Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once Fired Brass

I would guess that most volume reloaders do it. You can collect your own (free except for your labor, and not necessarily a secure or regular supply unless you have a source such as a commercial or police range that will let you pick up their brass) or buy the brass. There are too many places to buy brass to list.

Briefly, there are on catalog vendors like Midway and Dillon, online vendors like the Brassman and Scharch, and you can also get decent deals biddying on Ebay.

Try searching on keyword brass in the reloading section and you'll get a whole lot more.

Kevin C.

Edited by kevin c

Find the nearest PD that issues .40 as a duty round. Make good friends with the rangemaster and get free brass..

I did that with one here in TX for years until that guy retired. I found another one but they are a little tighter and have an outside contractor pickup their brass AND lead from the trap. I still get enough to be happy!!!

Mick

A27257

I have been using Ebay, and not had any problems.

It's the luck of the draw on ebay IMO. My last purchase read NO MILITARY BRASS in big bold letters. Sure enough, there was more than a handful along with a bunch of .380 autos, .40's, etc. To top it off, there was shredded, dirty newspaper and confetti in the box and in the cases. I had to go through the entire box and make sure I didn't get a nice crimped primer pocket surprise.

The guy had all positive feedback and I'm debating on giving him a neutral or a negative.

I've pretty much given up on eBay brass. The last 4 or 5000 I've bought have been pretty rough. And thats from 3 or 4 different vendors. I'm sure theres some decent deals and decent brass to be found on there but I'm tired of looking for it. From now on it's brassmanbrass or someone equivelant for me.

Zack

The guy had all positive feedback and I'm debating on giving him a neutral or a negative

Stick it to him Neutrally!

I agree with Chris. Neutral feedback with a negative comment will be better for both parties.

I've always been able to ask around and pick up brass for virtually nothing.

I guess I was lucky with Ebay. I stuck with larger batches, and tried to stay with one headstamp. I did have one order show up that was supposed to be nickel, and it wasn't. I emailed the seller, and he sent what I had ordered.

On a lighter note, don't bid on more than you are willing to end up with. I now have gallons of .45 brass :D

On a lighter note, don't bid on more than you are willing to end up with. I now have gallons of .45 brass :D

I bought about a thsouand rounds of once fired .45 brass locally, then a friend who quit reloading, gave me a couple thousand rounds of new Starline .45 brass and, of course, I pick up the cases from any factory ammunition I happen to buy. Like, I have a large supply of .45 brass. I cleaned and boxed it for future use or, when I too stop reloading, to pass on to someone just getting started. Time will tell.

Similarly, I purchased a starting supply of .40 brass that, thanks to the popularity of the round among people who don't reload, is also growing. I didn't have to buy a starting supply of 9mm. So few people load it that I pick it up almost everywhere I shoot.

Too bad 10mm, 44 magnum and .357 magnum are not more popular rounds where I shoot. I had to purchase every case I've loaded in each of those calibers. When I needed it, I could not find enough once fired to make it worth pursuing. I bought new for all three calibers and try very hard to ensure I pick up all of my empties.

Lee

I have been using Ebay, and not had any problems.

It's the luck of the draw on ebay IMO. My last purchase read NO MILITARY BRASS in big bold letters. Sure enough, there was more than a handful along with a bunch of .380 autos, .40's, etc. To top it off, there was shredded, dirty newspaper and confetti in the box and in the cases. I had to go through the entire box and make sure I didn't get a nice crimped primer pocket surprise.

The guy had all positive feedback and I'm debating on giving him a neutral or a negative.

Have you asked him to make good on the bad batch of brass you sent? My experience with Ebay brass sales leads me to believe people will do whatever they can do make a bad experience right.

I know I've sold some people stuff on ebay, and when they didn't like it, I went out of my way to make it right. (i.e. refunds, replacement items, whatever)

As long as the seller is acting in good faith and not trying to pull one over on you, give em a chance.

If he is screwing you, give him negative feedback. It's hard enough to sell without fraudulent sellers out there! Neutral feedback is for those areas which are grey, and this may not be one of those times.

traxman

Have you asked him to make good on the bad batch of brass you sent? My experience with Ebay brass sales leads me to believe people will do whatever they can do make a bad experience right.

I know I've sold some people stuff on ebay, and when they didn't like it, I went out of my way to make it right. (i.e. refunds, replacement items, whatever)

As long as the seller is acting in good faith and not trying to pull one over on you, give em a chance.

If he is screwing you, give him negative feedback. It's hard enough to sell without fraudulent sellers out there! Neutral feedback is for those areas which are grey, and this may not be one of those times.

traxman

I contacted him after he contacted me twice asking for positive feedback. No response.

I contacted him after he contacted me twice asking for positive feedback. No response.

I had a seller about a year ago contact me in a rude message demanding I leave feedback for him. Now I had all intentions of leaving feedback for him once I tried out the part to make sure it worked but time hadn't allowed me to install the part to check it out and since he was rude and in such a goshawfull hurry to get his feedback, he got one that probably was not very satisfying to him. :o

Zack

It does seem that experience varies with brass buys on Ebay. My experience was fine, but I grant that I don't do a lot of shopping there - I'm picky brass wise and cheap to boot. I don't care for mixed brass and don't want to pay more than what the commercial vendors are asking. Prices can vary tremendously.

I pick up brass everywhere I go. Over the years I have accumulated lots for all my shooting needs. I only reload 3 times a year, in 1 week periods.

Remember to always INSPECT Your Brass, even if you buy it - Inspect it.

Reloading is work, but in the end when you hit center mass and win, was it worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had generally good results with e-bay brass, however, I try to find someone who sells a good product and stick with them. I prefer the Buy it Now sales to stay out of bidding wars. I've seen some testosterone driven bidding on several items in the last five minutes.

That said, I received 2000 cases last night from an e-bay purhase that are about 40% S&B, Military, and wrong caliber from a seller I had not previously used. I will e-mail the seller and try to work something out before I send negative feedback.

I did this purchase in a hurry so didn't ask the right questions, however, the more experienced sellers know that most reloaders who buy brass don't want crimper primer pockets. I buy brass so I don't spend my range time picking brass up. Doesn't do much good to buy brass and then spend time sorting to get rid of the crimped primers.

Keith