digi-cams routinely produce raw images that are 14 or 18 inches wide/high (or lots MORE!!!) and are totally inappropriate in that form for posting online. Ya gotta make 'em smaller.

It's probably a browser setting. If you're using IE 6.* turn "automatic image resizing on ON". It's an option under "tools --> advanced".

Yea.. I have my IE 6 set like you suggest but.....AOL is my main browser.. ;)

Edit......

I just went to Firefox and the photo is automatically resized here. So..I guess AOL is the problem. I did try to find a way to set AOL to auto resize but......not. :(

Edited by Merlin Orr