Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With Norton Anti-virus

Trying to install my newly purchased Norton antivirus and it won't let me because the old corporate version is on my computer. I used the add/remove programs to try and get it off, but it error'd while it was uninstalling. Now the program is still running on the computer but none of it's folders show up nor is it on my add/remove list.

Any ideas?

Symantec also has a utility to remove all traces of NAV.

Matt, I was an avid user of NAV from back in the day when Peter Norton was the Norton of AV, long before Symantec entered the picture. That being said, I walked away from NAV a year or so ago and have not looked back. Frankly, if you can get your money back, go with a different product. NAV gobbled up resources, slowed down my system, and was a general pita. Just my opinion, ymmv.l

Frankly, if you can get your money back, go with a different product. NAV gobbled up resources, slowed down my system, and was a general pita. Just my opinion, ymmv.l

I had the exact same results. Of course it was already installed on my system but it was quickly replaced with AVG+Firewall. Hope you have better results.

Frankly, if you can get your money back, go with a different product. NAV gobbled up resources, slowed down my system, and was a general pita. Just my opinion, ymmv.l

I had the exact same results. Of course it was already installed on my system but it was quickly replaced with AVG+Firewall. Hope you have better results.

Ah! Another AVG fan!

Matt, even the free version of AVG is better than NAV. All it lacks is the auto-update features.

AVG Free

and check this money saving page:

46 Freeware Utilities

Matt,

Getting your CC# stolen can be more things than just Norton.

Try this to remove it

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.n...001090510510636

I do not know what operating system your are using, but you need to be XP and do the security updates at least weekly. MS is pushing security updates daily sometimes.

I have found people running XP and be 25 updates behind. There is also some very good freeware programs, spybot and spyware blaster.

Make sure you enable XP firewall and auto update features.

Hope this helps

I have crashed more systems with the big name anti virus software than you can believe. Last time I removed Norton I literally had to do a file search and anything with their name on it I ripped out by the roots (I don't recommend this unless you are at the end of your rope). I then installed the free version of AVG and the free version of Zone Alarm along with Adaware, Spybot and Spyware blaster.

The free version of AVG automatically updates itself every day. Zone Alarm tells you when updates are necessary and the others I update whenever I start them. They all work great.

This should be the hate forum because I hate what both McAfee and Norton do to my computer - they basically take over too many things and once in they are royal pains to get out.