Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oil Or Grease For The M&p

Tolly

Okay M&P shooters. I am fairly new in the plastic gun world so I am not sure whether or not I should be using oil or grease on my M&Ps. I have called Smith & Wesson and gotten answers ranging from oil to grease to grease and oil mixed together. I am just curious what the other M&P shooters are doing with success. I love my M&Ps by the way and have had no problems of any kind with them so far. Also, would you lubricate your carry/defense M&P differently than your competition pistol. Thanks!

PS. Before everyone says to just buy some Slide Glide, I already own the light and the medium as well as gun butter, militec-1, FP-10, Rem Oil, CLP, etc...

Before everyone says to just buy some Slide Glide, I already own the light and the medium as well as gun butter, militec-1, FP-10, Rem Oil, CLP, etc...

All of the above will work well and you'll get a hundred zillion answers.. Personal preference as to what you do.

I do use Slide glide on all my weapons, glocks included when shooting them in comp. My carry weapon generally gets a lot less oil though, generally just what the manufactures suggests and i don't use the grease on it either.

That's just the way i do it.. I actually prefer using Mobil 1 and slide glide.

Good luck

Jeff.

I use Mobil 1 20w50 on the slide rails and just a small dab of Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the sear and firing pin safety plunger contact points applied with a model paint brush on my M&P's. As stated above, you will get many different answers to this question.

Edited by BigTinVA

..... Slide Glide, I already own the light and the medium as well as gun butter, militec-1, FP-10, Rem Oil, CLP, etc...

Yes, use that. ALL of it. Use one until you run out, then use the rest. Then go buy some more of what you like the best.

Do some experimenting. You can't hurt it. Of course it ain't a Glock ;)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

FYI, grease already is "oil and grease mixed together" since grease is nothing but a thickened suspecsion holding oil...... which is why it is better than liquid oil. It holds the lubricant in place instead of letting gravity send it falling onto your shoes.

Blending grease and oil is advised when the ambient temperature and grease viscosity are such that it will make the gun not cycle correctly like when the grease on the slide rails is too thick.