Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Mag Tuning?

Will Abrahams

ok so i did a search for tuned mags and got alot of information about how good they are and various experience with tuned and untuned mags. however, not a whole lot about what is being done to them.

i have had mags (140mm and 170mm) tuned by Dawson, Bob Marvel and a few others.

my question is what exactly is being done to a mag when its tuned, how can i check a mag after its been tuned to see what was done to it...

for example...with a 38 super comp mag for an open gun

1)what should the dimensions of the feed lips be (width of the gap at the front and back)?

2)dimensions for the mag tube body?

3)should the inside always be polished? outside?

4)is there a certain way the top bullet should sit in a properly tuned mag?

i dont know what else to ask? is anything else usually done to them?

also, how does the gunsmith know the mag is tuned properly? what do they look for when they load the mag up, especially when they dont have your gun to test the mags on?

thanks for any help and info :)

FWIW, I know at least one mag tuner that had a notice in their mag-tuning area that said something like "These specifications are confidential information, do not release", so I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a lot of details on exact dimensions preferred by the tuners. The STI specs are pretty good-- if the gun is built right, it'll run with those.

• 1 year later...

The STI feed lip dimensions for 38 super, listed in the link on this thread are .355-.365. Does this mean that they should be somewhere between these measurements or is it a taper from one dimension to the other? If it is a taper which dimension is the front and which is the back? My mags are running like crap right now and I need to get them running at least well enough to survive the backorder time for Howard's mags. Any help would be appreciated. - Jeremy

Edited by 49COE