Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Select Slug

There are two ways really but only one you would really use - the slow way would be to simply pull the bolt back, holding it back after the shell ejects, hold the frame whilst also holding the bolt back and with the weak hand grab the slug and drop it in the body and then release the bolt, this is all thumbs and fingers and take some practice to perfect, and of course only really works if you want to fire one slug - the faster way would simply to load the slugs into the magazine as per normal and shoot safely the chambered birdshot shell downrange, preferably at an unshot target, and hence the slug is now chambered and ready to fire.

If there are better ways I have never seen them.

+ 1 with Mike. Load your slug or slugs into the magazine and either 1) shoot a round to chamber the slug - the fastest method or 2) if you can't do that, hit the release tab to put your freshly loaded slug on the lifter and manually work the bolt to eject the shot round and chamber a slug.

Well, I was practicing my loading and realized that if you doublestroke the bolt handle (one full pull to the rear and then let the bolt go 1" forward and then pull it to the rear again) the bolt locks open against the lifter. This "jam" can be cleared a few different ways, but notable is that I can insert a fresh round into the port which moves the lifter, clears the jam, and the bolt falls on the new round. Is this trick just something that just works with a stiff new M2 or do all Benelli's do this trick reliably?

I don't yet know if this technique works consistently but if it does it seems like the quickest way to stoke my shotgun with a new round with one hand. Magazine loading the slug and then dumping (or hitting a popper) a shot seems more time consuming but I really need some live fire range time to be sure.

There are two ways really but only one you would really use - the slow way would be to simply pull the bolt back, holding it back after the shell ejects, hold the frame whilst also holding the bolt back and with the weak hand grab the slug and drop it in the body and then release the bolt, this is all thumbs and fingers and take some practice to perfect, and of course only really works if you want to fire one slug - the faster way would simply to load the slugs into the magazine as per normal and shoot safely the chambered birdshot shell downrange, preferably at an unshot target, and hence the slug is now chambered and ready to fire.

If there are better ways I have never seen them.

Well my English friend, there are more than 2 ways to skin this cat :) the third is to sweep the bolt handle back with your weak hand, hold it back while supporting the shotgun (palm right below the trigger guard) grab a slug with your right hand (assuming you're a righty) from the carrier wear on the strong side, drop the shell in the port and you're back in biz-ness :) This is a bit quicker but still not as quick as loading one before firing the chambered bird shot at a target (not wasting any shots of course :) )

P.S - If I am not mistaken, the true intent of select slug is to switch out buck shots for slug in certain applications so one must eject the chambered shell without firing it.

Edited by PacMan

You are of course correct my friend - that way does seem faster than simply holding it back the other way I described

I wasnt aware of the switch without firing it thing and in that case your way sounds best !

Hope you are well mate and love to Katie

• 4 weeks later...

I have a video that someone posted regarding the weekhand sweep/select reload, that shows it being done pretty quickly.

I don't know how to post it, but I can email it to any who are interested in seeing it.

5Shot

• 2 weeks later...

Simply grab a slug between the thumb & fore finger, rap the pinkie around the bolt handle, pull fast to the rear ejecting the live rd. at the same time dumping the slug in & release. I can usually do it in about 1 sec. & don't have to burn a rd. & then shoot the slug.

Simply grab a slug between the thumb & fore finger, rap the pinkie around the bolt handle, pull fast to the rear ejecting the live rd. at the same time dumping the slug in & release. I can usually do it in about 1 sec. & don't have to burn a rd. & then shoot the slug.

I'll be working on this on Saturday. BTW, still learning how the Benelli works, after this first one is inserted in the above method, can I just load subsequent slugs in the bottom or is there another round on the carrier (I don't think there is, but frankly can't remember)?

Rich