Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I was flying the other day on Southwest. I declared ammo at the counter. No firearm, just ammo. I asked if she was going to tell the TSA folks in back. She (counterperson) said no.

I get to my destination.

There is a red striped tag on my bag.

Has anyone experieced this same tag?

Does anyone actually know what it means?

Being ignorant at the moment, I am treating it like a "STEAL ME" tag.

I was flying the other day on Southwest. I declared ammo at the counter. No firearm, just ammo. I asked if she was going to tell the TSA folks in back. She (counterperson) said no.

I get to my destination.

There is a red striped tag on my bag.

Has anyone experieced this same tag?

Does anyone actually know what it means?

Being ignorant at the moment, I am treating it like a "STEAL ME" tag.

It means that the bag was opened by TSA for inspection. I guess they are under some regulation to mark bags that get opened.

It means that the bag was opened by TSA for inspection. I guess they are under some regulation to mark bags that get opened.

Never seen the red tag from TSA. If they open your bag to inspect, they put in a piece of paper inside. What does the tag say?

Never seen the red tag from TSA. If they open your bag to inspect, they put in a piece of paper inside. What does the tag say?

The tag that I had was sort of a metallic plastic thing. I forget if there was something inside. This was some time ago and it was on a trip w/o firearms or ammo.

Hi All,

Well I was pretty concerned so I started the research. First I checked TSA website-nothing.

Then I called Southwest. Their Customer Service is quite good. I was asked some questions, then put on hold for a minute or so.

Their representative said, Southwest has changed their overweight tag. They put the tag on so, when placing the bag in the airplance they will orient so as to balance out the weight.

She was very nice about the whole thing and admitted she did not know SWA had made the change.

BTW: What caught me by surprise was that there was nothing inside the bag that showed that TSA had looked at it. I have seen those tags before, that is why I was concerned.

Usually the 'heavy' tags say so on them.. wierd that one didn't, but they are usually red/white or orange in my experience (you shoulda seen the Southwest folks when I checked a 49lb carry-on sized bag of aluminum blocks once..). Maybe too many large-statured people objected to bags tagged 'HEAVY' (like the lady going to Fresno was upset her tags said 'FAT', until they explained that is the airport code.. :ph34r:)

As a highly trained overly educated aircraft everything professional for over twenty years I'd be more than happy to explain this occurance to you.

They use the red tags when they run out of the blue tags...

:D:PB)

+1

Southwest uses a little white and red tag that goes "Inside the gun case" it is just stating the gun is unloaded. No marking is allowed by company policy on the outside of case saying it contains a firearm.

TSA has been using color felt tip markers on the airport destination tags lately to show inspection status, and they still throw there little tag in the case when they open it.

Edited by blkbrd

Last time I travelled with Continental (October) I noticed one of my checked bags was marked with a handwritten, circled F... and low and behold, that was the one my firearm was in. <_< I usually travel with Continental and never saw that before.

We were also held hostage (due to "weather conditions") in the aircraft on the tarmac for 5 or 6 hours (can't recall exactly and don't want to remember). No food except preztels and water. Our 3 1/2 hour flight turned into a 13 hour nightmare. I doubt I'll fly on Continental much anymore...

Sharyn,

From what airport did your flight originate? When we flew to SC on American, we had no markings on our bags out of Dallas, but when we left LA the TSA marked the bag with guns in the same manner you described evidently when it went through their inspection. I didn't see the marking until we claimed our bags in Dallas.