Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cover Garment Vest Vs T-shirt?

ArnisAndyz

At the last IDPA match I wenet to I decided to get some practice in using my standard carry IWB holster and my normal T-shirt for cover. I've always worn a vest before. I found out that it really wasn't that much slower, which really surprised me. When wearing a vest, I would use my shooting hand to swipe it away to get to the gun. With a T-shirt I use my off hand to clear the shirt leaving a clear path to the gun for the shooting hand. An added benift is usually the shirt stay up over the magazine holders offering a clear path for a reload. With a vest I have to flick it open before going for a mag. I'll have to test it with a timer to see what the difference is but I was just wondering if anyone actually prefers using an untucked T-shirt instead of a vest?

At the last IDPA match I wenet to I decided to get some practice in using my standard carry IWB holster and my normal T-shirt for cover. I've always worn a vest before. I found out that it really wasn't that much slower, which really surprised me.

---snip---

The fellow that posts here under "Koski", is the fastest guy I have ever seen using the Hackathorn rip technique. He has taken high overal two years in a row at the Idaho State IDPA match not wearing a vest. The rest of his game is spot on too, but it is amazing to see him draw.

This is notable because it is the exception. Most people are considerably faster using a vest.

Ken Reed

I could not begin to conceal a gun under a t-shirt. I shot the '05 Idaho match of which Ken speaks, and I couldn't believe that guy had a gun on, and I think it was a Glock in a kydex IWB holster. I usually dress for the weather, so I am often using coats of various weights for cover garments. In the Summer, I wear a big Hawaiian shirt, over a t-shirt, for cover.

freeidaho

Since some of us do not follow the doctrine of Ken Hackathorn, please advise what is the rip technique?

Personally, I believe he will opt for a vest the first time his pistol gets tangled in the T shirt..lol :lol:

TightLoop,

I'm no expert, but here goes. The support hand grabs the cover garment just in front of the holster and rips it up vigorously. This motion uncovers the gun and the holster. Then the draw continues pretty much as normal. The support hand is usually slower to catch up with the draw than in a normal presentation.

I suspect it is like anything else, after 10,000 repetitions or more, it get faster.

Ken Reed

I could not begin to conceal a gun under a t-shirt. I shot the '05 Idaho match of which Ken speaks, and I couldn't believe that guy had a gun on, and I think it was a Glock in a kydex IWB holster. I usually dress for the weather, so I am often using coats of various weights for cover garments. In the Summer, I wear a big Hawaiian shirt, over a t-shirt, for cover.

Rick,

Thanks again for working that match! ! ! We really needed the help and experience. I appreciated it. Sure missed you this year.

Koski definitely was shooting Glock from IWB. It was good to see him do well. Really nice guy too.

Ken Reed

Thanks for the replies. Living here in Florida its very rare, maybe 2 or 3 months out of the year we wear any kind of jacket. Most of the time its a T-shirt or Golf shirt and shorts or jeans so for CCW I practice drawing from what I'm more likely to wear. But when match day comes I usually put on that vest. I would say right now its a wash. I practice more with the T-shirt so I'm comfortable with it. The vest may be a bit faster for me but not by much. Right now the practice of drawing from my daily carry is more valuable to me than the half-second I gain from the vest. I think I'm going to stay with the T-shirt for a while, at least in the hot months. When it cools down and people are actually wearing jackets then I'll probably shoot the matches wearing a vest/jacket.

Vest.

What happens when your shirt dose'nt stay up over your mags?

I applaude what your doing. I carry IWB under a Tee-Shirt most of the year. But I would'nt do it in a match.

Why? Because it's a game to me. Same reason I shoot a 1911, or a G35. Not my G27.

But, practice is good ;)

Vest.

What happens when your shirt dose'nt stay up over your mags?

I applaude what your doing. I carry IWB under a Tee-Shirt most of the year. But I would'nt do it in a match.

Why? Because it's a game to me. Same reason I shoot a 1911, or a G35. Not my G27.

But, practice is good ;)

If the shirt doesn't stay up its cleared with a tug of the off hand. I'd rather find out any problems on clearing the T-shirt in practice or a match than in real-life. I used to game it more but I've gone through some personal conflicts on if I want to do it for competition or if there is anything that can be benificial training for self-defense. Right now I'm willing to sacrifice my standings to get better at drawing from my shirt, use cover correctly, etc. Next couple months that might change and I might shoot for score and push the rules.

Bottom line is this...anytime you have to take one hand off the gun...it has potential for bad shots...a vest is the same each time, consistent, and that is what you want...not tight once and loose the next ....the same shot to shot, draw to draw...that is what wins...

If you don;'t care about winning..do whatever you feel like at the moment, but consistency is the best.. :D

I've only shot one sanctioned match with shirt rather than vest. It was in Sacramento and near 100 degrees. The advantage of one less garment outweighed any slight competitive disadvantage. (Hey... me turning up at any match is by definition a competitive disadvantage :unsure: )

But fun to have a few people ask me "Aren't you shooting? Where's your gun?" :lol:

I too use an untucked shirt for carry and IDPA. I use a technieque I learned from an Insights Training class although I have tried the Hackathorn Rip.

Insights teaches to use the curled fingers to lift the bottom of the cover garment over the pistol grip and use the thumb to keep the garment off of the grip until it is drawn. It's easier to demonstrate than describe.

Since it's one handed, you don't have to worry about the off hand being out of position.

It's kinda fun, being the only one at a match that doesn't look like a wanna be photographer.

Thanks, Gringop

"Shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot."