Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holding The Gun Steady

1911jerry

I have completed my relocation to Texas from Kalifornia. I am now getting more involved out here in shooting matches. I am finding that my grip on the 1911 isn't what it used to be as I get older.

Any suggestion for tighter grip on the gun. It has affected my accuracy somewhat.

Thanks

Jerry

Speaking as a C shooter and NOT as an expert....

I've had trouble with this for a long time. I finally figured it out a couple of months ago, though!

The key is in the isometric tension between your left hand pulling in and your right hand pushing out. Once you find that equilibrium point, the gun stays steady.

I used the isometric tension stuff ala Weaver for years and it worked pretty well. Then I read Brian's book, the grip info there is pure gold, and now get much better control. Read the book and start experimenting is my best advice.

Grip strengthening and upper body strengthening should help as well.

I used the isometric tension stuff ala Weaver for years and it worked pretty well. Then I read Brian's book, the grip info there is pure gold, and now get much better control. Read the book and start experimenting is my best advice.

Grip strengthening and upper body strengthening should help as well.

That , and whatever your strength is , don't use all of it .( too much force = shake ).

A loose grip doesn't seem to affect accuracy if your trigger pull is well honed.

Isolation of the movement of the trigger finger from the rest of the hand is the key.

Just .02 from a C shooter.

Travis F.

• 4 weeks later...

No easy answers, as there are many variables.

Practice is the key and starting with light loads and working up.

Volume does not help and can only make things worse.

Starting with only a few rounds a session and working towards accuracy at each practice.

I know it took me years to learn how to handle my 45. I always shot revolvers and loved them.

That 45 and me never got along. But an ol Bulls-eye shooter always said slow and easy. It’s only in your mind. We shot together for years and he was correct. Shooting daily helped and we both learned a lot from each other.

Sometimes we develop a fear of what we are doing and do not realize it and once we relax and enjoy what we are doing it gets easy and we lose that hidden fear. Obtaining the handling techniques needed to handle the firearm. Always remembering one shot one hit on target. Speed comes with practice and do it often.

Loving what you are doing is a plus

A "strong" grip isn't really necessary, if you can relax and let the recoil happen. A "solid" grip is what you are going for, that doesn't slip or change during recoil, movement, etc. I find myself barely holding on to the gun sometimes, just letting it bang up and down at the wrist.

You might also consider switching platforms. I know I'll be crucified for saying this, but the 1911 grip angle is weaker than most other grip angles, since the wrists are canted so far to the rear. Glock is on the other extreme, with your strong wrist much closer to locking forward.

H.

I agree with Houngan.

Sometimes I shoot with really really soft hands, yet the front sight will go up and right back to where it started. The gun doesn't shake, and I can shoot pretty darn quickly with all the accuracy I am capable of.

I read something that IIRC was attributed to TGO, it said something like 'take a normal firing grip, squeeze until the gun starts to shake, let off just until the gun becomes steady, and that is what you need to use for your optimal grip tension'. That level would depend on individual hand strength. I have done this too and like it very much. I work with my hands and have fairly strong hands, using this method it is easier for me to track the front sight through its entire travel.

I don't subscribe to the push/pull methods any more, not since reading and applying what Brian tells us in his book. It simply works too much better to ever go back.