Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi +2 Base Pad

infinity

Has anyone ever used this? Can anybody give me a measurement of the whole pad? Pros and Cons would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

With the SVI basepads I had, my gun didn't fit the box (not even close).

So I exchanged them with basepads from Dawson (+1?).

Still with the new and smaller basepads, I can only get my gun w/mag in the box when I press down the rear sight...

Sorry, can't help with measurements.

Edited by tekno

It's 1.656 long x 1.299 wide (1,345 including the finger ridges) x .912 tall (end away from muzzle) x 1.107 (closest side to muzzle). The top of the groove is about .070 from the top.

Dawson told me they weren't making those anymore. They were doing a re-design. Are they available again?

Edited by kmca

It's 1.656 long x 1.299 wide (1,345 including the finger ridges) x .912 tall (end away from muzzle) x 1.107 (closest side to muzzle). The top of the groove is about .070 from the top.

kmca,

i just want to make sure about the measurements...is this in millimeters or inches? and just to clarify those measurements are from the SV + 2 basepad? thanks so much!!

so, any confirmation?

My SV tubes with Dawson wedges on them and a cut down Grams spring / follower hold a rock solid, no reloading 18 rounds, and they juuuuussst slip into the box. There's some strong mojo involved if they got those same mags to hold 19.

Just a note of caution on basepads. I have eight Dawson +2 basepads and there are at least two different lengths.

If I put them on any of my 126 mm 40 S&W mags, STI or SV, some will fit the USPSA guage and some will not. I think it is the older +2s that fit the USPSA guage.

Before someone questions my methods. I have 5 Dawson +2 basepads all of which are too long to fit the USPSA mag guage on any of my 5 STI and 2 SV 126mm mags. The 3 older +2 pads will fit the guage on any of my 126mm mags.

I always get an easy 19 rounds in both my Dawson and Grams base pads on my SV tubes. One of my Dawson's gets twenty but I consider it a non-reloadable. I can start with it but reloading it is very very hard.

There is no mojo involved but the tubes have been tuned either by Dave or Beven. This does make a difference.

I always get an easy 19 rounds in both my Dawson and Grams base pads on my SV tubes. One of my Dawson's gets twenty but I consider it a non-reloadable. I can start with it but reloading it is very very hard.

There is no mojo involved but the tubes have been tuned either by Dave or Beven. This does make a difference.

You have to be talking about 140mm mags... :huh:

This is what is being talked about. These are the wedge type for the IPSC box.

107.jpg

IPSC +2 Aluminum Basepads

Designed exclusively for the IPSC shooter wanting maximum capacity out of their 124mm magazines for Standard Class or Modified Class; designed around Infinity IMM (Modified Class) and Infinity Sight Tracker (Standard Class) Pistols with Infinity 124mm (Duty) length magazines

what a goat rope!!!

Guys, we are talking about the "new" SV +2 STANDARD / WEDGE basepads, as pictured above.

So far as I know there is no "GAUGE" for these type of mags, you'll need to put them in the gun, and then the gun in the box.

The question before this thread is:

A: Will a mag fitted with this base pad still fit "in the box"?

B: Can you get 19 rounds in that mag and have any hopes of seating it?

Sorry it took me so long to measure the basepad.

SVI +2 pad is 12,25mm tall from the bottom of the groove the tube slides in to the bottom of the pad. The Dawson "International" is only 9,40mm. Looks like the SVI ones is about 2,5mm taller over the entire surface of the pad, also in the front.

Made my original post about these basepads and setup over at Global Village.

http://ipsc.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=4688

It will fit in the box with my flat top Limcat Wildcat. It didn't fit in the box when I tried it with an STI Edge.

When the spring sets a bit it's pretty easy to reload with 19 rounds in the magazine. Also it's worth counting rounds when you load the magazine. Sometimes only 18 will fit, when you unload and reload the magazine 19 is no problem. Depends on the way the spring sets.

You have to be talking about 140mm mags... :huh:

Or 126mm mags with +2 basepads

what a goat rope!!!

Guys, we are talking about the "new" SV +2 STANDARD / WEDGE basepads, as pictured above.

So far as I know there is no "GAUGE" for these type of mags, you'll need to put them in the gun, and then the gun in the box.

I was not very clear, the point I was trying to make was that you should not assume that every +2 basepad (or other configuration) of a given brand when mounted on a given magazine will be the same length. Both mag and basepad can vary in length even when they are supposed to be the same.

Lowlands, great post, that's what we we're after.

Centx, we're chatting about standard legal mags with that new wedge. Sorry if I sounded aburpt, that was not my intent.

Lowlands sounds like he knows more than SV!!! I just spoke with them half an hour ago, and MAN!!! was she confused. She offered numbers of 20, 17 and everywhere in between. She sorta settled on 18 with one more in the chamber, but I'm still not sure what she meant. She does say that they are intended for their 124mm tube.

Here's what I KNOW:

1. I was at SV's table at last year's FL Open, and they were trying to "box" several pistols with their new pads. Let's just say there was a lot of "bomar squashing" and scraping down the top end of a soft wooden box in hopes of getting that pistol in and I would hate to have that kind of possible drama at a major match.

2. My SV tubes (measured at around 122 or 123mm) with a Dawson "box wedge" hold a HARD 18, but slide gleefully into the box, no scraping or whining required.

3. My Hand made "19 round Brazilian Bigfoot Mags" are even shorter.

4. If you are going to push the edge that close, for one round I would definitely seek out a box BEFORE the match gets there.

Edited by dirtypool40

Eric,

What followers are you using?

SV's competition followers are very short and might be the key to holding the extra round.

If you are shooting Frostproof Sunday, you are welcome to try out one of SV's wedge base plates on your mags and see if they work for you.

Let me know so that I will remember to toss it in the bag.

Leo

Lowlands sounds like he knows more than SV!!! I just spoke with them half an hour ago, and MAN!!! was she confused. She offered numbers of 20, 17 and everywhere in between. She sorta settled on 18 with one more in the chamber, but I'm still not sure what she meant. She does say that they are intended for their 124mm tube.

In my setup I do NOT use a SV tube, but a Rescomp one. The tube itself also gives you more room inside. STI tubes with Dawson pad give me 17 reloadable and 18 if I push really hard, the Rescomp tubes with Dawson pad give 18 easily reloadable with the same spring and follower (grams cut to 9 coils)

Here's what I KNOW:

1. I was at SV's table at last year's FL Open, and they were trying to "box" several pistols with their new pads. Let's just say there was a lot of "bomar squashing" and scraping down the top end of a soft wooden box in hopes of getting that pistol in and I would hate to have that kind of possible drama at a major match.

2. My SV tubes (measured at around 122 or 123mm) with a Dawson "box wedge" hold a HARD 18, but slide gleefully into the box, no scraping or whining required.

3. My Hand made "19 round Brazilian Bigfoot Mags" are even shorter.

4. If you are going to push the edge that close, for one round I would definitely seek out a box BEFORE the match gets there.

My gun (with flat top slide) fits in the box of the minimum size with the SV +2 pad. To get it in I DO have to push the Bomars down. In a +1mm box (as allowed in the rulebook) it drops straight in.

I agree that if you want to run magazines like this you should definatly get a box and play around with a bit. Not just to make sure it fits, also to see what the easiest way of getting it in is.

At first I couldn't get it to fit I thought, then after some push and shove it did. Was kinda worried about it on the "hm, this might break my Bomar if done wrong". Played around with it a bit more and now I can get it in the box straight away without any problem. It's also the way you put it in that matters a lot.

DP,

i too have the SPS mag but with a locally made base pad and can hold 19 with a little extra push to sit it...i'm just curious though with this base pad from SV. Below is the reply of Brandon of SV re: the base pad

"Our most recent IPSC Standard basepads will only fit in the box with a factory SV pistol. This allows 19rnds to fit in the magazine and still fit in the box on our 124mm magazine. The OAL of the basepad is .575.

Thanks Brandon"

I personnaly witnessed three shooters using SV pistols, mags and new base pads that did not fit the box.

I tried to fit the pad on a STI tube in one of the mentionned pistols and it didn't worked either.

I tried to fit a dawson pad on the SV tube and it slid in the box perfectly, same result with a STI tube or with homemade aluminium pads.

The pad, IMO, is too big to fit our regular "box friendly" mag tubes.

I do have a reloadbale 18 with STI tube, SV recut follower, wolff 9 coils and a Schuwiduu base pad. Fit the box, reload etc.... I also have a couple of 19 rounders with different set ups.

I have to try the set up Lowlands mentionned on the GV.

I personnaly witnessed three shooters using SV pistols, mags and new base pads that did not fit the box.

From the SVI website describing the +2 pads:

Designed exclusively for the IPSC shooter wanting maximum capacity out of their 124mm magazines for Standard Class or Modified Class; designed around Infinity IMM (Modified Class) and Infinity Sight Tracker (Standard Class) Pistols with Infinity 124mm (Duty) length magazines

I read this as stating it was designed for the Sight Tracker (which has a flat top slide) and not the regular guns. Having a flat top gun gives you 1.5mm or more to add on to the bottom of the magazine as your sights are mounted lower on the slide.

If you can get 18 easily reloadable using SV or STI tubes it's worth trying out the Rescomp tube, that might get you to 19 on itself.

In my setup I use a Grams follower/spring cut to 9 coils. This is NOT the thinnest follower around by far. Using a (cut) SVI competition follower would give some extra space too.