Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$100 Guns

mscott

It's a long ways from a BBQ gun, but it seems to be fairly well made and functions perfectly so far. It is a single stack chambered in 9mm Largo which is basically a light 38 super. A local guy had some ammo for it and Starline makes brass, so that shouldn't be a problem. I got a few spare mags from SARCO, so I should be pretty well set for feeding it. It's not really good for any action shooting in particular, but I now I've got one. I also took a file to the rear sight and made it useable. My camera pretty much sucks, but here's a pic:

th_starsuper.jpg

"It's not really good for any action shooting in particular"

It should fit into Enhanced Service Pistol division, for IDPA. If my reference's are correct, the magazines should hold either 8 or 9 rounds, plus 1 in the chamber. That's not too much of a difference from the division maximum of of 10 plus 1.

Then there is Single Stack division (provisional) for USPSA. Depending on how you load the 9mm Largo, you might make major, but I wouldn't advise it, in an un-ramped barrel. Better, IMHO, to go with it as a minor caliber gun, and use the capacity to your advantage.

And the most important thing, again IMHO, is that you have the gun, you like shooting it, and you have fun. There is no need to apologize, or even to feel like explaining why you chose that pistol.

BTW, back in the mid-80's, when I started in USPSA, I shot several club matches with a West German Police trade-in Walther P-38. That was a $100 gun, and I really had fun with it.

Depending on how you load the 9mm Largo, you might make major, but I wouldn't advise it, in an un-ramped barrel. Better, IMHO, to go with it as a minor caliber gun, and use the capacity to your advantage.

Won't make major ---- not enough bullet diameter. Minor could work though....

Hadn't thought about the steel challenge, but we'll see. Can't use it in the 1911 (single stack) class either, but it's pretty similar in size. It is probably about 90% of the size as it fits my holsters pretty loosely. I'd have to be careful with the whole throw-down or river gun aspect as I bought it from a LEO. Should be a good candidate for a truck gun, though. Federal made 9x19 barrels for it, so maybe I'll try to find one of those to simplify things. It's the first surplus type gun I've owned and it would be a great candidate for some home gunsmithing like front strap checkering, cocking serrations, etc.

Hadn't thought about the steel challenge, but we'll see. Can't use it in the 1911 (single stack) class either, but it's pretty similar in size. It is probably about 90% of the size as it fits my holsters pretty loosely. I'd have to be careful with the whole throw-down or river gun aspect as I bought it from a LEO. Should be a good candidate for a truck gun, though. Federal made 9x19 barrels for it, so maybe I'll try to find one of those to simplify things. It's the first surplus type gun I've owned and it would be a great candidate for some home gunsmithing like front strap checkering, cocking serrations, etc.

I own a 9mm Largo. You can use Starline 9mm Supercomp brass. I would imagine that any of the rimless 23mm cases would work incl 9x23 (careful w/ reduced case capacity). Speer has watered down loading data; the 124 FMJ and W231 data works. Bullet dia is .355"

Your gun should be every bit as strong as any non-ramped 1911 (same lock up system). but, its likely the barrel's chamber is completely unsupported. If you want to load hot, use 9x23 Winchester brass.

My gun is an older 1921 - that uses a blow-back system (yeah, a 9mm Supercomp blow-back!).

Carlos, I'd love some details (pics) of that blow back design...if you'd be willing to start a thread ??

Mike, let me know if you find a 9x19 barrel for it...heck, I might look at one to beat on if I could get a 9mm running in it.

Here is what is on Sarco's website:

9mm BERGMAN AMMO AVAILABLE FROM STOCK

Ammo available from Sarco but must be shipped separate from gun due to shipping restrictions.

Corrosive AM006

$15.00/100 rds.

$34.50/250 rds

$130.00/1000 rds.

Non Corrosive AM022

$20.00/100 rds.

$170.00/1000 rds

$320.00/2000 rds. (1 case)

There is also a little ifo on the web of guys cutting a 4mm long sleeve off of a 9mm case and using red lock-tight to hold it in the chamber to run 9x19 ammo. I have thought about that, but it seems a bit hoaky. This gun already has a stainless aftermarket barrel in it, so I hate to screw it up. At the price of most surplus stuff I've found I'd rather start with Starline brass and have good ammo. If you check Guns America it looks like I got mine for at least half price, but the similar Star model B is still available in 9mm luger. I'm not sure I'd buy one of these without checking it out in person. A local shop had one for $300 and it didn't seem to be as well made as mine.

Edited by mscott