Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK, I have a chance at an apparently kick-ass deal: a Compac Presario V3000z notebook. It has an AMD Sempron 1.8 Ghz processoer, 40 Gig hard drive, 512m ram, DVD/CD drive and wireless card, for $399.

Jump on it? And if I do, how much ram should I stuff in? A larger hard drive would be good, we'll see what they cost is.

It is several generations faster, and a couple of pounds lighter than the Mac Pismo I'm using. but if they have a history of bursting into flames, I'll have to have words with the warranty department.

OK, I have a chance at an apparently kick-ass deal: a Compac Presario V3000z notebook. It has an AMD Sempron 1.8 Ghz processoer, 40 Gig hard drive, 512m ram, DVD/CD drive and wireless card, for $399.

Jump on it? And if I do, how much ram should I stuff in? A larger hard drive would be good, we'll see what they cost is.

It is several generations faster, and a couple of pounds lighter than the Mac Pismo I'm using. but if they have a history of bursting into flames, I'll have to have words with the warranty department.

sounds like a deal to me. i'd check to see if the battery is one of those bad sonys.

lynn

Patrick,

take a look on Compaq's website and make sure the memory can be upgraded from 512. Typically you can download the computer's tech specs and/or owner's manuals.....

When shopping for bigger hard drives, faster is better, unless the notebook already has cooling issues....

Yes, it can be jumped up to 2 gigs of ram. So I jumped on it.

When I upgraded the 40 gig 4200 rpm laptop hard drive in my old Dell, I found a 60 gig 7200 rpm drive here.

I'm sure there's other options as well, but I liked their cloning software, which allowed me to change drives without the computer missing a beat....

When I upgraded the 40 gig 4200 rpm laptop hard drive in my old Dell, I found a 60 gig 7200 rpm drive here.

I'm sure there's other options as well, but I liked their cloning software, which allowed me to change drives without the computer missing a beat....

Not trying to hijack the thread.. Nik.. what software was that?

Looked quick, didn't see anything.

Not sure what you're doing with it but for me 40GB is plenty onboard as long as I have a nice beefy USB/Firewire external drive to come home to. Might be an option for you and there is something to be said for spreading your data across multiple drives (think eggs and baskets).

Not trying to hijack the thread.. Nik.. what software was that?

Looked quick, didn't see anything.

Try HERE.

There's also a version with a PCMCIA Card, in case you're running an older pre USB 2.0 laptop......

I used the software successfully to clone my original drive to a new one, come to think of it, I had to read the instructions a couple of times to make sure that I didn't partition the new drive.....

Pat, if you ever decide to let the Pismo go, let me know. They are prized machines and the best workhorse notebook ever made IMO. Slow, but reliable as all get out and still useable with the latest Apple OS.

Hope it works out for you Patrick.

My vote would have been to run away screaming.

I know you can upgrade the ram, but thats low to start, and why the DVD/cd drive isnt a burner is beyond me. But most importantly the prosceser sounds a wee bit slow. I have a 2 year old Compaq Presario notebook with the same speed prosceser (1.8GHZ) My opinion of course but i hate my Compaq. :o