Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model Of 1955 25-2, 6" Barrel

Shoepop

The Mod 25 & 25-2 were commonly known as the .45 Cal. Model of 1955. The 6 1/2" barrel was the earlier production; 6" the later. The 25-2 designation began in 1957 and line was discontinued in late 1957 with some parts guns going into 1958. A couple of barrel marking variations have been noted. Some refer to "1950".

Bottom line: The 6 1/2" .bbl version garners a significant premium for collector grade, I.E. NIB w/all. The 6" .bbl was more common. Some ACP's were reported mfgd. with 4 and 8 3/8 in .bbls tho I've never seen one.

The "N" prefixed 25's began in 1957. In .45 ACP & .45 Colt the Model 25 had at least 13 documented engineering revisions (dash #'s) Entire 25 Series discontinued by 2002. Supica & Nahas Standard Catalog of S&W will have up-dated data when released early in January 2007.

So, you've the most common barrel length.

Shoepop,

You have one of many. Shoot the PI$$ out of it. ;) and have fun.

You have to watch out for two things though.

1........It most likely will not particularly like lead bullets (mine isn't the best for sure) but should do quite well with Jacketed type bullets (may or may not like plated, you need to check)

2.......Some of these guns had too large of an opening on the exit side of the of the cylinder and were inheritly inaccurate from the factory (Per Jerry) and at this particular moment I cannot recall the number he said to look for as too big but .456 for some reason sticks in my mind...........a little help here from you tech guys (all I care about is if it is accurate enough and works all the time) ;) .

Hopalong

Well, I must have lucked out (for a change). This one shoots lead and jacketed as well as my 625-8 PC or 625-8 4". I looked at the front sight under magnifier's last night and I sure can't see where it's pinned. I can remedy that on my mill in short order. I also measured throats .456. Thanks all.

Well, I must have lucked out (for a change). This one shoots lead and jacketed as well as my 625-8 PC or 625-8 4". I looked at the front sight under magnifier's last night and I sure can't see where it's pinned. I can remedy that on my mill in short order. I also measured throats .456. Thanks all.
Wonder how those 250 grain .454" Remington swaged hollowbase RNs would work... :)

Mr Smith, ;)

As for the Ratio, I have no Idea.........but I gather they (oversized thoated Cylinders) we pretty common for a few years. Sorry that's the best I can do.

.454 sounds good as far as the throating size problem goes, but sounds pretty tight for the barrel..........Any of you really Technical cats know?

Hopalong (they guy who doen't know much)

Thanks Hopalong.

I have slugged a few and they all had .451-.4515" bores, both 25-2's and 25-5's. I have seen some with a good thousandth and a half of crush under the reciever ring too. A good part if not all of the reason they will lead at astronomical rates with some lead bullet loads. Oversized throats, lead blows past the bullet into the forcing cone, bullet comes in and irons it into the cone and bore, bullet gets swaged down another thousandth and then enters a bore that is bigger than the bullet so more lead is blown past probably taking most of the bullet lube with it.

A VERY light coat of Lee Liquid Alox helps keep the leading down with commercial cast bullets.

Has anyone tried the Clymer Taylor Throating Reamer Kit on a 25? I used one on my PC 625 and it helped a lot. Used one on a M29-3 and it helped a little, but then it already shot lead pretty good.

Plus both times it increased velocity by 20f/s.

The throats are too big already on the guns in question here, a reamer won't even touch them.
IIRC, the Taylor throating deals with the barrel, rather than the cylinder.

It reams about an inch of the barrel smooth, starting at the forcing cone and going toward the muzzle. It eliminates the constriction from crush-fit barrels and is supposed to increase accuracy.

The throats are too big already on the guns in question here, a reamer won't even touch them.

IIRC, the Taylor throating deals with the barrel, rather than the cylinder.

It reams about an inch of the barrel smooth, starting at the forcing cone and going toward the muzzle. It eliminates the constriction from crush-fit barrels and is

supposed to increase accuracy.(by stablizing the bullet before it encounters the lands and grooves

I just gave a quick 'eyeball' side by side with my 25-2 and a titanium cylinder I had laying around and they look CLOSE. I also have some steel 625's I will dig out. Just for the hey of it I will measure and see. Since my 25-2 shoots fine it will be for FYI as well as mine.

Shoepop,

I went to my 25 for the lighter barrel for just a little quicker transition times and it seems to have helped, but do notice a little more sight "jump" when shooting.

How is the recoil on that dude with even more weight off ? It seems that is would have just that much more recoil and sight "Jump".........a good trade off for speed? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Hopalong

hop, I just stuck in the cylinder to see if would fit because of all the talk about oversize throats in a lot of original 25-2 cylinders. I never actually fitted it but it look's like a regular 625 cylinder with correct throat could be fitted W/O to much trouble. I was just curious and playing around.