Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers For 9mm Major

joaquino

I have a STI shorty in 9mm Major and the problem that sometimes it shows some ignition problem. It looks that some parts of the primers blocking the hole.

This happened now with Federal 100.

the load it self is 7.4grain Longshot, 124 Speer Bullet oal. 29mm

Going to try now Federal 200, Winchester SP and Magtech SP.

Does somebody out there experienced the same problem? How did you solve it?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by joaquino

First off; in 9MM Major like 38 Super you should be using Small Rifle primers and not Small Pistol. The Small Pistol primers will flow back into the firing pin hole too easily. The Small Pistol primers will also often not seal well enough to keep gases from escaping and this will cause erosion of the breechface of the slide. This is why most people that use high presure rounds like 9 Major or 38 Super use Small Rifle primers.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

I have a STI shorty in 9mm Major and the problem that sometimes it shows some ignition problem. It looks that some parts of the primers blocking the hole.

This happened now with Federal 100.

the load it self is 7.4grain Longshot, 124 Speer Bullet oal. 29mm

Going to try now Federal 200, Winchester SP and Magtech SP.

Does somebody out there experienced the same problem? How did you solve it?

Cheers

Chris

I use Small Rifle primers. CCI and Winchester

The problem that you described happended to me on an older gun. I corrected it by installing a Limcat Extended firing pin. I think that you will find that an extended firing pin will be the ticket.

Carl

no problems in my 9major using Winchester small PISTOL primers. In the past with the pf at 175 a lot of folks had to use small rifle and so you will see it recommended a lot for the 9's and supers.

With the lower pf now it may not be as necessary for YOUR load. It is true that small rifle primers are harder and prevent primer flow however, keep in mind by using the harder small rifle primer you may disguise some early pressure signs as well.

a long firing pin and federal 200s works for me.

ive gone up to 180 power factor with HS6 in my gun w/o any primer troubles.

IMO the federal 200 is better than the WSR in regards to pressure..as they are easier to ignite(good for glock limited guns) and hold pressure as well as the rifle primers. when i shoot up all these WSR primers in my open gun...ill only buy federal 200s...though they are more expensive than winchester primers, its easier to stock only one primer for different applications.

Harmon

Yestreday I tried some Primers...

Federal 100 -> to soft

Magtech Sp -> to soft

CCI SR -> to soft

Winchester Sp and Federal 200 are working 99%. Guess I'll get the 100% with the extended firing pin, hope it will arrive soon

Cheers

CHris

Edited by joaquino

Got the long pin yesterday.

tried it this morning with WSP and Federal 200, both are working now 100%, no malfunctions.

only difference Federal 200 are a bit more snapy, gues the root cause for that is the higher intial pressure of the primer.

Finaly I'll stay with the WSP because I use them as well as in my Standard and Modified blaster.

Thanks for all the inputs

Cheers

Chris