Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions On My New Rifle Build

uscbigdawg

So Mike_Pinto are cousins of the carbine after having Benny tune up a 16" DPMS upper for me on my new Cav Arms rifle.

I'm blue printing out my next rifle and was originally going to go with an 18" barrel w/ a mid-length gas system. Then I got to thinkin'. For Open, I don't need a sight radius. I don't lose that much velocity with a 16" vs. an 18". Why not just build a 16" mid-length.

So....my current idea is to build the new blaster with a 1:8, SS 16" barrel w/ a mid-length, Rolling Thunder comp and a rifle length tube. The reason behind the mid-length is to smooth out the gas impulse a smidge. The shorter barrel obviously for swingin' the rifle around. The rifle length tube for mounting goodies (bi-pods, et. al.).

So...first what do y'all think? Mike...this doesn't kick me out of the club does it?

The biggest part of this is that a local guy (here in NC) who I've found builds some pretty sweet blasters, has agreed to let me apprentice with him and he'll show me some of the tricks of the trade when it comes to rifle building. So, the new rifle will be built by yours truly.

Any and all feed back is appreciated.

Rich

Nope, doesn't kick you out of the club, in fact it would make you the grand pubba of all shorties!! I think you are on to something.

I just replaced the A2 sight with a gas block and put a JP/Lyman globe as far out there behind the Rolling Thunder that I could. IT IS SWEET!!! Pictures after Turkey Day are a must. You might get 16" envy though, so I will send them to you for approval prior to posting :D

Mike

No, not that one

That sounds good to me, but I don't know anything. It makes sense as long as the tube get's you enough velocity and is 1 MOA accurate.

I've been tossing around a similar idea for my next rifle. Whatever length the barrel ends up being, I still want a full length free-float tube. Hell, if I could get a tube that would extend past the JP block on my 20", I think I'd get it b/c my arms are so damn long. I also want it a bit lighter than my current setup (Clark Gator).

Keep us informed, Rich.

Just ordered a DPMS upper for a new rifle build ......... 16" barrel with a full length gas tube. Full length free-float tube. Miculek comp.

I got the lower off a fellow here in the classified forum. RRA receiver, JP 3 lbs. trigger, JP lightened hammer, JP frame-tightening pin, Arredondo Mondo Mag Release :) , Arredondo Mag Well.

Should be a sweet shootin' AR.

Will post pics as soon as the upper comes in. Hopefully sometime around Christmas for a sweet present to myself. ;)

Just ordered a DPMS upper for a new rifle build ......... 16" barrel with a full length gas tube. Full length free-float tube. Miculek comp.

I got the lower off a fellow here in the classified forum. RRA receiver, JP 3 lbs. trigger, JP lightened hammer, JP frame-tightening pin, Arredondo Mondo Mag Release :) , Arredondo Mag Well.

Should be a sweet shootin' AR.

Will post pics as soon as the upper comes in. Hopefully sometime around Christmas for a sweet present to myself. ;)

Please do Chris. Anxious to see another addition in the brotherhood of 16" 3-gun rifles..

Mike

Someday.....you guys will have to ask me how I got my AR15 with an 18" barrel to get down to a total weight of 5 pounds 8 ounces.......including a 4x weaver scope.

Granted, I do not use it for competition, however it is a sweet coyote weapon.

FYI......my competition CTR-02 weighs a pound more.

Tim

if I could get a tube that would extend past the JP block on my 20", I think I'd get it

Dave, JP does make a handguard that covers the gas block. It is fatter in diameter too, but I like that so win, win for moi. I never liked the feel of the skinny tube anyway and aksed John for something bigger and received a phatty tube that covers the gas block and fits my hand and long arms much better. Mounting a bipod a few inches farther out is a goood thing too!

jpar-05-ver.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The biggest part of this is that a local guy (here in NC) who I've found builds some pretty sweet blasters, has agreed to let me apprentice with him and he'll show me some of the tricks of the trade when it comes to rifle building.

I've been hoping for something like that. I would love to learn how to build uppers (the right way) for future projects and maybe as a side line. A little warning though, building AR's can be addicting! My current project is the third one from top, I'm thinking of building a 6.8SPC with a 13.7" barrel with a pinned KX3 flash suppressor to make 16.1". Will play in Tactical with it for fun ;)

I like your idea with a 16" mid-length gas, that was my original plan but got diverted to this 6.8mm thing. Make sure you post it when finished.

Edited by norbs007

Mike,

It's scary how similar our rifles are going to be. I was going to wait 'til I got back from Crap-istan to start buying parts, but anticipation is kicking my butt. So I'll be picking up the handguard, carrier and small parts soon.

The only big purchase that I'll have when I get back will be the barrel and optics.

Rich

TA-11 with Jpoint? Kurt just sighted his in and it shoots great. I like that setup for tac and open. Tac scope says one electronic sighting device right? ;)

Mike

BTW, that is the Wilson 1-8 Wylde with the mid-length gas and JP SS LMOS

Edited by mike_pinto

TA-11 with Jpoint? Kurt just sighted his in and it shoots great.

Hey Mike, do you know how Kurt mounted the JPoint? I know about the JP piggyback mount but thought it's only for a TA01 and I need one for a Docter. I'm thinking of the same setup for an Open rifle and want to avoid twisting the rifle to use the red dot. Plus with the Magpul PRS stock, adjusting the height depending on the stage should be a good setup IMO. Thanks.

Edited by norbs007

• 2 weeks later...

So the plan right now is to run say a TA01NSN and a JPoint on my next rifle. However at the A6-3G, myself and a couple of other guys were looking at the TA-11B with the red triangle/SOCOM reticle (whatever the hell it's called). It's pretty neat in that you have a red triangle with a circle around it. Two horizontal stadia to zero with and one vertical to orient off of. The only thing I don't know is the MOA the large circle is but see it as a neat reticle to consider.

Have any of y'all shot with it? Experiences, pros, cons, etc.?

Rich

The link is below:

TA-11B at the Trijicon website

ETA: What is the difference between the TA-11 and TA-31?

Edited by uscbigdawg

ETA: What is the difference between the TA-11 and TA-31?

In addition to the eye relief difference, the TA-31 is a fixed 4 power with 32 mm obj scope and the TA-11's are fixed 3.5 powers with 35 mm obj. There are also noticeable weight and length differences.

Trijicon has a spec sheet on the various ACOG'sat this url: Trijicon ACOG specs.

Thanks Mike. <_< And they wonder what kind of people would drive the Sooner Scooner and crash it on the field! :P:D:lol:

As for the JP Mount, I've got that part figured out:

DSCN0049-2.jpg

DSCN0045-2.jpg

The difference is that I'll mount it in a similar position on a piece of rail to the CF tube I'm going to put in or just mount in forward of the ACOG.

Rich