Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 Mags Not Dropping Free

big_kahuna

Respectfully request some advice. Already did a search and tried the suggestions, still no joy.

2 of my G35 mags are hanging up in the mag tunnel, not dropping free. Mags are early FML (pre-ban) and supposedly "drop free". I live in Commiefornia, so getting new standard-cap mags is out of the question. I'd really like to rehabilitate these mags if possible.

Contact point in mag tunnel is near semi-circular notch at bottom of frontstrap. Contact point at mag is about 1" down from top of feedlips. Have a Glockmeister brass magwell installed.

Things I've tried:

-wrapping mags in soda-can metal and boiling lower part of frame (reference "glock soup" thread). Temporary fix, mags stuck again after a few days.

-cleaning mags and magwell, then applying armor-all/silicone/ATF/etc to decrease friction. Temporary fix, mags stuck again after stuff dried.

Considered, but have not tried:

-grinding/sanding/cutting on frame or mags

-scrunching mags in bench vice

Thanks in advance... look forward to getting the hot scoop.

Are you positive that they are FML?

fml_nfml.jpg

If they are, I would suggest the following surgery...if you are feeling frisky-

Field strip your Glock, and with the magazine release button depressed, slowly insert one of the offending magazines, noting which parts of the mag rub against the inside of your Glock.

Using a wood block and some fine FINE sandpaper (certainly not a Dremel) gently sand the spot on the mag that rubs. Insert the mag, note whats rubbing, and do it again. Although FML, the older Glock magazines were not nearly as "drop free" as they are now, as I am sure you have painfully noticed. Be patient with this procedure, and it should remedy your problem perfectly :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Your magwell is likely too tight. Take it off and see if the problem is still there.

If it goes away, then don't torque it down as much when you put it back on. (loc-tite the screw though, so it doesn't back out on you)

I do have a mag or two that are FML and don't drop. Even Glock mags can get out of square. You can probably pinch them in a vice to square them back up, if this is the case.

Any chance you Cali guys can send the tubes back to Glock for parts replacement?

I had the same problem with some Scherer mag bodies years ago. Sticking point was the same place as yours. I just got out the sand paper and went to work. Seems like I only had to remove about .010" of material to get them working. Would not hurt to remove the magwell and see if the problem goes away.

I remember once about 15 tears ago the company I retired from tried to get me to move to California to run one of their plants there. I just laughed at them. Told them they did not have enough money in their Payroll Dept. to get me to move there.

Thanks for the advice. I love this forum, you guys were right. First I confirmed the mags are truly FML. Then I pulled the magwell off and did a function check... the mags drop fine without the magwell installed. Magwell is pressing the frontstrap material inward.

Going to try another magwell and see if problem repeats. If it does, will try bench vise squeeze next. If no joy, will then try some judicious sanding. Will post results situation develops. Thanks again!

Always start with the basics when troubleshooting. A stock gun is the right place to begin here. Your magwell may have been too tight causing a bind. Try tightening it a little at a time until the mag wont fall free, then back it off a tad, and then lock-tite the screws with blue lock-tite.

Always start with the basics when troubleshooting. A stock gun is the right place to begin here. Your magwell may have been too tight causing a bind. Try tightening it a little at a time until the mag wont fall free, then back it off a tad, and then lock-tite the screws with blue lock-tite.

Ahhh... good point. Working it now... thanks Chris

Update and resolution:

Removed magwell and observed mag ejection. Mags dropped free with magwell removed, but they still hit a "rough spot" causing them to pitch butt-forward on ejection. Reinstalled magwell, mags hung up about 80% of the time... and ejected with backflip 20% of the time. Messed with screw tensions, tried screws removed, screws loose and screws tight. Symptoms continued without major change.

Tried squeezing mags gently in vice. No change. Was afraid of squeezing too much and wrecking the mags, so I was pretty conservative with the vice pressure.

Removed magwell, grabbed some 600 and 1200 grit wet/dry waterproof sandpaper... about a half hour of careful work in the mag tunnel and lots of retries with the fat mags... they now drop free without issue. Problem resolved.

Thanks to all for your input and advice!

Kindest Regards,

bk

Also try the newest mags with the #7 followers. They make the mag shoot out of the gun.

When the mag isnt loaded or loaded or both?

It's most notable with the mags empty. The follower sits up higher and helps force the mag out.