Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Flash At Night Shoot

Azone41

Every year we have a Night Shoot at our club. Its a blast to shoot we use different kinds of lighting for each stage ( we have elec in each bay). This past weekend I get on the first stage with my open gun and the muzzle flash was so bad that I would lose sight of the targets for a moment. Last year I was using N350 and I didn't have any problem at all this year using HS-6 and I got muzzle flash from HE**. I never thought to check it out before the match. I was told that I should have been given the most beautiful muzzle flash award. I wish I had taken the camera.

The Vihtavuori powders are generally low flash, along with SP2.

Guy

Lol...You ain't seen my dog bark. 3n37 that is a bright flash in the daylight...got some video from Area 2 a couple years back that shows it. And similar 3n37 loads in my old open gun gave off a flash that could be seen over 8' walls :D

The Vihtavuori powders are generally low flash, along with SP2.

Guy

Lol...You ain't seen my dog bark. 3n37 that is a bright flash in the daylight...got some video from Area 2 a couple years back that shows it. And similar 3n37 loads in my old open gun gave off a flash that could be seen over 8' walls :D

For a good example of vv fireballs click on my profile. No barrel ports 9.2 VV 3n37 :o

It never bothers me and I never see it outside

Edited by BSeevers

Admittedly, my tests years ago were not in a compensated gun. 3N37 also has a reputation for giving a compensator flash or boom periodically. I was not aware of this until I was observed shooting at a match and another shooter asked me later if I was using 3N37. The shooter responded that they thought so from the variation in sound. Since I had not, at that time, noticed a difference, I questioned further. They explained that 3N37 commonly would have several shots at one level, then have a louder than normal report. Since then, I have noticed this while shooting. Whether or not it shows more flash in the dark, I don't really know, but would assume the louder report would be accompanied by a larger flash.

Guy

I shot and won the overall in 3 night matches in November. I shot a 9mm open minor load using 6 grains of 3n37. I though the flash was much less than the 40 major limited load using tite group that I shot last year.

I looked at what other people were getting for muzzle flash and all the VV powders were pretty tame.

These were pitch black matches where you had to use a handheld flashlight or weaponlight. It was so dark most people wore headlamps to reset steel, tape targets, score and get around between stages.

Oh and the most impressive muzzle flash I saw during these matches was on a shotgun stage where one guy used buckshot to take down two texas stars. Huge 1' fireballs roared out of his muzzle and everyone cheered in delight. The shooter didn't think it was quite as cool though as he blinked out the white spots as he tried to shoot.

• 4 weeks later...