Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back in the day when CRT's were king, the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro series of CRTdisplay was considered the best with Sony Trinitron systems coming in second. The Diamond Pro was typically a monitor only with the capability to do high freq. scanning.

CRT TV's (with tuners and other consumer features) are really best made by Sony (I know you didn't want to hear that). The Sony CRT tube technology is still about the best out there. Their color circuitry for NTSC is also the best built/designed of all the eastern electronics.

Sad to say, but Sony still rules the writing electron finger (how CRT's work).

I am unaware of any complaints, at least with the customers I have dealt with. I am a Store Manager for Sears, and have yet to have one come back with problems or have dealt with an unhappy customer about one.

It is our step TV when someone doesn't want a LCD or Plasma but wants HD.

CRT TV's (with tuners and other consumer features) are really best made by Sony (I know you didn't want to hear that). The Sony CRT tube technology is still about the best out there. Their color circuitry for NTSC is also the best built/designed of all the eastern electronics.

Sad to say, but Sony still rules the writing electron finger (how CRT's work).

YEP. My Sony 32" has a picture almost as sharp as HD when a good quality signal is broadcast (some of the PBS stations do that). Most people don't realize the crappy analog picture is because the stations are sending a lousy image or pinching pennies on transmitter power.

Analaog TV is a very high performance medium......which is being killed off to sell a whole country full of people very expensive junk they don't really need.

Edited by bountyhunter

I think Samsung makes pretty decent LCD displays, but I do not like their CRT technology. Sony suck for other reasons, but no one makes a crt that has the same color quality. Sony rules for accuracy and chroma saturation without blooming.

NEC made great computer CRT's but the color circuitry in the NTSC decoders is a huge thing and Sony is the best there. The broadcast industry uses Sony CRT displays exclusively for quality of signal reasons and we live with the Sony quirks because image quality is paramount for us.

Yes, Sony TV tubes and their color circuitry are the best there is in the consumer marketplace for image quality.

Try looking at a component, or direct video signal into the same TV from a DVD player with a good late release movie. This will tell you if the Sat system is trashing the signal. The TV internal RGB decoder circuitry that feeds the tube directly processes all the various inputs the same way once the antennna signal, or composite video input signal is decoded so putting a component signal in gives you the best image the tube can deliver because it bypasses the TV signal decoders that limit picture quality/bandwidth so it can be broadcast over air.

DO NOT use a RF signal (cable/antenna feed) or encoded composite video signal to evaluate picture quality. Only an S/VHS, or 3wire Component signal from a player will provide the signal quality needed to properly evaluate a video display. Even the one wire composite videoi feed is drastically inferior to the component outs (S-VHS or Y, Pb, Pr signal).

There are also some test signals I can burn a DVD disc of for you to test the display with (Color Bars, SMPTE test chart and Grayscale). Let me know if you are interested and I will send you a disc and some notes on using them for evaluation and calibrating a display.

Thanks G,

Yes, we have an awesome picture running DVD's but espn letters and some other channels have the RGB shift, especially on the letters or text.

Our dumb sony has no way to calibrate or change the RGB unless you know of a way or does the testing just tell us if something is internally wrong?

A

I have a 32" RCA ( no idea who actually built it) and I will say that given a DVD or a good imput from either my cable co or camera, I can't complain about the picture. Biggest complaint I gues is that the set is about 24" deep.

Thinking about a flat screen TV, but in truth I have absolutely no idea what to look for. I am not going to subscribe to HD until that is all that I can get. and I am not going to toss out my DVD player or camcorder.

I bought last April a 42inch Sony Rear Projection 3LCD any really like it. I have extended basic Comcast cable, but pick up the over the air HD signals without an external antenna (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC,) it has a great picture, and very little glare.

I also really like the Panasonic Plasma 42inch model, the HD version, not ED. It really has a great picture compared to the 40inch Sony LCD's.

I would stay away from the off brand LCD's or low end models (Sylvania, Magnavox, etc) we see alot of those come back through the the stores and have problems with the display models.

Hey Anders, the test patterns when displayed tell you if the TV itself is responding right, or not. The signal correction usually needs to happen in the source device (best place in the pro world anyway), but you may not get any upstream controls. If you have a Y/C (S-VHS) out from the Sat system, try that into the Sony. If it improves the issues, then use that source and take the DVD player into the Y, Pb, Pr input if the TV supports that as an additional jack set. Some models allow the hue, chroma, bright and contrast adjustments to be set/memorized per input, but not always.

Another issue to be careful of is that TV channels do not all share color space values and color shifts and picture issues may be in the network signal feed, or even worse, in poor processing setup at the Sayt service where they input and process the network feeds. I find that correct color across all broadcast channels is quite often a quixotic quest ;-)

I will burn ya' a disk and ship it to y' if you PM me a mailing addy.

• 2 weeks later...

Running behind on my forum reading......

Samsung 30" HD tube for almost 3 years, no complaints. 1080i. Exclusively Dish HD or DVD sources. Some "normal" resolution programs look a bit fuzzy, but I am pretty sure that has more to do with conversions from network to sat to me. Downside to my model is it has only analog inputs (Component and S-video), but a newer model probably has HDMI.

I saw some negative user comments on Samsung before buying mine, but I have not seen any of those problems.

And, as mentioned, the big tubes are deep. If it is going in a cabinet, measure all dimensions.

Lee